JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Avoiding New Device Definition for Trivially Different Codes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruskal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Avoiding New Device Definition for Trivially Different Codes Reply with quote

I have a GE TV which has two modes, Locked and Program. The device code for locked is 0027 and program is 0021. The 8811 only has 0021 built-in. The difference is in the codes for CH+ and CH-.

I have learned the four codes for locked and program CH+/CH- in the IR file at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3028.

I could use RM to define a 0027 with only two functions and import that into IR and assign it to a unused device so that I could key move it over to TV. But that seems awfully heavy handed for such a simple customization. The two protocols differ only in device number.

Is there a more elegant way to make my TV settings have both locked and program CH+/CH- defined?

Thanks -- Vincent
sfhub

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if you can find a builtin device with the same protocol and device #.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2039
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acording to that spreadsheet, the 8811 doesn't have any of the built-in setup codes for NEC1, device 32.

It isn't that big a deal to create an upgrade for TV/0027 = NEC1, device 32, with no buttons defined (the upgrade does NOT need the two functions). Then use Keymoves to define the two functions.

It is possible to construct a whole new combo protocol, but that's a lot bigger than the tiny upgrade plus two keymoves.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Avoiding New Device Definition for Trivially Different C Reply with quote

Kruskal wrote:
I could use RM to define a 0027 with only two functions and import that into IR and assign it to a unused device so that I could key move it over to TV. But that seems awfully heavy handed for such a simple customization. The two protocols differ only in device number.

You don't need to assign the new upgrade to a physical device button.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I didn't read your post as carefully as Rob did, I missed the wrong assumption you seem to be making.

If you use the 994 command on the remote to program the keymove, you need to temporarily assign the source setup code to a device key (you can program that device key back to its normal setup code right after programming the keymove, without disturbing the keymove). And with 994, programming a keymove by EFC number may not be as obvious to a beginner as a key to key type of keymove (leaving the two button assignments out of the tiny upgrade means you can do 994 only by EFC number, not key to key).

Keymoves are simpler in IR.exe. There is no key to key method (on the 8811) just EFC number or hex command, and the UI to use EFC number is beginner friendly. So there is no benefit to including button assignments in the tiny upgrade. Also there is no reason to assign the tine upgrade to a device key, even temporarily.
Kruskal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL CLEAR TO ME KNOW.

The newly programmed remote now works fine.

Thanks again to you all -- Vincent
Kruskal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfhub wrote:
See if you can find a builtin device with the same protocol and device #.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2039
Didn't know about that great Excel file. What does it mean when a line is highlighted in yellow?

Thanks -- Vincent
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kruskal wrote:
Didn't know about that great Excel file. What does it mean when a line is highlighted in yellow?

It means that there are multiple versions of the same setup code that have different characteristics (like, different fixed data, etc).
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: