JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FAQ: What is the best JP1 remote?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokalarobia

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
The Harmony is over $300, the 9910 is $40

I wonder : Should you say new Harmony and eBay 9910 ?
However $40 = 26€ is very interesting. Where is it possible to find it, Mdavj ? Can I buy it from Europe ?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kokalarobia wrote:
I wonder : Should you say new Harmony and eBay 9910 ?

No. I got my last 2 brand new 9910's from amazon at that price a few months ago. A new 9910 is $33 HERE, and $25-$40 on ebay. The last JP1 remote (which is nearly as capable as your Harmony) I bought was $10, new from a retail store. I've never seen a $10 Harmony. To be fair I should have compared retail prices, in which case the Harmony is $350 and the 9910 is $42.95, a difference of $307.05. So I stand by my argument that JP1 is much cheaper than Harmony for similar functionality. Where is this discussion going, exactly? You compare the cheapest harmony to one of the most expensive JP1s to justify getting a harmony. Now you are interested in cheap JP1's? The 9910 was just an example. Why would you want that particular one? I have no idea what you're looking for in a remote, and there are well over 100 JP1's to choose from. You must decide what you want regarding number and types of devices, number and types of buttons, shape, size, color, learning, display, touchscreen, memory, extender, backlight, RF, JP1 or JP1.x, price, etc., and whether you are willing to learn how to use the JP1 software tools.

I have no idea where to get them in or from Europe.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej, do you think their picture is accurate? doghnut arrows array like on some of the old, old, old, obsolete, unliked, 8910s?
kokalarobia

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Where is this discussion going, exactly? Now you are interested in cheap JP1's?

Hi, Dear Mdevj,
As I see, The US has so many JP1 models, it is difficult to me to know how old is a model. So many many ! When I wonder why, I remember that OFA is a US brand. In Europe, RF remote is still an unknown thing. JP1 European forum is quite slim. And I learned here, a few days ago that 40 bucks is enough. Such RF IR remote would be good for me. No matter for now neither what will be design, nor whatever sights.
Thank you for your help. Smile I am wondering how to buy from Europe.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
mdavej, do you think their picture is accurate? doghnut arrows array like on some of the old, old, old, obsolete, unliked, 8910s?

Liz,

Many vendors seem to use that same old picture. I'd say they likely aren't the doughnut ring, but can't be sure. I am a little leery of that vendor though. I just did a quick search to make a point, and that was literally the first hit. After looking into it, their shipping is $9, and their terms go on and on about how they might up the shipping charges AFTER you've checked out. That doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy. A couple of months ago the price on amazon had even dropped to $30 with free shipping, but is way up at the moment.
kokalarobia

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are criterias for judging which is the best:
- First of all, the memory space, because there will be no need to make upgrade device, only learning is required. Learned codes may be included in macros. In Logitech Harmony, some remotes have 2 Mo, even 64 Mo.
Standard value for OFA is 2Ko, I begg your pardon if it is wrong.
- Then, USB proprietary cable
- 2 or MORE IR emitting LEDs for omnidirectionnal and powerfull rays
- large device setup codes compatibility, Data Base size, and DB newbies reactiveness
- software flexibility
- price
- design

But may be signal shapes are the best from device upgrade, as there is less distorsion .
sfhub

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you want to use a JP1 remote as a learning remote, there are much better choices.

IMO JP1 remotes should be used with device upgrades and extenders for maximum configurability.

Assuming you are using device upgrades, the memory is really not apples to apples. Device upgrades for JP1 remotes are usually around 30-90 bytes each, so 2k and certainly 4k is normally enough for most peoples' needs.

The cable is a one time purchase.

Some JP1 remotes have 2 IR transmitters. Radio Shack 15-2116 is one. I'm sure others can chime in on others.

It is usually pretty easy to map out the IR functions for new remotes as long as it uses an existing protocol. In mapping out the functions, many times you find out new functions that aren't included in the stock remote.

The flexibility when using extender I think is just as good as Harmony if not better.

Price, JP1 wins, no competition.

Design, depends on which remote style you like. There are many to choose from, but if it were me, I would only choose one with a relatively developed extender.

Harmony remotes do have the soft buttons that can be labeled, which is a big deal for some people. They are very functional remotes and quite easy to use and program. For many people it is the right remote.

If you want even more advanced control, don't mind learning JP1, and like the price, then a JP1 remote with and extender is a good option.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best remote is the one you (and your family) use most often.

I prefer the URC8820, as do two of my kids. SWMBO prefers the URC8910 as does one of my kids. I gave away my URC8040 to someone who likes cool, shiny things but then he uses it in a darkened room with a projector so it's ideal for that application. I still use my URC7562 when learning new codes as I like its chunky buttons and the rubber nubbly bits on the battery door stop it slipping of my leg when it's plugged into the PC (the remote, that is, not my leg).
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated my picture book of mainstream remotes to include the JP1.3 remotes from radioshack and the new RCA remote and the new One For All remote.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mappedyr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great if someone could add some new information to this thread. What is the best JP1 remote in 2012?

/Kjeld
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the US, we are kind of stuck. The RCA RCRP05b remote seems to be the only one available at brick and mortar stores. The new remotes are JP2, JP3, JP4 and are still in the exploration stage. They haven't gone mainstream yet. Everything else has been closed out or discontinued, so you'll be shopping off ebay.

However in Europe, the selection and availability is different.

Tranx has been comparing some remotes here.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=105782#105782
mappedyr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

I have imported a URC-10820 from the US and it works wonderfully.

I am looking for a JP1 remote for my mother. We can get URC-7557 here in Denmark but I am wondering if I should consider some of the alternatives.

/Kjeld
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The urc-10820 and its successor, the 10820n are difficult to find now. In Europe the urc-7781 (12 device with display) is still available, but quite expensive. the URC-7950 also seems to be widely available.

I'm not familiar with the urc-7557. Its not in my list of RDF's and there isn't an RDF in the waiting for release area, but it seems to me, I talked to someone about trying to use the 7557 with a toshiba upgrade. I am unfamilar with what chipset it has, so don't know if it is comaptible with your current cable.

What are your mother's needs? Does she need to control a lot of equipment? Did you want to use an extender to simplify the remote?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
...it seems to me, I talked to someone about trying to use the 7557 with a toshiba upgrade.

You did indeed, here is the thread in question:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13988

The user in that thread confirms that he's able to download from the remote using IR.exe (though not RMIR for some reason), so that confirms that it's a JP1 remote. However, I couldn't tell from the post what type of JP1 remote it is, so I'm just guessing that it's a JP1.x remote.

For those that are interested, there is a large picture of the URC-7557 here:
http://img.audiomania.ru/pics/goods/big/oneforall_digital_5_urc_7557-1.jpg
mappedyr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother needs a replacement remote for a DVB-C box. In fact it runs NEC1 Device 0 (00 FF FF). She could do with a simple learn mode remote but my plan was to add the TV, DVD etc. to the remote on a later point.

I found an even better image of URC-7557 at Amazon: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EdH3z4S8L._AA1373_.jpg

/Kjeld
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: