JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pioneer SX 315 Digital input button?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhileFriendly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Pioneer SX 315 Digital input button? Reply with quote

Hi-
I'm trying to get all set up with my Pioneer receiver and JP1. The generic Pioneer list works fine for most things (e.g. Power, Volume, some inputs), but I can't find a map of any of the input buttons to the "Digital" input. I know there is some data at Pioneer's website: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/ci/codes/0,,2076_262645248,00.html but I'm not sure how to convert this knowledge into something useful Smile

1. Device: Pioneer SX 315
2. Type of device: Audio Receiver
3. Year: 2005
4. UEI Remote model: URC 6131
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? Yes
6. Still have original remote? Yes
7. Checked the file section? Yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? Yes
9. Partially working setup code? Yes
10. Learning remote question? No

Thanks!
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Direct URL's into specific places in Pioneer's website generally don't work for other people (I assume they use some cookies left on your computer).

Please quote some of the info from there that you need help with.

A Pioneer signal has a custom code and a function code for the first part of the signal and another of each for the second part.

Each of those codes is shown in most Pioneer documentation as a two digit hex number. If you quote those four two digit numbers for a function, we can tell you how to fit them into a specific type of Pioneer upgrade.

I'm not sure what the "generic Pioneer list" is, so I don't know which kind of Pioneer upgrade you're working from. A URL to the upgrade file would help a lot.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pioneer link works for me, you just need to enter an email address and click ENTER. However, I don't see a file for an SX-315 audio receiver. Here's a direct link to the VSX-9100 code list.
PhileFriendly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned above, there isn't any info for my specific receiver, but I was hoping that perhaps one of the other receivers on the site would be similar in having this input called "digital" (it's an optical audio in). At any rate, the info on the Pioneer site lists IR codes like:
Function: Power On
Command1: A5 1A

How do I map that hex code into something that makes sense in KM? It seems to me that I need more data than just one short 4 char hex string, but I'm definitely not an expert.

Failing that, does anybody happen to have a code that might work? I have already tried all of the "input: " codes in the generic list, and none seem to be doing the trick for this one particular input.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're willing to take the time to look through the IR files on that site for the various receivers, please do so. If you find the code in hex format for the digital input, please post it and one of us will convert it for you. If the function uses 2 command codes, please be sure to post both of them.

As for how you convert them, you just need to convert the hex to decimal (using Excel or the Windows Calculator, etc).

The first byte of each hex code is the device code. Looking at the VSX-9100 code list, you'll see that most of the hex codes start with "A5", this translates to device code 165. Some of them start with "A4" which translates to device code 164. The second byte is the OBC. So, taking the POWER code as an example, the hex is "A5 1C" which translates to device code 165, OBC 28. Looking further down the list you'll see that the TONE function uses 2 command codes where the hex is "A5 57" and "A5 C0", this means that both parts of the signal use device code 165, the 1st OBC is 87 and the 2nd OBC is 192.

Any upgrade to control a device like this would need to use the "Pioneer 3DEV" or "Pioneer 4DEV" protocols, which let you combine 3 or 4 device codes, along with also letting you generate the 2-part signals that functions like TONE require. The 3DEV version is the official version and the 4DEV version is the one that I wrote myself. The reason that we needed to write our own version is because the official 3DEV version doesn't handle all of the possible 2-part OBC combinations.
PhileFriendly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: I've learned the signal, but EFC/OBC don't match? Reply with quote

OK, I finally got a learning remote, and have successfully learned the digital input button on my pioneer receiver. However, when I enter the EFC into Remote Master, I see that the OBC is auto updated to a value different from what IR gives. And, vice versa.

Here is the data I see in IR, can somebody tell me what I need to put into RM in order to get this done correctly?

Protocol NEC2
Device 165
Sub-Device
OBC 94
Hex Cmd 85
EFC 230

My gut feel is to trust the OBC, since I also learned a known command (input: tuner), and verified that my learned OBC matches the expected, while the EFC are different, but I don't understand why this is working the way it is.

Thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm concerned that IR is telling you that the protocol is "NEC2", because it should be "Pioneer". Do you have the lastest version of DecodeIR downloaded?

At any rate, with the various Pioneer protocols, you should trust the OBCs over the EFCs. DecodeIR only sees one signal at a time and doesn't know which combo protocol that you might use to create your upgrade. Some Pioneer protocols are LSB while others are LSB-COMP, which result in different EFCs.

When DecodeIR says that OBC 94 = EFC 230 it's assuming that the protocol is LSB-COMP. If the combo protocol that you are using is LSB instead, the EFC would convert to 225. (Just FYI, I got these numbers using the "EFC Calculator" in IR.exe).

Just FYI, device 165, OBC 94 is listed as "RCVR multi ch input" in the master file.
PhileFriendly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using IR7 beta 3, with my JP 1.2 remote URC 8820. Will it hurt for me to add a second entry into my code file for this (as INPUT: Digital), just so that I can keep it straight?

thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhileFriendly wrote:
I'm using IR7 beta 3

Yeah, but what version (if any) of DecodeIR are you using? (Click Help > About to find out).

PhileFriendly wrote:
Will it hurt for me to add a second entry into my code file for this (as INPUT: Digital), just so that I can keep it straight?

Not at all.
PhileFriendly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see anything about DecodeIR in the Help/About for IR7. I basically just installed IR7, keymap, and the RDFs. Is this my problem?
PhileFriendly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Needed DecodeIR Reply with quote

OK, I just added DecodeIR to the working directory, and now I'm happy to report that the signals are being decoded as "Pioneer" as would be expected. HOWEVER, now there are 2 signals, whereas before only a single one showed up. Here is the new info:

Protocol Pioneer
Device 165
Sub-Device
OBC 94
Hex Cmd 85
EFC 230

Protocol Pioneer
Device 165
Sub-Device
OBC 193
Hex Cmd 7C
EFC 177

What, pray tell, is the meaning of this? Do I somehow need both commands in order to get my input toggled?

THanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed, this is a VERY common signal structure for Pioneer. Read the protocol help page in KM for more info on how to set this up.
PhileFriendly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Success! Reply with quote

By setting the OBC2 value in RM to the second OBC, I am able to get the digital input on this system finally! It would probably be worthwhile to include this in the master Pioneer file, do you want me to update/repost it, or will you?

thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take care of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: