JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FAQ: What is the best JP1 remote?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that remote certainly looks nice. From the image, it appears that the device buttons are the confirmation LEDs. This is really helpful for the non-techie user. The RCA RCRp05b also has the lighted device buttons too. I have an RCA RCRp05b, but I don't use it, because I like the Atlas better. The nice thing about the atlas, is that the buttons are different colors. The numeric buttons are gray, the volume and channel buttons are blue and the buttons are bigger, and easy to use even in low light situations. You might have a lot of work to do to get the 7557 working, since the RDF seems to be missing. No extender. ...

I have a boatload of JP1 remotes, and even though the Atlas is butt-ugly, its one of my favorite remotes to use. I also like the Comcast 3 device remotes, again becuase the different groups of buttons have different colors so they are easier to navigate. I bought a bunch of used Comcast remotes, and it seems that the white buttons discolor. None of the white buttons on the Comcast remotes that I bought new have discolored in the past 5 years, so I am assuming its perhaps smokers, people that eat and surf, or people that aren't always washing their hands have problems. The atlases are really hard to identify, there are jp1.2, JP1.3 and newest B03 versions are still experimental and will only work with the RMIR beta.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
tranx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Insignia 67100 Reply with quote

+1 for RCA RCRPO5. Insignia 67100 is the best I tried so far but harder to find
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14125&start=15

Insignia is similar to RCRPO5:-
US Model
Device Specific Macros without using an extender
8 devices

Differs rom RCRPO5:-
Larger buttons
6 more phantom buttons
7 less physical buttons
4 device select buttons instead of 5

UK model OFA 7950 is also nice to use but has less buttons and features

Regards
Chris
tranx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: 7950 vs. RCP05BR & Insignia Reply with quote

Compared to RCA RCP05BR and Insignia 67100, URC 7950 has fewer hard buttons and devices, so there may seem a shortage of 'spare' buttons. In this situation DSMs would be especially useful but unfortunately they are not available and it uses more memory to set up a global macro on a spare button/shifted button, as well as the keymove to put it into a particular device.

On the other hand 7950 does at least have 5 phantom buttons for each device, and it is easier to remember the unlabelled functions on its relatively few hard buttons. Luckily it has 1000mb for moves/macros, instead of 500 for RCRP05/Insignia, with the net effect that you are less likely to run out of memory for moves/macros. Those factors seem to tip the balance in favour of our URC7950s so we started using them again http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11149
tranx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[edited 30.9.2014]
Thanks to the experts, both URC6440 (EU) and OARUSBO4 (US black version) can now use JP1 with RMIR v.2.03, which is currently in alpha 24f.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15638

When configured with JP1. some of the functional differences between URC6440 and OARUSB04 have gone and, without an extender, DSMs can be used as well as DIMs.

For URC Simpleset remotes (like these) a USB lead for connection to PC is supplied,
- so JP1's RMIR can be used without a special JP1 lead.
- proximity backlight
- 4 devices
- 45 physical buttons
- DSMs, macros, and keymoves
- RMIR says 'free memory 8750'.
- Without the extender, shifted keys can be configured and used in macros.
- An (easy) extender is under development and currently includes a shift key http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12773

Last edited by tranx on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
tranx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: 'best' JP1 remotes? Reply with quote

Wiki Remote Chart http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=RemoteChart

Updated minor comparison of some JP1 remotes:
EdT

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice chart, so I will basically keep a look out for these JP1 remotes in my electronic surplus stores ! Wink
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although this thread primarily deals with unextended remotes, I think the URC-6440 with Extender v1.00 deserves an entry of its own. Because of the nature of Simpleset remotes, the extender can be installed and set up without any need for JP1 tools. It is more of an upgrade, really, with a built-in extender whose features become available as soon as the remote is connected to RMIR. The extender package includes a 20-page manual in PDF form that gives details of all the setup procedures available without RMIR, many (but not all) of which work also for the unextended remote but are not mentioned in the original documentation. No features of the original remote, not even learning, are lost with the extender, other than the fact that it will no longer be recognised by the Simpleset.com website. The extender can always be uninstalled and, later, reinstalled if it is ever necessary to download new setup codes from Simpleset.com and RMIR enables you to transfer any setups so obtained from the unextended to the extended remote.

Considered as an upgraded remote, it supports eight devices through four device buttons plus Shift, and four activities through two combo buttons plus Shift. None of its 9728 (0x2600) bytes of data memory is taken up by the extender. Learning is still available. Macros can be nested and both traditional macros and DSMs set up without RMIR, as of course can key moves and volume punchthrough.

When used with RMIR, its extender features become available. These include 15 phantom buttons, which can be used shifted to give a further 15. The standard extender Special Functions of LKP, DKP, ToadTog, Multiplex and Pause are all available, as of course is DSM which is accessible even without RMIR.

With this extender I think this is one of the best remotes UEI has produced, though of course I may be biased Very Happy . There is only one thing missing that I would really like, and that is letters against the digit keys, as many OEM remotes such as for Sky TV now have them for searching.
jeajea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current favorite is the Insignia 67100. However, if you don’t need
extender feature or backlight the Charter URC-1060BC3 for $4 shipped is a very good value.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15961

I like it better than the un-extended versions of the Atlas Ocap or the RCA RCRP05BR.

If you need backlight here is a listing for the Atlas for $8.10 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310989524209
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it might be time to commend Mathdon's post about the Best Remote being URC6440, which presumably refers equally to OARUSB04G for which He also provided an Extender.

Since Mathdon published the Extenders for these remotes, we have needed no other help from the JP1 forum, simply because they have done absolutely everything which might have been required.

What a pity that everything changes and that these remotes may be on the way to running out.

As they say in advertising 'While stocks last'
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Best" is, of course, very much an individual opinion. I quite dislike the OARUSB04G. See http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=132590&highlight=#132590
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
tranx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg

Good points and so the extender makes an even greater difference, otherwise we might still be with 7950, which has the preferred fewer buttons although they are not so big and no backlight.

Among the remotes which are currently available, which is your favourite?

Chris
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried all that many recent remotes. I'm still using the Inteset/Insignia variants. I generally like the shape and layout of the remote, and the tactile feel of the buttons, but the buttons are a bit small.

Unfortunately there are a lot of versions of these, and it's hard to find the ones with backlighting and that have an extender. I rely on the extender to setup fast macros on device buttons for activities.

That is becoming less important as we've switched to streaming everything through Roku devices, and using CEC.

The new Streamer remote is interesting, but I haven't tried it.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Ed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to chime in here in case others might benefit from my experience.

I'm no expert -- far from it -- but I'm a long-time JP1 user who's tried many different remotes. I've have been using the OARUSB04G with the extender for about 6 months now. It's a good remote. The extender and associated documentation are excellent, but I prefer my RCRP05B for two reasons: First, macros on the OARUSB04G are slow and there's no way to speed them up. (I don't stream everything yet so I need macros.) My wife can't use it effectively because she can't (won't?) hold the remote still long enough for all the macro commands to fire. She didn't have that problem with her 8910, which still works but which I've retired because it requires the old style interface and I have to resurrect my XP computer to program it.

Second, my OARUSB04G eats batteries, even having disabled the backlight. I have to replace the batteries every 3-4 months on this remote. With the RCRP05B, I went -- literally -- years without changing batteries with the same basic functionality installed and the same usage pattern.

I see that the RCR is still available. The form factor is not perfect for me, but it handily beats the OAR on macro speed and battery life. I may lay in a supply of them and convert both my wife and me to that remote when I have time.
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
I see that the RCR is still available.

Still available where?
Ed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New ones on ebay

Used ones on Amazon

I will say there seemed to be a lot more available last time I checked -- several months ago.

If you can't find the RCRP05B, the Atlas OCAP (1056B01) uses the same interface as the RCR and is a pretty good remote too, IMO. Easy on batteries and fast macros with the extender. I had trouble getting the "common extender" to work with the pause protocol, but apparently that's no longer a problem with that remote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: