JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

2116ex2 Keymap master keymoves with logical devices?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: 2116ex2 Keymap master keymoves with logical devices? Reply with quote

My goal was to define everything about a device in the keymap file and I got stuck when I wanted to do a ToadTog, since the ToadTog device is one of the logical devices. OOPS - see my edit below. I don't even know if the keymove import/export format can handle it or not. Is there a way to do this?

I know this is more a keymap master question than it is an extenter question, but it wouldn't really have been an issue without the logical devices in the 2116ex2 extender.

I edited my own message, because I realized that I had it phrased wrong. What I really need to ask is when using the Key Moves sheet, how do you specify the key move so that Device Type and Setup Code are set to the ToadTog device in the keymap code?

Last edited by pH7_jp1 on Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it's not possible to do any advanced key moves, etc, within KM.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Follow-up question for Mark Reply with quote

Thanks, Mark. I was editing my original question at the same time you were answering it. You may want to look at the question I really meant to ask. What is the definition of "advanced key moves"? I am able to specify hex command and get a multi-byte command as needed by ToadTog and LKP into the code and imported into IR and I would have considered that to be "advanced". But I am probably misunderstanding the term the way you meant it.

Is the format of the keymove import/export code documented anywhere?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Mark is trying to say is this: The keymove feature that was added to KM was just designed to allow you to assign functions to buttons that are not part of the keymap that you are using (so you can keep your upgrade all in one place).

If you are trying to set up keymoves to work the Toadtog special protocol, you really should be doing them in IR.exe, which is how the process was designed.

Rob
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Follow-up question for Mark Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
What is the definition of "advanced key moves"?

As Rob already said, anything that cannot be done directly from the defined functions in KM is what i consider "advanced" and is better done via IR. I suppose you could define the multi-byte manual-entry hex commands on the Functions sheet and then assign them to buttons, but I can't guarantee that KM will generate the correct key move code.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping my upgrade all in one place is kinda' what I was trying to do. This is for my cable box and I want to do the page up and page down (menu commands) as a LKP on the up and down arrows and since the cable box is a TOAD I also wanted to define Discrete ON and Discrete OFF as ToadTog commands. So, if I could have put these commands in KM then everything about my upgrade for the cable would have been nicely contained in that one file.

I had already tried what Mark suggested:
Quote:
define the multi-byte manual-entry hex commands on the Functions sheet and then assign them to buttons
KM does generate a key move code that can be imported in IR and is is almost correct except that the Device Type and Setup Code fields are for the cable device and I hoped to be able to control them in KM to be the ones I wanted, hence my original, poorly phrased question.

I have plenty of ways to accomplish what I want. I just hoped it could be done this way. Thanks for your responses.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would revive this old thread just to explain that I wasn't completely crazy (at least with respect to my original request). Wink

I switched from KM to RM and it allowed exactly what I wanted. Using the External Function sheet I was able to specify LKP and TOADTOG on buttons. Everything about the commands that were sent were all related to a single device (my cable box in my earlier example) but I needed to be able to specify the devices where the special protocols were assigned and RM allowed me to do this.

Problem solved.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
I switched from KM to RM and it allowed exactly what I wanted. Using the External Function sheet I was able to specify LKP and TOADTOG on buttons.

KM also supports External Functions, though it's not as elegant as RM's. It's documented in the readme, and will do what you described abov.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:

KM also supports External Functions, though it's not as elegant as RM's. It's documented in the readme, and will do what you described abov.

Thanks, Mark. I probably just didn't read carefully enough. I tried 2 different ways in KM to achieve what I wanted and neither worked.

First, I tried to use the Bound Device on the Keymoves sheet. This was just backwards of what I wanted. It generated code that allowed to define a keymove as part of the cable box device that applied to some other device.

Second, I used an undocumented feature (I think) of the Functions sheet where you can enter device_type:device_code in the Functions column and then use that function on a button or keymove. This generated the correct code, but had the problem that if there were 2 functions defined for the same external device, you could never pick any but the first one on the pull down on the Keymove or Buttons sheet. (Technically you could pick one of the later duplicates, but it would always use the first one.)

So, sorry if I misspoke when I said the KM couldn't do it. What actually happened is that I spent a lot of time trying to get KM to do it an failed. I spent a few minutes and RM did what I wanted.

If you can point me to the section of the readme that you were referring to, I would like to have the flexibility to use KM if I need some of its more advanced features.

Thanks
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
I used an undocumented feature (I think) of the Functions sheet where you can enter device_type:device_code in the Functions column and then use that function on a button or keymove.

This is documented in the readme (look for "External Functions").

Instead of
device_type:device_code
you use this syntax
=<dev_type>/<setup_code> <function_label>
in the Function column, then a direct hex entry in the EFC column. The hex MUST be prefixed or suffixed with 'h' for single bytes (h01 or 01h), and space delimited for multiples (AA BB or AA BB CC, etc). I'm also working on a fix that will allow you to paste in IR's hex format with the '$' ($AA $BB), and it should be in the next release.

As an example, in my 8810 extender setup, I have a DSM for my master power off. The DSM uses TV/1103. To set this up in KM, on the Functions sheet I would enter in the Functions column:
=TV/1103 DSM Power OFF
The EFC column would contain the hex cmd string of:
77 BD BE BF C0.

Say I want use this DSM on CBL/Power: on the Key Moves sheet, I would choose CBL as the Bound Dev, and Power as the Bound Key. The resulting key move code would be 03 C7 04 4F 77 BD BE BF C0 (which appears in the Key Move Code block on the Setup sheet).

Quote:
So, sorry if I misspoke when I said the KM couldn't do it. What actually happened is that I spent a lot of time trying to get KM to do it an failed. I spent a few minutes and RM did what I wanted.

No apology necessary. I admit the KM implementation is very kludgy (blame Excel, not me!). Spend a moment reviewing the readme and hopefully it will become clear.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Mark. When I was trying to do this with KM I was using version 7.53. Every time you said to look at the readme I went to that version and couldn't find anything. Now I see what you mean. That is why I said "undocumented feature" - because at that time it was and I only knew about it by hacking into the spreadsheet.

Mark Pierson wrote:

Instead of
device_type:device_code

When I typed my earlier message, I was doing it from memory (bad idea). When I was trying it before I was using the "/" not ":". And I was doing all the rest as you described except one thing.
Mark Pierson wrote:
=<dev_type>/<setup_code> <function_label>

Just seeing <function_label> in your message was all I needed. Idea My problem was that all functions I defined for the same device had the same name (because I didn't know about the label). Other than that one "minor" detail I had it right.

That was all shortly after I wrote the original message that started this thread. I went off hacking in KM 7.53 where you had this (partly?) implemented but not documented. I didn't keep up with more recent KM developments, so missed it when you finished and documented it. Oh well, timing is everything.
Quote:
(blame Excel, not me!)

I never would blame you. I appreciate all the fantastic work you have done in KM. My hacking time was not wasted, because I learned several great XL techniques while digging around in there and have already applied some of them to my own spreadsheets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: