JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Intermittent communiucation with IR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Hall of Shame (and other funny stuff)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and you paid .... uhhhh .... HOW MUCH for this software? Wink

and how much did the software writer get paid for writing the software? Wink

... and what is the per minute/per answer charge you are assessed for the tech support here? Wink

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to snide I see. I hate to see this starting up again.
That was NOT the issue! This post was started to see if anyone else had a similar issue. I don't think that I am the only Windows Xp user on this forum.
I do not have a parallel port printer. The only driver associated with that port is the Microsoft printer driver embedded in Windows. I just don't know how to get around it. I have checked all the port associations and can't fing anything else
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you have a bad cable then. There's any number of possible reasons why a simple interface won't work... some of it JP1 related and a lot of it PC related.

FYI, I have absolutely no problem with a simple or USB interface on Win XP SP2, and there a numerous others here using JP1 with XP.

Since none of us can see your system or its configuration, the best we can do is guess and hope you find/fix the problem through trial and error and our suggestions. If, however, you feel our suggestions aren't worth pursuing, there's really nothing we can do about that.
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having a difficult time pursuing Capn Trip's suggestion.
I did check all the different battery configurations, checked for any spurious printer drivers. If there is something in the good Capn's post that I missed, help me with it please.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humor me for a moment...

Are you using a desktop or laptop?

Are you using the JP1 simple interface?

Did you buy or build your interface?

Try these steps:
  • Reboot your computer.
  • Try a download from a remote.
  • Did it work?
  • If not, you're cable is possibly bad.
  • If so, print something to your printer.
  • Try a download from a remote.
  • Did it work?
  • If not, you probably have a software (non-JP1) or settings conflict of some sort.
  • If so, I'm confused.

e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desktop
JP1 simple, bought on ebay

I have done that. It usually works after a reboot. My printer(s) are all USB connected. I moved them when I got the JP1. I did delete all drivers and reinstalled as USB.

Thank you for the attempt to provide constructive sugestions without all the extraneous crap! It helps my disposition immensly...
mattg865

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with my 8810w. Sometimes it communicates, sometimes it doesn't. I've tried the battery solutions I've read about, but none of them work. I've seen that when IR.exe says it can't talk to the remote, I then unplug the JP1 cable and the LED on the remote blinks twice. I have discoverd a way that somehow forces the remote to talk to IR.exe. What I do, is that before hooking the remote to the JP1 cable, I hold a button down on the remote that causes the LED to remain lit. Then I connect the JP1 cable to the remote while holding down a button with the LED lit. If the LED goes out, it won't talk. BUT, if the LED remains lit after connecting the JP1 cable, I then release the button that I held that kept the LED lit and it DOES talk to IR.exe. It has worked every time I've tried it. Hope this can help you!
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee whiz! A real suggestion. Thank you. I will try that.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e.axel wrote:
Thank you for the attempt to provide constructive sugestions without all the extraneous crap! It helps my disposition immensly...

Elliot, once again I feel the need to jump in and try and shed some light on the proceedings. If you read back over the posts in this thread, I think you will find that any remarks that others have made that you consider "snide" were made in response to "snide" remarks of your own. If you wish for others to not treat you this way, maybe you need to check the way you're treating them first.

For example...

The Robman wrote:
e.axel wrote:
I only seem to be able to get to the remote by restarting the computer.

That tells us that the problem is not with the remote, or it's batteries, but with the computer itself (and the software/drivers running on it).

e.axel wrote:
You guys designed the software!!!!

Capn Trips wrote:
...and you paid .... uhhhh .... HOW MUCH for this software? Wink

And now for your latest gem...

e.axel wrote:
Gee whiz! A real suggestion. Thank you. I will try that.

If that was the first "real suggestion" then what do you call all the advice that you received prior to that, including my suggestions about the printer drivers and the batteries?

I try to be as fair as I can possibly be here in these forums and I'm starting to get pissed off, so maybe the problem isn't the forum regulars but is instead the forum newcomer.

Please take this as constructive critism and let it guide your future posting style.
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say or imply "first" real suggestion. I acknowledged all of the previous real suggestions with thanks and my results. If you and Capn Trips don't want me around, I'll go away and work my own problems....

Last edited by e.axel on Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Capn Trips wrote:
...and you paid .... uhhhh .... HOW MUCH for this software?

And now for your latest gem...

e.axel wrote:
Gee whiz! A real suggestion. Thank you. I will try that. "

What about all the good stuff in between those two quotes? It certainly makes it sound quite different!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SNIDE?!?! SNIDE?!?!?! What are the cute little "wink" icons supposed to imply if not "I am JOKING!!!!"?

Look pal, if you can't take a joke, then I don't know what to tell you. For cryin' out loud, LIGHTEN UP!

I have made suggestions in good faith, others even more so. If your fragile ego can't handle an occassional rib, then I sincerely apologize, but I don't read this forum just to abuse people. I try to learn a little and share what little I know. If I can't have some fun while doing so, then this world has gotten to a really bad place.

Trust me that you will receive no further comments, snide or constructive, from me.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was exactly what I was going to suggest. Thank you!
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattg865 wrote:
I have the same problem with my 8810w. Sometimes it communicates, sometimes it doesn't. I've tried the battery solutions I've read about, but none of them work. I've seen that when IR.exe says it can't talk to the remote, I then unplug the JP1 cable and the LED on the remote blinks twice. I have discoverd a way that somehow forces the remote to talk to IR.exe. What I do, is that before hooking the remote to the JP1 cable, I hold a button down on the remote that causes the LED to remain lit. Then I connect the JP1 cable to the remote while holding down a button with the LED lit. If the LED goes out, it won't talk. BUT, if the LED remains lit after connecting the JP1 cable, I then release the button that I held that kept the LED lit and it DOES talk to IR.exe. It has worked every time I've tried it. Hope this can help you!

I checked this on my 8811 and 9800. Both behave the same way, in the case of the 9800, when the LCD is blank, it will not communicate, when it is displaying device/time, it will. The 8811, when the LED stays lit, it will communicate, when it doesn't, it won't.

I still can't predict when this will/won't happen.

Is it possible that a socket on the JP1 end is stretched and making intermittent contact? Can I disassemble it?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e.axel wrote:
Is it possible that a socket on the JP1 end is stretched and making intermittent contact? Can I disassemble it?
Yes, it's possible that the socket on the end of the cable has bad connections, but without knowing what it looks like there's no way to tell if you can disassemble it or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Hall of Shame (and other funny stuff) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: