JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Philips Bookshelf System
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ncoig

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whompus wrote:
If converted right obc 103 should convert to efc 009.

Well, that's the problem. KM didn't do the conversion like that, and was part of the reason I spent so long trying to decipher the codes.
Quote:

When you get the upgrade completed could you please upload it. Maybe it will give his unit more functions. If lucky it may even give it all functions.

Well, it's encouraging to know that the 5+ hours I spent fiddling with this will be appreciated by someone. Smile

Let me know how it goes.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3272

Thanks for the help.

-N

Last edited by ncoig on Mon May 29, 2006 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
ncoig

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whompus wrote:

I would still likely try the combiner for it, as its protocol is about half the size of the protocol for the combo.

Yeah, this is correct - 125 vs 69 bits or bytes or whatever in the Upgrade memory. But after looking at the dissertation above for using the DC, until I need the space, I think I'm sticking with the version I made. If you get industrious with your grandson's setup and make a DC version, let me know. Smile

-N

Last edited by ncoig on Mon May 29, 2006 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
ncoig

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
I'm happy that the RC5 Combo works for you.

I'm sorry you got upset with my suggestion about converting OBC's to EFC's. I submit that it depends HOW you convert them to EFCs that will determine whether or not they work.

But that's a discussion for a later time.

Upset? Not hardly, just doesn't work within the parameters of KM without the serious massaging that you outline above, which is anything but apparent - but then again, that's part of the fun, discovering how to make each of these things work!

Quote:
P.S You're welcome

Geez, Captain, I was going to get to that. The last posts were written at 5AM after staring at this stuff for several hours. Sorry to have slighted you.

THANKS!

-N
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice upgrade! It certainly is the memory hog, though, as has been previously pointed out:

82 bytes of device upgrade and 121 bytes of protocol upgrade consumes over 200 bytes of upgrade memory, and 186 bytes of keymove memory is nothing to sneeze at. Surprised

Although you state that currently you don't need to economize on memory, I might suggest several alternative avenues to consider.

(1) Not knowing how many components you are controlling with this remote, you might want to consider two separate upgrades using the basic RC-5 protocol, each covering three of the device numbers (16, 116, 17, and 18, 20, 21). Then assign them to Aux 1 and Aux 2, respectively, or Aux 1/2 and CD, and not have to mess around with too many shifted buttons. These two upgrades, with fewer keymoves and NO protocol upgrades required, should save you BUTTLOADs of memory.

A quick example that I have worked up for Tuner/Amp and CD/Tape separate devices yield (respectively)
(a) 38 byte upgrade + 50 byte Keymoves and
(b) 36 byte upgrade + 25 byte Keymove upgrades,
for a total of 74 bytes of upgrade (compared to 203 bytes) plus 75 bytes of keymoves (compared to 186). It's worth thinking about.

(2) If you really want to retain your button mapping on a single device button, using two upgrades may STILL be more efficient. Put the three device numbers with the most functions you want on native buttons (not keymoves) into a single RC-5 upgrade - keymove the stragglers into the upgrade. Create a second RC-5 upgrade using the remaining three device numbered functions, but assign them exclusively to keymoved buttons. After importing these device upgrades into IR (You will have to temporarily assign the second upgrade to a device button), simply reassign all of the keymoved functions from the second upgrade to the same device button as the first upgrade. Again, the two RC-5 upgrades will probably use less memory than the RC-5/5X Combo upgrade, but you may require a few extra keymoves to get the mapping you wanted.

(3) If you really want all of these functions in a single upgrade, then I've retained your precise button mapping but I've rewickered these data into a Device Combiner upgrade HERE. I really have no idea if it will work (I sorta think it should), but it yields 80 bytes of device upgrade and 77 bytes of protocol upgrade consuming only 157 bytes of upgrade memory, and 186 bytes of keymove memory. A net savings of 46 bytes of upgrade memory from your RC-5/5X Combo upgrade.

As you can see, lot's of flexibility in JP1.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
ncoig

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:

(1) Not knowing how many components you are controlling with this remote, you might want to consider two separate upgrades

Yeah, the remote is pretty full already, with a DVD, Snapstream, X10, TiVo, TV, VCR, CD, etc. on it. Thus, I've only got one device button to spare... Which is why I was so hell-bent on the single device.

Quote:

(2) If you really want to retain your button mapping on a single device button, using two upgrades may STILL be more efficient.
[....]
As you can see, lot's of flexibility in JP1.

Neat ideas - and when it gets to crunch time with memory, I'll probably look into that. As it stands now, the wife is irritated enough with my toying, so I'd better leave well enough alone.

One option you forgot - two upgrades and using the device multiplexor. That'd probably be even more efficient, and just assign a "Shift" key as the multiplexor changer.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

-N
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: