JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Intermittent Problem USB Cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruskal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Intermittent Problem USB Cable Reply with quote

Sometimes, when I try to upload/download from/to my 8811 using IR, I get the message:

SDA is being held low. Make sure batteries are installed in
remote.

Various combination of restarting IR and replugging the cable make the problem go away. I can't detect a pattern.

Anyone know what is happening? It wouldn't be so bad if I knew the sequence to fix it.

Thanks for any hints -- Vincent
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read this? It may not apply to USB cables, but is easy enough to try.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Kruskal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
Have you read this? It may not apply to USB cables, but is easy enough to try.
OK, I'll try that next time. But removing one battery altogether might make it work??? Now THAT is bizarre!

Thanks -- Vincent
whompus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pattern can be that the remote is not plugged in before launching ir. In most cases the usb driver needs to be initialized before launch of the program. The same as with most other usb devices that gets power from the usb port.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whompus wrote:
the remote is not plugged in... the usb driver needs to be initialized
The remote doesn't need to be connected to the interface for Windows to recognize it. Windows only looks for and sees the USB chip and doesn't care what's on the other side. On both PC's where I use my USB cable, Windows plays the "device detected" sound whenever I connect it.

Another thing to check is whether or not Windows has power-saving enabled on the USB ports. Sometimes if the port goes to "sleep" with the interface attached, Windows might not properly "wake" it. I had that problem on my old PC when I first built the USB cable from the original prototype design Joe Cutler did.
whompus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark... I am sure you know more about this then I do in a big way.

Wouldn't that error be from the eeprom in the remote on initialization to the flashrom in the cable? Meaning the flashrom in the cable does not see the eeprom in the remote as buss free state. When the flashrom in the cable sees the eeprom in the remote wouldn't it need to be kind of in a reset state? In other words scl and sda held high. Or am I thinking of non powered devices?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whompus wrote:
Wouldn't that error be from the eeprom in the remote on initialization to the flashrom in the cable?
I don't think so, but also admit I'm just guessing here. As far as I know (from discussions I had with Tommy Tyler) the USB chip handles ALL communication with the PC. The PC (i.e. driver) doesn't know what's on the other side. I think the chip itself is causing the error, but don't know why. That being the case, IR is talking to the driver and never "sees" the EEPROM itself either.

Again, I'm guessing, but I did have the power problems on an old PC and had the same intermittent results from the interface.
mkmcgregor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Batteries, fresh ones can kill the interface. Reply with quote

Have you checked or recently replaced the batteries. Just a thought, because my remote is doing weird things only with FRESH batteries; just put up a new post about it. The older batteries that I've been working with for a week work fine.

So, if you just changed the batteries out, it's possible that the same parallel interface failure I'm seeing is occurring with your USB interface intermitantly, since the problem is apparently in the remote side of things for me.

Just a thought. I doubt it's your problem, but it's something to check.
Kruskal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whompus wrote:
The pattern can be that the remote is not plugged in before launching ir. In most cases the usb driver needs to be initialized before launch of the program. The same as with most other usb devices that gets power from the usb port.
I've discovered that it is really important to have the remote connected to the cable BEFORE the cable is plugged into the PC.

When updating a number of remotes, it sometimes works when one remote is unplugged and the other attached and sometimes not. When it fails, unplugging and replugging the cable from the USB port needs to be happen. It may depend on how long the it took to switch remotes.

I also had an 8811 with a broken port so that it ALWAYS caused the SLA message. That interfered with my experiments somewhat.

Thank for all the help -- Vincent
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
whompus wrote:
Wouldn't that error be from the eeprom in the remote on initialization to the flashrom in the cable?
I don't think so, but also admit I'm just guessing here. As far as I know (from discussions I had with Tommy Tyler) the USB chip handles ALL communication with the PC. The PC (i.e. driver) doesn't know what's on the other side. I think the chip itself is causing the error, but don't know why. That being the case, IR is talking to the driver and never "sees" the EEPROM itself either.

kruskal wrote:
whompus wrote:
I've discovered that it is really important to have the remote connected to the cable BEFORE the cable is plugged into the PC.

It might go beyond the driver conversation.
Since this thread includes guesses, let me add some more. Based on XP, my experience so far has been that devices which are registered with the USB authority (??), and/or Bill Gates, get recognized nicely as you plug them in. Unregistered ones cause problems, which, usually, are resolved by connecting the device before the application starts. The worst case is when a not very bright Rolling Eyes manufacturer who builds different USB devices (flash, harddrive, printer, lab instrument) registers them all under one number, totally confusing Windows Evil or Very Mad
Disclaimer - I do not have jp1 USB cable. As I said, I'm just adding a guess. But considering that jp1 USB cables are most likely unofficial, my guess would be to plug it in before running IR. I do know I have to do that with an e-bay issue of a USB cable for my phone. And even then the application needs my confirmation as to whether it really is connected to such and such USB port. And for sure it doesn't like you to switch between several USB ports.
rickety

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have the same SDA low problem. I just received a USB interface from DIYGadget and have not been able to use it yet.
Kruskal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickety wrote:
I too have the same SDA low problem. I just received a USB interface from DIYGadget and have not been able to use it yet.
Did you use this order:

1- Plug into remote
2- Plug into PC
3- Launch IR

Vincent
rickety

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: SDA Low with USB-JP1 --- Solved (for me anyway) Reply with quote

Thanks Kruskal for the suggestions, but yes. However I have now resolved it. The connector needs to be put on the header the opposite way around than shown in DIYGadgets documentation.

I have also posted this info in another thread here, and on their feedback forum.

(I had two remotes that both behaved the same, so I was fairly sure it wasn't something unique to a particular remote)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: