JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

my painfull lesson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stalt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: my painfull lesson Reply with quote

Hey all,

I just cost myself $70 so I will explain it here so hopefully you wont do anything so stupid!

I have a Toshiba DVD recorder RD-XS32 bought off Ebay with no remote.

I had a URC-9911 programed to do everything the factory remote would do and it worked fine. I used it to do everything I needed the recorder to do for about a year now.

The 9911 was on its last legs...the volume buttons were only working 40% of the time and the 3 and 6 both stuck.

So I bought a new URC 9966. programed it with the codes in the manual and when I tried to control the DVD player I got a code on the player that said DR1.

Checked the manual and it indicated that that meant the address of the DVD and the remote were not in sync. the factory remote could in fact control up to 3 different Toshiba recorders...so what did I do>

I decided to change the address of the DVD recorder to DR2. easy enough with the 9911.

Now the problem is obvious. I changed the address of the DVD player, but the 99911 or 9966 could not be programed to the corresponding address as the factory remote could!

So now I have had to order the factory remote so I can change the address back...

$70 was the cost....

Yeah I am dumb....
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had asked us before ordering the factory remote, we might have been able to find out the code info for the other 2 unit codes.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably shouldn't have given up so easy.

There are often master reset combinations (front panel buttons) that reset units back to out-of-box settings. (research obviously required + I have a few Toshiba service manual disks at work)

Again with research, but with JP1 cables and software, you might have been able to create an upgrade that would operate the new settings by changing the device and subdevice in the protocol parameters. Commands tend to stay the same, just parts of the protocol change in many cases of switchable factory remotes. If you don't have one, a JP1 cable is much less that $70 also.

With a little isopropyl alchohol, your 9911 might clean right up (disassemble and clean pads and board).
stalt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: continued Reply with quote

Well if you are offering help I will gladly accept.

I do have the JP1 cable and have soldered a six pin into the new remote (URC9966 - same as 9960)

I loaded the device file from the device section but did not see an option to change the remote address which is what I would need to do.

if someone can help me figure that out I would be thrilled.

I am using IR obviously and remote master
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can ask UEI if they have the info for the other unit codes, but that will have to wait until Monday.

In the meantime, could you post the instructions for changing the unit code on the remote. Then, if we can find someone else who has a recorder, maybe we can get them to change the unit code and learn the signals.

I created the JP1 upgrade file (and I don't have a recorder) so that's a non starter, but I got the info from a CCF file over at R/C so I've just emailed the person who created it to see if he will learn the other unit codes for us.
stalt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: remote address change Reply with quote

the instructions to change the address of the remote are to hold the setup button and then push button #1,2 ,3 depending on what address you want the remote to be(and match the DVd player).

I would need to change the remote to #2 as I changed the DVd to #2...
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get to any service manuals until Monday but there is a note in the Installation Manual that if the batteries are removed from the remote or if the time indicator is flashing then you need to recheck the codes. (DR-1, 2 or 3) This might mean that the recorder resets back to DR-1 after a power outage.

The disadvantage to trying this power down step would be if you have programs running and it did not reset to DR-1 then you couldn't control anything but what still can be done with front panel buttons and your scheduled recordings would fail to take place. (and from some comments at AVSforum you might not be able to do manual recordings either until you set the clock)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Stalt,
What code or upgrade were you using to control the recorder with the 9910? Were you using the standard DVD/0503 code, or an upgrade that used NEC1 with device code 69 (and no sub-device)? If so, there might be hope. I asked Edmund if he knew anything about this and he replied that he thinks DVD/1988 is the "unit 2" code. This setup code uses NEC1, device code 69 and sub-device 188, which just happens to match the Toshiba recorder upgrade file in the upgrade section. So, if that wasn't what you were using in the first place, give it a try.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: my painfull lesson Reply with quote

If the above discussions are accurate, and one can make an educated guess, it appears likely that the difference in unit codes manifests itself as different sub-device numbers in the upgrade, where the protocol and device number and functions will all remain the same across the three unit codes.
stalt wrote:
So now I have had to order the factory remote so I can change the address back...
If you have, in fact, ordered the factory remote, then all of the above discussions may be rendered moot, since you will have all of the tools you need to learn all of the remote functions for each unit code in your possession, hence confirming/refuting the speculation, and building the real no-kidding upgrades corresponding to the three unit codes.

Then you could return the new factory remote (since you'll only use it for about 2 hours) for a complete refund. Wink and the JP1 community will be the beneficiary of your research efforts.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
stalt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Hey Stalt,
What code or upgrade were you using to control the recorder with the 9910? Were you using the standard DVD/0503 code, or an upgrade that used NEC1 with device code 69 (and no sub-device)? If so, there might be hope. I asked Edmund if he knew anything about this and he replied that he thinks DVD/1988 is the "unit 2" code. This setup code uses NEC1, device code 69 and sub-device 188, which just happens to match the Toshiba recorder upgrade file in the upgrade section. So, if that wasn't what you were using in the first place, give it a try.

The Device file in the device section uses code 1503 and that was what I was using.

protocol - NEC1
Proto ID 00 5A
Device # - 69
Sub Device - 188
Parm:
Fixed Data - 20 5D C2

as stated ..I was able to change the machinne to DR2, but the remote as far as I can figure cannot be changed to DR2....
stalt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Power Down Reply with quote

Hey all thought I would let you know I unplugged the DVD player overnight and in the morning when I plugged it in the clock was correct and the DVD recorder was still at DR-2, so there must be an internal battery. perhaps I would have to open up the DVD Recorder and take out the battery for a few minutes to get it to reset.....
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Down Reply with quote

stalt wrote:
take out the battery for a few minutes to get it to reset.....
I found a link to a service manual. There is indeed a lithium backup battery on the power board (a CR2032 button cell connected through a 23 pin plugin connector - CN101). This may not help, however. The unit has a 64Kbit eeprom and a 96Mbit flash rom (firmware?) connected to the main CPU. Unless there is volatile memory inside the CPU, this thing is going to hold on to as many settings as possible.

There are zero adjustments or alignments in the manual. It was obviously not intended to ever actually be serviced, except for simple parts swaps. This is typical of all digital recorders since the factories don't want anyone touching them because of Macrovision, CPRM, and CSS issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: