JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Remote Master vs KM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
just4fn

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Remote Master vs KM Reply with quote

I have been using KM for a while now and have programmed my 2117 extender 3. I am using lkp, dsm, and keymoves on other keys. I purchased a slingbox and have now used remote master to program my slingbox to be used with my ipod. I can now control my IPOD and DLO homedock from anywhere.

I just entered this post thinking RM replaced IR. I just figured out it replaced KM.

What is liked better- RM or KM?

Sometimes you think you know whats going on then you realize you don't.

Thanks, Doug

Last edited by just4fn on Wed May 31, 2006 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KM was first so more people are used to KM.

KM can do a few things RM can't (a gradually shrinking list). RM can do a few things KM can't (a gradually growing list).

For several of the things that both do, RM has a slightly more understandable UI, but only for those who don't already know the KM way.

In my opinion RM is better. I think at some point it will be a solid enough advantage that Rob will drop KM. But we're not there yet.

Also some people may have issues with installing Sun Java on some computers. I use a couple computers where Microsoft Java must be the default Java for both the .jar extension and Internet Explorer. I still manage to use Sun Java for RM and (unrelated to using it for RM) for Mozilla Firefox. The install instructions for both Sun Java and RM should both do a better job of telling you how to use it with Sun Java not default for .jar, but it doesn't turn out to be very hard.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
In my opinion RM is better. I think at some point it will be a solid enough advantage that Rob will drop KM. But we're not there yet.

Actually, I dropped KM back at version 5.19, Mark Pierson has been at the helm ever since. I still know more about protocols than Mark, so I tend to do the protocol related quick fixes but Mark does most of the other work.

We've already scaled back how much we do to KM. For example, we don't automatically add new remotes to it when they surface. But one major reason why KM will probably always stick around is portability. Despite the fact that Java is supposedly the most portable language around and can run on most platforms, if you lack the authority to install it on your machine (which is the case in many offices) you're stuck with using KM.

Plus, as RM can import KM files and KM cannot import RM files, I still prefer to create upgrades in KM format so they're available to a wider audience.

There's also the fact that cut & pasting from KM to a spreadsheet is alot easier than doing the same with RM, and being a protocol developer among other things, I find myself using cut & paste alot!
floyd1977

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, RM is more portable. Although I have access to Excel at work, I haven't been willing to pay $200+ to install MS Excel on my home PC. Yes, there are some people who buy cheap PCs without MS Office pre-installed Smile
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floyd1977 wrote:
For me, RM is more portable. Although I have access to Excel at work, I haven't been willing to pay $200+ to install MS Excel on my home PC. Yes, there are some people who buy cheap PCs without MS Office pre-installed

That, of course, is one of the main reasons that we developed RM (though I think you can get Excel for a little less than $200) Smile
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
(though I think you can get Excel for a little less than $200)
You can get Excel, Word, and Outlook in the MS Office Student and Teacher Edition for $149 (list) and anywhere from $99-$149 retail. The nice thing about MSOSTE is that you're licensed to install/use it on up to 3 PC's at the same time.

Of course, technically you need to be a student or a teacher. Since I have 2 "students" in the house, I'm all set. Wink
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, there's always ebay. Somebody recently scooped up a copy of Excel for just $31 plus shipping ($9): item 7244449642
floyd1977

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointers, guys.

I also found it for $82.99 on this edirectsoftware.com:

http://www.edirectsoftware.com/product.php?product_id=16231

It looks to be legit, and the site seems professional. Either that, or they saw gullible me coming a mile away!
radio1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

I'm new here. But You can always go the openoffice route or even try out Google's new spreadsheet @ labs.google.com.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a spreadsheet, openoffice is OK. If you want to run KM, it isn't. If you don't have Excel, use RM instead of KM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: