JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RM - External functions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: RM - External functions Reply with quote

I have entered external functions on the external functions tab. How do I assign these to buttons? They do not appear on the buttons tab for assigment.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried this (having never done so before) and the defined external functions do indeed appear on the buttons and layout pages for assignment to buttons immediately after defining them, in RM version 1.48.

Other than suggesting you upload your guilty RM file (maybe a "before" adding external functions, and "after" doing so), or describe exactly what sequence of steps you are following, I'm not sure what to recommend as a possible fix.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the file with the external functions. The ExF page is the only difference. Nothing else appears to have changed.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2891
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it! Read the columns wrong.
Thanks for the look.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess you found it.

I just now looked and saw that you had no EFC's assigned on the External Functions page, and your setup codes all varied (which is of course possible, but illogical in your particular case), so I suppose you had not entered the setup code, but put the EFC's in the setup code column, right?

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right!
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got most of the externals working after I figured out that the "from" code had to be assigned in the remote. This is OK everywhere except where I need the PIP Swap code from TV0000, which I now don't use and is taking up a device button.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e.axel wrote:
Finally got most of the externals working after I figured out that the "from" code had to be assigned in the remote.

What do you mean "assigned". If you mean the source setup code for an external function must be assigned to a device button in the remote, you are mistaken.

e.axel wrote:
This is OK everywhere except where I need the PIP Swap code from TV0000, which I now don't use and is taking up a device button.

What don't you use and why is it taking up a device button?
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2905

This is the current IR. Externals don't execute if the source is not present and assigned to a device button. The only problem one is PIP Swap in the 0000 device code. I am now using 1000 (an upgrade NEC1 protocol) instead of 0000 (Original Sony protocol) Please see the discussion in the Code Search - Westinghouse L32W1 thread
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e.axel wrote:
Externals don't execute if the source is not present and assigned to a device button.

We experts are occasionally wrong, but it's a good idea to start with the assumption that we're not. So when I said the source doesn't need to be assigned to a device button, you don't move things forward by restating your believe that it does. (I didn't take any offense here and I hope I'm not giving any. I mean only advice about how to get results).

You should give a clear statement of what tests you did to arrive at that belief, and you probably should redo those tests more carefully.

Of course the source must be PRESENT. But that is quite distinct from being assigned to a device button. And I'm pretty sure TV/0000 is built-in (always present).

e.axel wrote:
Please see the discussion in the Code Search - Westinghouse L32W1 thread

Maybe you need to be more specific. I see the long discussion of the somewhat related topic, but I didn't spot anything directly on point (to whether external function source setup codes need to be assigned device keys).
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...specific...

The reference to the other thread was to provide background and explain what "wasn't being used" i.e. the 0000 code.

I tried to use the PIP Swap key in code 1000 without/before assigning 0000. It didn't work. When I assigned 0000 to the CD button, it worked in 1000 immediately.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e.axel wrote:
I tried to use the PIP Swap key in code 1000 without/before assigning 0000. It didn't work. When I assigned 0000 to the CD button, it worked in 1000 immediately.
Actually, I think I have another explanation for your problem...

When I open this Westinghouse file I see what I think is a problem. In the upgrade on the External Functions tab you have one defined and it's named "PIP Swap". On the Buttons tab, you have the function "pip swap" assigned to the SWAP button. The "pip swap" function is defined on the Functions tab (as part of the default upgrade).

The bottom line is that the External "PIP Swap" is NOT assigned to any button, therefore no key move was created for it. You said in that other thread that the NEC version of swap didn't work but the Sony did.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e.axel wrote:

You probably learned in school that when the experimental results don't fit the theory, you should build a better theory. But in the real world, that is a distant last resort. When the experimental results don't fit the theory, most scientists build a better experiment.

In other words, I'm not convinced yet.
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark- I did find that after posting that file. Still didn't work until I assigned 0000. Thanks

JSF - I'll play some more. Right now it is working, so it is low priority.
Thanks for your help.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The saga continues...

e.axel wrote:
Still didn't work until I assigned 0000.
Either you're confused or we are! Surprised

By "assigned" are you referring to the fact that on IR's Key Moves tab you can't select TV/0000 from the Device list until you assign it to a device button on the General tab (in the file you linked to above I see TV/0000 assigned to the CD button)? If so, you're right... but only partially.

Only those setup codes assigned to device buttons (General tab) show in that list. However, immediately below the list are Device Type and Setup Code text boxes. You aren't limited to only those in the list. You can enter ANY valid Device Type and Setup Code (TV/0000 in this case). "Valid" only means (as John pointed out above) that the setup code MUST be built-in to the remote OR be available as an upgrade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: