JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC8811s won't respond

View previous topic :: View next topic  
landolfi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: URC8811s won't respond Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have two URC8811s that will not respond to IR. What happens is that I get two flashes after an upload to the remote, then a single solid flash after that. I've tried removing batteries and shorting terminals, but after replacing the batteries I also get two quick flashes and one long. I can't reset because none of the keys on the remotes are working, including set. Any other ideas? It seems the EEPROM must be corrupt but with no apparent way for me to reset.

Thanks in advance,

Bob
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember if that's a sign of weak batteries.

If new batteries don't help, post your IR file, and we'll see if the problem is in the IR image.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
landolfi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I can't remember if that's a sign of weak batteries.

One set of batteries is new, the other good, taken from a recently replaced set in another remote.

I was getting errors when opening the IR files in 8.02, so I reverted to 7.14 and it no longer complains when I open the files, and in one case I've even been able to get just the two acknowledgement flashes when it uploads the IR image. But all keys are still dead even after this.

Where would I post the IR file?

Last edited by landolfi on Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

landolfi wrote:
One set of batteries is new, the other good, taken from a recently replaced set in another remote.

Please make sure to try fresh batteries for all that fit into the compartment. Often times, weird quirks and issues are related a deficiency in current while using the JP1 connector, as it requires much more juice to communicate through the cable then it does to blast IR signals.

landolfi wrote:
Where would I post the IR file?

Into our Diagnositc Area. Please make sure to provide links to your upload in your next post, as it is very difficult to find files in there.
landolfi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filename: Latest_IR_File

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10678
landolfi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's where things stand. I am using a parallel cable with the parallel port set to Normal. I've also tried EPP, same results.

I tried new batteries in both remotes. When putting the batteries in, I get 2 flashes on both remotes. Keys are still dead. One of the remotes has SAT, CBL, CD, and AUX working, but no other keys work, so I can't reset using 981 on either one.

I can get both remotes to respond to an IR upload with two flashes, but they still don't work after the upload.

I've tried downloading from the remote to IR and the previously uploaded devices show up.

I've tried creating a very simple new IR scheme (TV and DVD) and uploaded it to the remotes. Two flashes, still doesn't work.

I took both remotes apart and put them back together and none of the keys seem to be stuck.

The frustrating thing about this, I read in these boards how rare it is for these to fail. And one of these two remotes sat in a drawer for over a year with no batteries.

It seems the EEPROM on both is hosed, probably from a previous bad upload from IR. Is there any other way to reset it if the needed keys don't work? Could I be using the wrong RDF in IR? I had previously (several years ago) taken out all RDFs other than the one that worked, so all I can say there is this worked in the past.

All suggestions are of course welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: