JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

setting up macros to put tivo in standby mode
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: setting up macros to put tivo in standby mode Reply with quote

has anybody tried programming a macro when it turns power to all systems to also place tivo series 2 in standby mode as well on the oneforall 8910
since tivo doen't have a just a standby button
if you set it Menu select down arrow 5 x select and down arrow 5x select again that exceeds the 15 command limit for the remote direct macro setting
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you can use CHAN -(DN) to move a page at a time down so that might save you some keystrokes.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a macro at all, there is a efc for standby, its 152.
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: efc? Reply with quote

what is an efc anyway
greenough1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, an efc let's you enter that function as an "advanced code" on some key. Look in hifi-remote.com for how to enter advanced codes for your remote.

jeff
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: efc? Reply with quote

chelli1501 wrote:
what is an efc anyway

Try the following:

1. press and hold SET
2. scroll down to Keymover
3. press SELECT
4. press VCR or SAT, whichever you're using
5. tap SET
6. enter 1-5-2
7. press SELECT
8. press VCR or SAT
9. pick a key
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: that's programning Tivo into the remote Reply with quote

that step is fine if your attempting the Tivo urc code into the 8910
that isnt the question I asked
I want to set fewer commands in the macro seq to set the remote to put the Tivo into standby mode.red the first post carefully again please
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: that's programning Tivo into the remote Reply with quote

chelli1501 wrote:
that step is fine if your attempting the Tivo urc code into the 8910
that isnt the question I asked
I want to set fewer commands in the macro seq to set the remote to put the Tivo into standby mode.red the first post carefully again please

Wrong, advanced code 152, is the only command you will need to put your tivo into standby. No need to enter the menu at all, or to scroll down to standby. The steps I listed is for mapping EFC 152 to key. Then thereafter you would only need to do press that one key, you will go from tuner to standby, press it again you go from standby to the last tuned channel. i'm through.
whompus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what MaskedMan is telling you is that efc is what you are sending if you go through the menu down select stuff. So putting that efc on a button in step 9 select a key. Then the key you selected is all you will have to put after tivo power in the all on macro to set the tivo to standby at power on for all.

(I see you beat me to the button MaskedMan)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: that's programning Tivo into the remote Reply with quote

chelli1501 wrote:
read the first post carefully again please

Michelle, if you cop an attitude with someone when they're trying to help you, they probably won't bother trying to help you any further. When you're a beginner and the helper is an expert, it's worth giving them the benefit of the doubt.
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't being sarcastic I opened this topic on setting macros up on the 8910 and finding to see if someone know of using less commands esp since each macro only accepts15 commands it would take 13 coomands to reach the standyby option not allowing for all other units to be shut off the same macro
Only one suggestion came close by binky123 using the channel keys instead bypasing 10 commands
greenough1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what edmund says. The efc he gives you (aka advanced code) will put your tivo into standby with a single key stroke (that keystroke being the one you program the efc onto).

Many devices have functionality that is not exposed on the original remote. that is what the advanced codes, expressed as efc's, do for you - they access this extra functionality.

E.g. on my display to access the DTV input, with the OEM remote, I had to scroll through all other inputs. With an advanced code (or efc), I could go directly there with a single button press.

When you see a poster has a label "expert" in this forum, they know what they're talking about. Edmund is the master of efc's Wink

jeff
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: the efc worked Reply with quote

Although I asked on help on macros to place the tivo in standby mode I folowed Edmunds advise and programmed my sleep key to put it into standby so now I only have to add one entry to include it to shut power down to all devices
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelli1501 wrote:
I wasn't being sarcastic I opened this topic on setting macros up on the 8910 and finding to see if someone know of using less commands esp since each macro only accepts15 commands it would take 13 coomands to reach the standyby option not allowing for all other units to be shut off the same macro
Only one suggestion came close by binky123 using the channel keys instead bypasing 10 commands

We often get questions by newbies asking for help doing something tricky like this, where the poster is asking for help doing something their way. When we can see what their end goal is (ie, getting the Tivo to turn off, in your case) and we know of a better way to accomplish this goal, what do you think we should do? Do you think we should help the person to continue doing things the difficult (or impossible) way that they have set out to do it, or should we should them the correct way to do it? Edmund obviously took the latter approach, I'll let you decide if that's the better approach.

As for your general approach to posting here, I would strongly encourage you to read the following article which offers some great advice on posting in techie forums like this...

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said already I have decided to follow MaskedMans sugeestion after he explained what an efc wasand I wasn't rude in my reply earlier either as I used the word please I am new to this to this and haven't even received my jp1 interface as yet though it's been now 2 weeks when it was sent out to me.
So I am somewhat frustrated about that as well and given no tracking no it's up to the seller to trace it down
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: