JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR not reading RDF for URC 8810

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coop53

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: IR not reading RDF for URC 8810 Reply with quote

My first post and new at this, so I know its something I am doing, but...
I have loaded IR 3.21 and downloaded the RDFs for IR Version 1.10 and extracted them into the same folder.

When I download the remote (URC 8810), it can not find a definition file. I see the file that should be the right one- "6_80_2x3 (URC-881x_801x_601x x3 2K).rdf".

Why is IR not seeing it???

Go easy, I know its something easy I am missing!

Coop
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: IR not reading RDF for URC 8810 Reply with quote

coop53 wrote:
I see the file that should be the right one- "6_80_2x3 (URC-881x_801x_601x x3 2K).rdf".

That's not the right file for the 8810, unless you're using the version 3 extender (note the "x3"). The correct RDF for the normal 8810 is named "6_806_80 (URC-881x_801x_601x).rdf".
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, make sure the RDF's are in the same folder as IR.exe.
coop53

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I see that one as well. They are all in the same folder with IR.exe. Is there another way to test or troubleshoot this feature?

Thanks
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try doing a File, New, and see if the appropriate Remote appears in the dialog box. You're looking for "URC-881x_801x_601x (6_806_80)" when you select Sort By: Description.
coop53

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mark. I was able to select the correct remote.

Is normal for all the codes to be 0000? Wouldn't this mean there were no codes entered (or even default). I have already set up several devices using setup, so this seems odd.

I get the feeling it is not really downloading data from the remote. Is there anything else I can try?
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coop53 wrote:

Is normal for all the codes to be 0000? Wouldn't this mean there were no codes entered (or even default). I have already set up several devices using setup, so this seems odd.

I get the feeling it is not really downloading data from the remote. Is there anything else I can try?

Some remotes have default codes put in. But the 8811's just show all zeros. Also there are more than enough redundancy checks in the image that IR knows when it downloaded or not. Just look at the Raw data tab.

If you want to verify this for sure, change a device number (to a valid one), download then upload.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coop53 wrote:

After you did the File, New in IR, did you download the remote? If you did, and it was successful, then there's something else wrong.

Creating a new file in IR would result in all the devices being set to 0000 since IR doesn't know what the default settings are. It simply creates a "clean" workspace.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coop,
What devices are you trying to set up? If this is your first whack at JP1, most people just use the pre-existing device upgrades in the device upgrades folder at JP1. The only time you have to start from scratch and create your own upgrade is when the device upgrade does not already exist. In this case, having some experience with the previously created devices, you create your own from scratch using learned data from the original remote. If you don't have the original remotes, then you just plead and beg and whine as much as possible and the data you need magically appears, but usually in a bizarre format called ccf.
Good Luck!
JP1Files
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coop53 wrote:

Is normal for all the codes to be 0000?

After you did the "new" operation, yes.
At that point IR has discarded all the data it downloaded from your remote.

The suggestion to do the "new" was just to verify that IR could read the RDF file. "new" can't be used to correct a downloading problem.

coop53 wrote:

That would be my guess.
Try that download again. After it seems to succeed (but can't find the right RDF), click in the raw data tab. There ought to be a lot of FF's with scattered other data, and the first two line should have few if any FF's. The third through sixth items in the first row should be 36 5F 38 30.

If the raw data looks wrong (vs. what I described) you can use the file/save menu pick to write that raw data to a .txt file and then open the .txt file (with Windows Notepad or similar program) and copy/paste part of it to the thread here. We might guess the nature of the problem by looking at that data.

If you don't yet have useful programming in your 8810, you should try a 981 reset on the remote and then redownload. If the download is going wrong because of problems in the true eeprom contents that will fix it. But if you have useful contents programmed in the remote, you should investigate other interface issues before erasing all your programming with the 981.

Also try changing the delay from IR's "Interface" menu pick.
coop53

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnsfine- thanks, the values you noted were in those respective positions, so apparently it is reading the remote.
Still don't know why it won't use the rdf to interpret the data.

I was planning to use some posted upgrades to get additional functionality and experiment a little. Will I still be able to do that?

Any chance I can screw something up in a serious way? I have saved a txt file with the current settings.

I appreciate all the help.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coop53 wrote:
I was planning to use some posted upgrades to get additional functionality and experiment a little. Will I still be able to do that?

Any chance I can screw something up in a serious way? I have saved a txt file with the current settings.

It never hurts to try! Wink

You can't really screw anything up... there's always the 981 reset, plus since you saved a file, that can always be uploaded to the remote later.

Go ahead and experiment!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: