JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FAQ: What is the best JP1 remote?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: FAQ: What is the best JP1 remote? Reply with quote

We get many questions asking what the best JP1 remote is. The answer is simply, there isn't one!

Defining the best remote boils down to a large amount of personal preference. Do you prefer hard buttons or a touchscreen? Is an LCD display something you'd prefer? Do you want or need an RF command center? It's sort of like asking what the best car is... or the best PC, or TV, place to live, etc, etc, etc.

In the JP1 world, I think it's better to look at a remote in terms of features, functionality, and support. In other words, does it have enough buttons (and are they programmable) to suit my needs? Can it do all the neat JP1 tricks like Key Moves, Macros, Learning, etc? Is it customizable through an available extender? How many JP1'ers are using it?

Right now, the most popular available U.S. remotes are:
  • RadioShack 15-2116 w/LCD
  • RadioShack 15-2117 w/LCD and RF Command Center
  • One-for-All URC-8811
  • One-for-All URC-8810w (available only at Wal-Mart)
  • One-for-All URC-6131 PVR remote (needs to be modified for JP1 use)

There are numerous other models still available as well. Many of the older (no longer available) models can be found at places like eBay, etc.

So remember, a question of "what is the best JP1 remote?" will likely give you several different answers, and there is no right or wrong one!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: What is the best JP1/JP1.x remote? Reply with quote

It has been almost 4 years since this sticky was posted and most of the remotes discussed therein are not readily available so let me give a try at updating it.

"What is the best UEIC remote?" is a question that can have as many answers as you have respondents. Ultimately what matters is what YOU want. One can make an educated guess about the most POPULAR remotes based on which ones get the most questions asked ABOUT, or support sought FOR. Of the "best" remotes available today, I would break them down into three categories:

Hard-button remotes
One-for-All (OFA) models include the:
    URC-6131n, a JP1 remote with very mature support (including an extender). No learning. It requires a hardware modification to support JP1 programming;
    URC-6820/8820/10820, a series of JP1.2-ready learning remotes that share their electronics and are very similar except for the number of device buttons (6/8/10 respectively).
    Personally, I don't really like the shape and feel of these, but a number of people have found them to their liking, and they have pretty good support here, as well. An extender exists for the 8820.
    URC-6131, the predecessor to the 6131n, it is identical electronically, but its form-factor is different, smaller than some of the other remotes, more rounded, and imho more intuitive to operate. Hard to find these new, but Rob still has them in his inventory and sells them pre-modified.
OEM remotes::
Atlas 5-Device PVR remotes. Among popular OEM remotes that many cable providers are using are the hard-button Atlas PVR series. They are readily-available on eBay and have lots of buttons and (imho) a very nice form-factor (although some characterize them as "butt-ugly"). They are designed with learning capability in mind, but depending upon the particular requirements of the cable provider it may or may not always be present/activated. These are the:
    URC-1054 (a JP1 remote with a relatively small 1K EEPROM) - has an extender;
    URC-1055 (with at least four variants of JP1.2 and 1.3 processors) - one of the four variants has an extender; and the
    URC-1056 (a JP1.3 remote) - extender in development.
    Personally, I like the latter, since it has four color buttons, which many new components coming on the market today also have. Support for all of these is developing rapidly.
Hard-button remotes with LCD screens
OFA models include the:
    URC-8910 and the
    URC-9910 (an 8910 with RF extender).
    These JP1 learning remotes have been popular for quite a while, due to their number of devices and buttons, and some enjoy the LCD screen which all of the preceding remotes lack, but some find them a bit too large. They have very mature support with an extender. They are getting pretty hard to find aside from eBay and Rob.
Kameleon Remotes:
OFA currently has 3 models in production:
    URC-9960 (two variants B00 and B01) and
    URC-6960 are 8 and 6-device Kameleons. respectively and the
    URC-6690 is a hybrid Kameleon/Hard button remote.
Kameleons are "snazzy" with their soft-touch changeable screens, but many find them more trouble than they are worth, and don't like having to look at the remote to figure out where buttons are. Having said that, other swear by them, and these remotes also have rather robust software support here.

So what's the best one? It's all a matter of taste and features that are important to YOU.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)

Last edited by Capn Trips on Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
yesok

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: kameleon 3rd generation models for Europe Reply with quote

Hello,

May I add 2 models(URC-8305 and URC-8308) a.k.a 3rd generation Kameleon remotes for Europe. They have Light mode, and with matching Light Control Modules, you can switch on/off or dim the lights.

Yesok Yoon
garypen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3rd Gen Kameleon and Stealth lines, neither available in the US, both look outstanding. I'm tempted to order a 7780 somehow. Although, the prices are kinda crazy, on par with the lower-priced Harmony and HTM models available in the US.

It sure would be great if Rob could get his hands on those models for sale here. They look they blow away any of the currently available US models.

http://www.oneforall-int.com/?pag=39&prodgroepnr=7
kcmurphy88

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still occasionally get 15-1994s on eBay. Aren't many better. Enough keys, widely spaced and sanely placed. 8 devices. 2K eeprom. JP1 connectors in every unit. Backlit. Well supported with 5 extenders. What's not to like?
DirecTV since 1994 // HR20-700 (1TB) // HR21-700 (1TB) // Samsung PN59D7000 // Denon AVR3808CI // Panasonic DMP-BDT110 // Roku XDS // WD HDLive // RS15-1994 JP1.0 remote // Wired Ethernet // BA Micro90x 5.1
garypen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1994 I don't use anymore. Actually, I may have two.
kcmurphy88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garypen wrote:
I have a 1994 I don't use anymore. Actually, I may have two.
Try selling them on ebay. If they're in good shape they might bring $20 each.

Just wondering: what do you use?
DirecTV since 1994 // HR20-700 (1TB) // HR21-700 (1TB) // Samsung PN59D7000 // Denon AVR3808CI // Panasonic DMP-BDT110 // Roku XDS // WD HDLive // RS15-1994 JP1.0 remote // Wired Ethernet // BA Micro90x 5.1
garypen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 bucks each? Sweet!

Right now, I'm using a URC 8820 in the LR, and a RS 2117 in the bedroom. (My wife still uses a 2116 in the LR, as well.) We both like the 2116/2217 better than the 1994. But, I like the 8820 better than the 2116/2117, for the most part. (If only it had backlighting!)

I tried a Harmony 550 for the LR. But, I returned it.
kokalarobia

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: ? ? ? URC-8305, URC-7781, or Harmony-525 ? ? ? Reply with quote

Hi, Folks,
I think I am about to buy one of these RCs. Could you give me some answers and some advices ?
In the shops I have been, I could hold Harmony-525 in my hands, but I could not find an out-packed URC-8305 ; Why ? is it not hard enough ? Is motion activated screen too breakable ?
Is URC-8305 JP1-compatible, ie are there 6 pins connector close to batteries bed ?
Is URC-7781 JP1-compatible, ie is there the 6 pins male connector ?
I think I will buy in a shop which solds all 3 remotes, so I can make exchange.
Do they have the same facility to be programmed as wished by cables ? Or OFA RM are more powerfull, more programmable ; despite Logitech proprietary cable ?
Is there a ROB with Logitech ? Very Happy
Could you gives advices ? Anticipated thanks.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the Remote Chart sticky in this forum for your JP1 compatible questions. IIRC, the 8305 has no pins, and the 7780(?) is JP1.2, not JP1. I doubt you'll find a shop with Harmony and many URCs. Best to find a JP1 you like based on specs (see Remote Chart and the rest of this thread) and order it online. If you must, get the Harmony from a shop you can easily return it to.
kokalarobia

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Why OFA JP1 is the best ? Reply with quote

Hi, There,
Hi, Mdavej,
First of all, if I am out of order, I apologize !
I am one more day thinking about which RC to buy. Today while I was walking through a folk market, I wondered: nowadays Logitech pack contains an USB proprietary cable, no interface problems, no hacking at all. Then for me which is about to buy a NEW RM, why should I prefer JP1 ones ? If Harmony can do the same things ? It is well designed, so easy to use (I have read it here-there).
OFA has a long experience with remotes, the best one in the world probably, but Logitech is hightech reliable.
Help me I do not undestand. Smile .
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many threads here about Harmony versus JP1. The capabilites of both are very similar, but the main advantage of JP1 is it's much lower cost. I also like the ability to redifine the keys and not have to look at a screen or page through menus. If you prefer the graphical interface and price is not a big concern, then Harmony sounds like the best choice for you.
kokalarobia

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
The main advantage of JP1 is it's much lower cost.

Harmony-555 costs the same price as URC-8305. OFA is just 0,04 € more expensive !
See it here : http://search.rueducommerce.fr/shared/recherche/index.cfm?recherche=telecommande&prix=&trix=1&typetrix=DESC&bound=20&schcid=1,9,15,26,34 .
Will you say "For the same price OFA one has more functions, just better ?"
Thank you for your sincereness.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. We don't have the 8305 in the US. A similar model here is about $30. The US version of that Harmony is $100. In your case the Harmony is the better value. Consider the example of the Harmony 890 compared to the URC-9910. Both are RF with similar capabilities. The Harmony is over $300, the 9910 is $40, a huge difference. So a high end Harmony is much more expensive than any JP1, and a low end Harmony is about on par with a high end JP1, in Europe, apparently. Still sounds like Harmony is best for you.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it's still true, but at one time the Harmony remotes required an internet connection in order to be programmed. If the Harmony servers ever went down, or your internet connection was lost, the programming couldn't be done. JP1 remotes only require a connection to a local PC and aren't at the mercy of the internet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: