JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Controlling Multiple Tivos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katiebear00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Controlling Multiple Tivos Reply with quote

I have two Directv Tivos (DSR7000 and HR10-250) that I'd like to control from my 15-2116. Both tivos have the exact same original remote. The original remotes and the tivos can programmed (through a series of key presses) with unique address that allows them to function independently, and I'd like to transfer that same functionality to my 15-2116. My original plan was to set up the original remotes, and then start learning each function into the 2116. Is there an easier way?
whompus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use Hal's Dynamic Unit Selection protocol for them.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you program the remotes as you described, you cause them to send a different unit code. When the unit code is 0, the remote will control all Tivos and when the unit code is a non-0 value, the remote will only control Tivos that have been programmed to look for the same unit code.

The standard built in Tivo codes (ie, VCR/0618 and SAT/1142) both use unit code 0. If you would like to create seperate new upgrades that use unit codes 1 and 2 (or whatever unit codes you used) then all you need to do is grab one of the many Tivo upgrades from the file section and change the unit code.

If you're short on upgrade memory or would like to combine the two Tivos onto a single device button on the 15-2116, you might want to try the Dynamic Unit Selector linked to above.
katiebear00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's Rob. Looks like somebody beat me to it. The files section contains upgrade spreadsheets for tivos using address 1 and address 2. Worked great!
bonnie_Raitt

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across this thread in my search for how to control my two Tivos. I am currently using my URC 6131 w/ extender to control my Tivos. Unfortunately, I have to cover one of them or my remote sends signals to both.

I've figured out to set the remote address on the TIVOs, but I can't figure out how to load code on my 6131 to independently control them.

I saw the previous reference to the 2 Tivos upgrades with addresses of 1 and 2, but am reluctant to mess with my current setup until I'm sure it will be OK to load.

It was mentioned that I could also change the unit code in any Tivo upgrade. I couldn't figure out how to do that. Can you point me to a reference?

I don't see a VCR/0608 listed in my devices though I am using it. I got my 6131 from Rob a while back and it seems I remember you said you preloaded it or something.

In any case, am I OK loading the RCA and Hughes Directv Tivo DVR40 Unit Remote Code (1).txt and RCA and Hughes Directv Tivo DVR40 Unit Remote Code (2).txt onto my 6131 or is there a better way?

BTW, one of my Tivos in an old Phillips series 1 and the other a serires 2 if that matters.

Please point me to the necessary docs if this question is documented somewhere. Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming your Tivos are not Sony models, download the Tivo Master upgrade, then change the unit code to the value of your choice. When the unit code is 0, the upgrade will work all Tivos. When the unit code is a number between 1 and 15, it will control Tivos that are programmed to respond to that unit code (and Tivos programmed to respond to unit code 0).
bonnie_Raitt

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand you, I need to save 2 upgrades, each with a different unit code. Do I need to change the setup code too. If not, how does one differentiate between the two?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, each upgrade in your remote needs to have a seperate and unique setup code. Why don't you call them VCR/2001 and VCR/2002, for example.
bonnie_Raitt

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Tried it and it worked great. Thanks for your help
tiny-e

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Assuming your Tivos are not Sony models, download the Tivo Master upgrade, then change the unit code to the value of your choice. When the unit code is 0, the upgrade will work all Tivos. When the unit code is a number between 1 and 15, it will control Tivos that are programmed to respond to that unit code (and Tivos programmed to respond to unit code 0).

Idea This worked for me on a Philips DSR7000 DirecTiVo -- but note you have to remember to map the "TiVo Menu (Philips)" function to your "PVR_Menu" menu key as the upgrade seems to default to Hughes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: