JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Record button on the RS 15-2104

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revelator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: The Record button on the RS 15-2104 Reply with quote

I keymoved it to do something else, but it still has to be pressed twice. Is there any way to get it (the Record button) to send a signal on one press?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I thought a key move (or learned signal) overrode that "feature"... maybe not. If it's defined as part of a device upgrade, I pretty certain the need for a double press is eliminated.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
Hmmm... I thought a key move (or learned signal) overrode that "feature"... maybe not. If it's defined as part of a device upgrade, I pretty certain the need for a double press is eliminated.

Mark, I believe you are still correct. I have put keymoves on the record button of the 2104 and eliminated the double press. I suspect maybe there is something worng with the keymove. I also, have a LongKP on one and it does the same thing.

As I think about it however, that may only be with an extender installed since I have never used a 2104 without one.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils_Ekberg wrote:
that may only be with an extender installed since I have never used a 2104 without one.

Yes, the extender does eliminate that "feature". It's been a long time since mine was unextended as well. Wink
Revelator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the 2104 extender.

Here's the weird situation:

I set Record in the DVD device to DVD "Display".

That works fine, and I inly have to press once.

I set Record in the Cable device to Cable "Info".

I upload to the remote and press Power to activate the extender. Then, if I press Cable and then the Record button, nothing happens until I press it again (default behaviour)... and when I do press the second time, nothing happens (apparently).

Then, if I switch to the DVD device, everything works fine, including Record working as "Display".

Now.... when I switch back to Cable, the Record button now works on one press, and sends the DVD "Display" signal.

What's up with that?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revelator wrote:
I upload to the remote and press Power to activate the extender. Then, if I press Cable and then the Record button, nothing happens until I press it again (default behaviour)...

Have you tried it the other way around (i.e. pressing DVD, Record after initializing), and if so, what were the results?

Also, are you using the LDKP protocol by any chance and maybe have something mis-configured?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revelator wrote:

I upload to the remote and press Power to activate the extender. Then, if I press Cable and then the Record button, nothing happens

I think your macro on the Cable key doesn't set the device mode for the transport keyset to anything (mine doesn't).

The 2104 is missing some of the built in support features for dynamic HT mode that the 8810 has. One consequence is that there is no default for device modes for key sets. After uploading and activating I always press a few different device keys so that every key set is set at least once. Using an undefined key set is at best undefined, it might even corrupt registers and make the whole extender malfunction.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revelator wrote:

I set Record in the Cable device to Cable "Info".

I think that's a poor choice. The power of the extender's "dynamic HT" is that you can make your macros select the device mode for transport keys only when the user selects a transport device. Then when you switch to TV or Cable mode the remote remembers which transport device you selected last (I have four VCR's) and the basic transport functions are still live.

I suggest putting Cable Info on some other key.

If you really want Cable Info on Record then you can't make good use of the dynamic HT for transport keys (maybe you don't even have a VCR, in which case that aspect of dynamic HT has no value for you). In that case your error was leaving out the T_CBL command from the Cable key's macro.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
Yes, the extender does eliminate that "feature". It's been a long time since mine was unextended as well. Wink

IIRC, when I wrote the extender, I tried to avoid changing that particular feature. As best I understood it the record key had that behavior when defined by the setup code and not when defined by keymove and neither the extender nor the fact that the setup code was via upgrade should make a difference (I think the device type of the upgrade does make a difference).

But, I wrote the extender before I ever even saw a 15-2104. I finally bought six 15-2104's but I NEVER used them unextended, so I never tested any of my understanding of how an unextended 15-2104 behaves.
Revelator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all.

I added T_CBL to the Cable macro and now it works.

I kind of have no idea what "dynamic HT" and "transport" stuff is in the extender. I originally wanted to use the extender to be able to use the Sleep key properly, and to move the Shift key to one that can be used by human hands.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Transport" = the set of six basic VCR keys (play, stop, fwd, rew, pause, record).

"HT" = Home Theater = a mode in which different sets of keys are associated with different devices, such as having your transport keys go to VCR functions and your channel keys go to cable functions and volume keys go to Amp functions and all the rest (pip, menu etc.) go to TV functions. It saves a lot of presses on device keys in normal use when you use several devices together but only the basic functions of each device.

"dynamic HT" = an HT mode in which the combination of devices is chosen dynamically, rather than completely predefined.

Example:

In the family room I have, TV, cable tuner, two VCRs, and absurdly flexible interconnect.

On occasion I watch a program while it's being broadcast. But I never watch commercials, so I would have a tape in a VCR that I can watch during commercials. So the transport controls must control the VCR while the PIP functions control the TV. But I like to be able flip channels as well, so the channel controls must be live. But2 sometimes the cable tuner is busy letting a different VCR tape something and/or sending a signal to the bedroom TV, so sometimes the channel keys should control the cable tuner but sometimes the TV. But3 there are those two different VCRs in that room and sometimes the tape I want to play is on one, sometimes the other.

So that is really 4 different HT modes, combining the choice of two different transport sets with the choice of two different channel sets with the vol and PIP keys of the TV. I could create 4 different HT modes, but that wouldn't be intuitive and ALL this is actually less than half of what's programmed in my 15-2104.

With dynamic HT, it all just works without defining the multiple HT modes. I press one of the two VCR keys, then I press either TV or Cable and it's all set up.

I hope that example makes sense (It's simpler than the other ways I use dynamic HT).

If you have two transport devices (such as a DVD and a VCR), I think you can make good use of dynamic HT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: