JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My JP1 remotes don't work as good as the original on my tivo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkindley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: My JP1 remotes don't work as good as the original on my tivo Reply with quote

I have two JP1 remotes ( RS-2116 & OEM30OEM ) that I have programmed with the 0636 tivo code. I have the radioshack pyramid type IR repeaters to bounce the signal back to my living room from both my family room and bedroom.
When trying to control my tivo in my bedroom, my original tivo remote workes great, I just pres the button while aiming it sort of close to the pyramid. But with the JP1 remote I have to aim it real carefully and even then some times I am pressing the button many times to get the command to take ( usually FF or Play ). Also it seams like the command is sent slower than the original remote ( If you have a tivo you know how you press Play after coming out of a commercial) I always miss the starting point of my program with the JP1 remote, but not with the OEM remote.

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem ? Maybe a slightly modified protocol ? I am pretty good with JP1 but I am no pro.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, if he's using the VCR/0636 code, he has a stand alone Sony Tivo.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the oem remote in the bedroom and the JP1 remote in the main room with the tivo? If so, sounds like you're getting IR interference from the IR extenders in the main room. The extenders are picking up RF interference and putting out IR junk signals that are bombarding you tivo. You might try plugging the extenders into x10 modules, when not needed turn off the module, and the interference.
jkindley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the original and the JP1 remote in the bedroom. So it's not interference. I have gotten interference before but this is not what I am talking about here.
That being said, my problem might be that the IR repeaters pickup some remotes better than others. Maybe the original Sony Tivo remote has a stronger output IR LED than the OEM30 JP1 remote. But I also have problems sometimes using my RS-2116 from the family room to control the tivo in the living room. Could it be that the protocol that the Tivo uses is not 100% the same as the VCR/0636 code ? How would I test this ?
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1] What happens when you point all the remotes at a digital camera, press buttons and look at them on the viewscreen - are they all the same brightness?

2] Are the LED emitters in your universal remotes a little bit recessed when compared with the OEM remote? Two LEDs can be just as strong (or just as bright) when viewed head-on but if one LED is a just a little bit recessed then this will reduce its field of view/narrow its effective beam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: