JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need help with Slingbox bin file

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Slingbox and Dish DVR942 Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been trying to use RM to add a single function to the S0775_JU.bin file that comes with the slingplayer software. I was able to import the bin but any changes I make do not seem to affect the IR codes that get generated. Here are my details.

Dish Network DVR942
Slingbox:
Hardware version: 1.0.2
IR Blaster version: 2.1
Firmware version: 1.0.36
Device IR Code: Satellite:0775

All functions are available by default except the very important */Format function. I found a code from a Dish 921 file for another remote but when I tried to apply that code to the Mute function from the imported S0775_JU.bin I got no result. I then tried to apply it to the "0" function and it did not work either. The "0" still sent a 0 to the 942 so I concluded that I was not changing the the bin file when I exported. If any one has any suggestions or existing bin files that can control the 942 fully please advise.

Also, I thought I had a PL version but my software is using a JU BIN???? Is this messed up? Is 2.1 PL?

thanks,

Brian
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be better off using one of the Dish files from the file section rather than importing the bin file, but if you know the OBC or EFC for the function that you want to add, using the bin file should work.

If your box is a PL unit, you should only deal with PL bin files. Making changes to the JU bin file will have no affect on your PL box.

What is it that is leading you to believe that the software thinks you have a JU box?
blh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robman,

I only need to add one function to the Slingbox file S0775_JU.bin. I assume this file is the one my sling software uses to send the IR codes because it lists S0775 in my sling config. I looked for a S0775_PL.bin but there was none to be found so somehow it seems that my 2.1 (PL) slingbox is using a S0775_JU.bin file. I realize that just because the name of the file contains JU doesn't mean it is a JU type file but I have no knowledge of how to tell which type it truly is. I tried to import a copy of the JU bin and renamed it to a PL but I still got similar results which led me to believe that the RM software might not be processing the files correctly.

The EFC code I am trying to add is 110. I got this from a DISH811/921 file. As I posted before, I modified a "0" key to see if the IR code would change with no luck (it still sent a 0). This is what made me think the RM software was not exporting correctly or I was missing some important piece of information.

I also deleted all bin files from the SBAV directory except S0775_JU.bin to make sure the sling box was using the JU file instead of some other file.

If you have any more advice please let me know. I would try using an existing file but I could not find one for my device.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason that there isn't a PL version of the file is probably because the code in question in built into the PL box itself. The PL box will NEVER use JU files, so any changes that you make to the JU file will be ignored, as you have discovered.

If you want to go the IMPORT route, I would recommend that you import the JU bin file and then change the selected "remote" to the PL version, add your code and then save the file. RM will save it as S0775_PL.bin.

If you then place this file in your SBAV folder, your PL box should pick it up.
blh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robman,

Thanks for the help. It worked like a charm. The only thing I do not understand is how my slingbox was able to use the S0775 configuration if there was never a S0775_PL.bin to read from. You mentioned it might be built in. If that is the case, then I guess slingbox planned on adding a S0775_PL.bin to a future software upgrade when a change was needed.

Thanks again your instruction are great.

Brian
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see if this helps. Think of the Slingbox as a universal remote. When you buy a universal remote it comes with tons of codes pre-loaded that work all sorts of gear. These codes are burned into the remotes processor (otherwise known as the MCU). Many universal remotes made by UEI also have the ability to have additional codes loaded into the remote, these new codes get loaded into a temporary memory chip (otherwise known as an EEPROM).

The remote control chip in the Slingbox works in much the same way. It has lots of codes already burned into it's memory, but it also has the ability to have new codes added to it's memory. These new codes come in the form of bin files. If you're using a code and you don't see a matching bin file, it means you are using a code from the MCU.

Does that help explain it?
blh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that helps clear things up.

brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: