JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Picking a new remote?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP1newbie wrote:
Do they still make that remote with JP1 or is it only the new version(1.2?) Know where I can find 1?

My guess is that any new Atlas remotes that come off the production line will be the new JP1.2, but there are still older units out there of course. However, like the other models in UEI's cable remote line, the Atlas is not available for purchase in stores, it's only designed to be used by OEMs with their own products, so your best bet to find one is on ebay, but there's no way to know if you'll be getting a JP1 or JP1.2 model until you get it and can try it out.

Here's an ebay search that will show you several that are available right now:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?satitle=atlas+pvr+remote
JP1newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can it be confirmed that the remotes that have the "Day" button on the left are the newer JP1.2 and the remotes that have the "Settings" button on the left are JP1?
Is there any way to tell for sure? For instance, Serial#,year,Cable Co. name,etc.
Will they all have the 6 pin connector?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that you can use button labels as a definitive marker of JP1 vs. JP1.2, and yes they will both have the 6-pin connector.

I think at this point in time, more Atlas remotes are likely to be JP1 than not, so it's probably worth just taking a chance. You could try asking the seller if it says JP1 or JP1.2 by the 6-pin.
JP1newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You could try asking the seller if it says JP1 or JP1.2 by the 6-pin.

I guess that would be quite definitive. Smile
Thanks for your help.
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO: Many will disagree, but...

9960 has a lot of problems - battery life, hard to keep from turning on when you really don't want it to (and shortening the battery life further), doesn't always turn off (shortening the battery life further), weak IR transmitter (which MAY be a problem on some devices), 2 step TV screen (on Sony anyway) which is a pain in the ass, needs pins or an adapter to use JP1

Advantages - good internal code set, lots of keys, upgradable by modem from UEIC

I like the 8811 today...
It's simple, It's just a remote no frills...
whompus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally don't offer remotes here. I let Rob take care of that. As he don't have any Atlas 5 Pvr remotes. I do have a few that are branded Cox and are jp1 with settings button. I will sell you one or if you rather will trade for the 6131. Either way if you want let me know and I will pm you with info.
maxse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The trick is to find some sort of logical button placement that's easy for everyone to remember.

For the A,B,C buttons, you could use the 3 PIP buttons at the buttom of the remote. These buttons are kinda seperate and distinct from all the other buttons and they're side by side, so...

A = PIP
B = SWAP
C = MOVE

I assume the LIST button brings up a program guide of recorded shows, therefore I would recommend the blue PVR MENU button. You could then use the two buttons next to it (ie, the THUMBS buttons) for the LIVE and FAV functions.

The URC-9960 Kameleon remote has LIVE and FAV buttons buttons.

Rob I have the same type of explorer remote but I have an RS 2117. I am also having trouble finding a logical spot for the A,B,C and "Live" buttons. Can you make a suggestion on where I could place these on the 2117? Any experience with this? I would really hate to upgrade the remote since I love it so much. If I could figure this out I will be golden.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15-2116 has alot less buttons than some other remotes, so it's harder to come up with creative button assignments with this remote. There aren't 3 spare buttons all side by side like there are on the URC-6131. The best set of '3 in a row' buttons are the GUIDE, SCAN and EXIT buttons at the top of the remote, but I'm guessing that you need the GUIDE and EXIT buttons for their regular functions. The only spare buttons that I can see are the 4 PIP buttons (ie, PIP, SWAP, MOVE and FREEZE), therefore I would suggest that you use those.
maxse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea thats what Im using now. so far so good. Now I need to find some discrete codes! thanks.
DVDIT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, this is my first post. Before I jump and buy the remote I decided to seek some help here. I have an Infocus 4805 front PJ, Sony CRT TV, Oppo digital, Bravo D1, Zenith DVB318 DVD players, HK-AVR 330, Motorola HDTV cable box supplied by Comcast with my cable subscription and want a universal to control them all. I have narrowed my choices to URC 8910 if RF base is sold separately, if not then URC9910 and RS 6-in-1 Kameleon Touch-Screen Universal Remote. I have read the RS 15-2133 has a battery life issue which can be easily solved by disabling the sensor. I have also read that both models can be upgraded by phone but have a very limited memory. I plan to learn and use JP1. Which is the better remote in terms of reliability, durability and functionality?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVDIT wrote:
I have narrowed my choices to URC 8910 if RF base is sold separately, if not then URC9910 ...

The URC-8910 remote doesn't have an RF puck onboard, so unless you install one yourself it won't work with the RF base. Therefore, if you want RF you should go with the URC-9910.

DVDIT wrote:
I have also read that both models can be upgraded by phone but have a very limited memory.

Any references to "limited memory" would have been referring to the "learning" memory, NOT the "upgrade" memory. If you're going to be using JP1, then the only reason you need the learning memory is to decode signals before creating an upgrade. These remotes have plenty of upgrade memory.

Every JP1 remote will be able to work all of your devices, so just pick one that you like the look of. If you do decide to go with a Kameleon, you'd probably be better off getting the OFA URC-9960 than any of the RS models.
DVDIT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob, you saved me from buying the 8910 which I thought was RF capable. OFA URC-9960 is way out of the range I am willing to spend. Do you have the 9910 is stock? If you do, do you have any with green backlighting? How much for 9910 with JP1 cable plus shipping to 20906?
DVDIT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This probably sound like a typical newbie question but how do you program and assign keys like zoom, audio, subtilte, angle, title, goto, display A-B repeat, OSD, TV MODE/DVI MODE and the like?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVDIT wrote:
OFA URC-9960 is way out of the range I am willing to spend. Do you have the 9910 in stock?

I have the URC-9910 on order and am taking advance orders for it, the price is $40. I have the URC-9960 in stock now, the price is $39.

DVDIT wrote:
If you do, do you have any with green backlighting? How much for 9910 with JP1 cable plus shipping to 20906?

The URC-9910 never had green backlighting. Domestic shipping is $4 if I re-package the remote, or $8 in it's original packaging.

DVDIT wrote:
This probably sound like a typical newbie question but how do you program and assign keys like zoom, audio, subtitle, angle, title, goto, display A-B repeat, OSD, TV MODE/DVI MODE and the like?

You pick buttons that you think you can remember.

Just FYI, the "DISPLAY" button has been re-named as "INFO" on newer remotes like the URC-9910. "OSD" stands for "On Screen Display", so this is the same button.

For TV MODE/DVI MODE you could use the TV/VCR button.
DVDIT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wired. Every picture of 9910 I have seen has green backlighting on. I am ok with amber but from pics I have seen the red looks downright ugly. BTW, did you forget the price for JP1 cable or the $40.00 includes the cable. What is the ETA on the backorder?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: