JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

newbie problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
screenname

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: newbie problem Reply with quote

Got a 8910 from this site and a home made JP1 cable. When I try to upgrade the sat device, the upload process seems to go OK. However, the Sat device code is always set to 392 no matter what I put in IR.exe .
floyd1977

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using an extender by any chance?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does "seems to go OK" mean? That's a very vague statement.

How many blinks of the little simulated LED in the lower left hand corner of IR do you get? What does the display of the 8910 indicate during the upload? after you disconnect the cable?

When you say "the SAT device code is always set to 392" this is equally vague.

Is this the display in IR? is it the display on the LCD screen of the remote?

So when you upload to the remote, you have the SAT device asssigned as your upgrade's setup code, but when you download back FROM the remote it says 0392?

It's not enough to just add the upgrade on the Devices Tab. Did you remember to set the desired device code on the General Tab?

Do you see how much more detail you could have provided to help someone try to figure out what going on?

Have you tried changing the device code manually on the remote? Does that work?

If you have no additional luck, upload your IR file and the upgrade to the diagnosis area and post links to them here. Detailed descriptions accompanying them would be helpful.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you try assigning a bad code to a device button in IR and then load it into the remote, the remote's software detects the bad code and replaces it with the default setup code for that device button, which in this case is SAT/0392.

Therefore, you should try to determine what's wrong with the code that you're trying to assign to the SAT button.

1) For starters, did you set both parts of the code correctly? In other words, did you select the correct device mode and enter the correct code?
2) Is it an upgrade or a built in code?
3) If it's a built in code, are you sure it's in the remote? What is the code?
4) If it's an upgrade, does the upgrade require a protocol upgrade, and if so, did you remember to copy it?

If you save your IR file and post a copy of it in the Diagnosis Area, then post a link to it here, I bet any one of the experts will spot the error in less than 5 seconds.
screenname

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
What does "seems to go OK" mean? That's a very vague statement.

Sorry, I am a newbie. By "seems to go OK", I meant there is no error message of any kind.

Quote:
How many blinks of the little simulated LED in the lower left hand corner of IR do you get? What does the display of the 8910 indicate during the upload? after you disconnect the cable?

I believe there were two blinks. Because of my cable, the remote was face down and I can't see the LCD display. After the upload, all the LCD segments were on for about a second or so.

Quote:
When you say "the SAT device code is always set to 392" this is equally vague.

Is this the display in IR? is it the display on the LCD screen of the remote?

When I click the Sat button on the 8910, it shows 392. This is the same code I set it from the remote itself. I use code 1000 from IR.exe.

Quote:
So when you upload to the remote, you have the SAT device asssigned as your upgrade's setup code, but when you download back FROM the remote it says 0392?

yes

Quote:
It's not enough to just add the upgrade on the Devices Tab. Did you remember to set the desired device code on the General Tab?

maybe this is my problem! I will check when I get home tonight.
Thanks.

Quote:
Have you tried changing the device code manually on the remote? Does that work?

yes, yes

Quote:
If you have no additional luck, upload your IR file and the upgrade to the diagnosis area and post links to them here. Detailed descriptions accompanying them would be helpful.

Thank you.
screenname

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If you try assigning a bad code to a device button in IR and then load it into the remote, the remote's software detects the bad code and replaces it with the default setup code for that device button, which in this case is SAT/0392.

Therefore, you should try to determine what's wrong with the code that you're trying to assign to the SAT button.

1) For starters, did you set both parts of the code correctly? In other words, did you select the correct device mode and enter the correct code?
2) Is it an upgrade or a built in code?
3) If it's a built in code, are you sure it's in the remote? What is the code?
4) If it's an upgrade, does the upgrade require a protocol upgrade, and if so, did you remember to copy it?

If you save your IR file and post a copy of it in the Diagnosis Area, then post a link to it here, I bet any one of the experts will spot the error in less than 5 seconds.

It is an upgrade and not built in code.
Not sure about your point #4. I downloaded the upgrade file for Pansat 3500 from this site to RM and transfer it from RM to IR. Will work on it some more tonight.

Thank you for the quick shipment of the remote.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you were under the impression that simply adding an upgrade to the remote's memory also assigned it to a device button, but this is not the case. Adding an upgrade is basically the same as adding a code to the list of codes in the manual, you still need to manually assign the code to a device button yourself.

As for point #4. Sometimes when you process an upgrade in RM (or KM) there are two blocks of code that need to be added. You will always need to add the device upgrade itself, which you paste into the Devices tab in IR, but sometimes there's a second block of code called a protocol that needs to be added to the Protocols tab in IR.

For more detailed information, read this...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/rm.shtml
screenname

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help.
Found my problem. Somehow I messed up the device code in IR. Now the fun begins. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: