JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Partial upgrading?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fixup

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Partial upgrading? Reply with quote

My 8811 comes with a device code that works partially with my new Vizio 50" plasma TV. Of course some functions are missing. Now I have learned the missing ones, is there a way to just add these?

I know I can learn all the buttons and make a full/new upgrade, but it is much nicer and more efficient to just add only the missed ones to what is already in.

Or is there a way to get the build-in key codes, so I can use them in a upgrade file?
whompus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make an upgrade consisting of the missing functions. Then use keymoves to add them to your device.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you state which setup code you are using, one of us could create an upgrade file that replicates that setup code, which you could then modify to include the additional functions that you learned.

But of course, in the time that it takes us to do all of that, you could have learned all the buttons and create a fresh upgrade anyway.
Fixup

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

"Make an upgrade consisting of the missing functions. Then use keymoves to add them to your device."

I tried that, but it did not work with learned codes (maybe I have not done it right yet). It works with advanced codes. And, I don't want to use keymover, because it fills up the memory quickly. I tend to put them into the upgrade memory area.

So, the key point remains: is there a way to get the build-in function codes?

Otherwise I'll have to learn each and every code to make a full upgrade file. I tend not to do this because I don't trust much about learned codes unless I have to. Or, use keymover to add learned codes, assuming it works like whompus suggested.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixup wrote:
Otherwise I'll have to learn each and every code to make a full upgrade file. I tend not to do this because I don't trust much about learned codes unless I have to.

Take a look in the file section and see how many upgrade files we have available. The vast majority of them were created by users learning the buttons from their original remotes and using the captured info to create the upgrade. So if you're afraid that the process doesn't work, rest assured that it does.

Fixup wrote:
Or, use keymover to add learned codes, assuming it works like whompus suggested.

You are mis-understanding what he was suggesting. The suggestion was to get the EFC info from the learned signals, then re-program them using EFCs (aka "advanced codes"). The original learned signals would no longer exist in this scenario.

But regardless, the absolute BEST option for you here is to create a new upgrade, and again, if you mention which setup code you are using, we can give better advice on how to do that.
Fixup

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I replied too soon. I think I just got what whompus said: make a new device that just contains the missing functions. Then keymover them. Good enough, just it consumes keymover memory.

What I did wrong was: I only imported the functions to keymover but did not add this new device.
Fixup

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried it, works like a charm!
Fixup

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Now for getting the build-in codes Reply with quote

One way I figured to get the build-in key codes: keymover keys on the remote, then download to IR, all the codes of moved keys are listed there.

Is there a better way?

Then I can make a new upgrade file, put in these codes, the EFC codes found on Internet and those learned. The nice thing is such a upgrade will use only the upgrade memory area, saving the memory for macros and necessary keymover.

I'll try this later when I have more time. Whompus' trick is good enough for now.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using keymoves is as good a way as any to figure out the EFCs of built in setup codes.
Sometimes the EFCs for a given setup code are well known and documented at Advanced Codes List.
Sometimes there's already a device upgrade for your device (there are two for Vizio televisions here.)

The whole point of using device upgrades (instead of learned signals or keymoves) is to save memory.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Now for getting the build-in codes Reply with quote

Fixup wrote:
One way I figured to get the build-in key codes: keymover keys on the remote, then download to IR, all the codes of moved keys are listed there.

Is there a better way?

Is tere a better way? Of course, learn the buttons. The learning process is ALOT quicker than doing all that keymoving. But like I've said twice already (so this is the last time), if you tell us which setup code you are talking about, maybe one of us will create a KM file for you that replicates it.
whompus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not saying what the setup code is because you used the searching for code function of the remote to find it. Take these steps to find out what the code is.
1. On the remote control, press TV once.
2. Press and hold SET until the LED (red light) blinks twice, then
release SET.
3. Enter 9 - 9 - 0.The LED will blink twice.
4. To view the code for the first digit, press 1 once.Wait 3 seconds,
count the LED blinks (e.g., three blinks = 3) and write down
the number.
NOTE: If a code digit is “0”, the LED will not blink.
5. Repeat step 4 three more times for remaining digits.Use 2 for the
second digit, 3 for the third digit, and 4 for the fourth digit.
Fixup

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I'm not trying just to make this specific TV remote to work fully, I'm trying to figure out a general good method for adding few missing keys. Beside my TV, my satellite and audio receiver are also found in 8811, but some keys are missing.

I know there are already many upgrade files available, but I have to wonder about what if none in the future. In the case of just few missing keys, then all I need is to get the built-in keys to make a upgrade file based on them. Some keys cannot be learned.
whompus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the info you are asking for is here in this thread.

None of the info this thread has asked for that may help others in the future with the same device is.

So for whatever reason you want to hold back the info they asked for. I can only say good luck.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When there is no upgrade file available, you learn from the original remote, decode the learned signals using IR/DecodeIR.dll and create your own upgrade using RM/KM.

This process is explained in JP1 - Just How Easy Is It?.

If you don't have the original remote, or you don't have a learning remote, then you search more carefully here and at RemoteCentral's CCF database.
If you still have no luck, you ask for help.

But learning is where you start.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Fixup

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not try to hide anything, I was thinking about a general and good method for adding few missing keys. This has nothing to do with a specific TV or DVD. I used my TV as an example. Anyway, it is a Vizio 50" plasma, build-in code 0178. I don't need any help on this specific TV remote, it had been already fully working before I asked here. I just wanted to know what's the easiest and most efficient general way to do such a thing right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: