JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sky and Sky+ remotes - Easy (or not) to JP1?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!! Surprised I'm impressed!

I wonder if once
(a) mods are made;
(b) rdf's "built";
(c) support figured out

it will be possible to make these remotes handle more than two devices - although how one would select them is beyond me - unless someone developed an extender for them.

Additionally, a system would have to be developed to identify which version of Sky or Sky+ remote one has, since there are already two Sky rdf's in the JP1 tools - and these appear to be different still!

Well, "Bravo!" just the same, and if my contribution of these remotes contibutes in any small way to world peace, then I'm just grateful to have had the opportunity. Laughing

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Mike-C

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_d_p_gumby wrote:
Do I understand correctly that when pin 3 is tied low, the remote does not communicate with the EEPROM?

No, the missing components stopped the communication with the EEPROM. Pin 3 selects whether the remote control defaults to acting as a standard Sky remote (pin tied low) or Sky+ remote (pin tied high).

Basically, the standard type and Sky+ type Digiboxes use the same infrared commands but with a slightly different header byte (the upper nibble of the transmitted infrared header byte indicates which mode is selected). Newer models of the Sky remote can be switched to control either type of Digibox by pressing a combination of buttons on the remote :

TV, Select + Yellow until LED flashes, x, Select (LED flashes twice), Sky

where x = 0 to set it to normal mode or 1 to set it to Sky+ mode.

The status of pin 3 selects which mode the remote defaults to.

The mode status of the remote is also stored at byte 17h of the EEPROM :

00 for normal Sky mode
0C for Sky+ mode

That still leaves pin 10, which is currently tied low on the three remotes I've looked at here. I tried tying it high but could find no difference in the infrared output of the remote control or in its performance.

mr_d_p_gumby wrote:
I'm wondering if this is some sort of mode-switch between JP1 and JP1.2.

As far as I've found, the Sky remote is still a JP1 rather than JP1.2 model.

mr_d_p_gumby wrote:

The existing RDFs are set for use with the 6805RC CPUs and I expect this remote will be quite different. For example, back when UEI was using those CPUs, they stored the assigned setup code for each device button differently than they do now in the newer S3C8-based remotes. Keymaps, button numbers, etc., will all be different.

You might need to work without an RDF (putting IR in "raw" mode) until you can establish some basic info. Try assigning different setup codes to the TV device, saving a raw download each time. Then post the files in the diagnostic section, along with notes indicating which setup code was assigned in each file. Rob, myself, or some other expert can probably create a starter RDF of some sort from that info. It would be helpful if you could do the same with each device button, but I don't know if this remote will let you change the Sky box setup code.

Yes, I've been picking my way though in Raw mode to try and work out what is what. I know that the header is BS03BS30 and that the TV mode is stored in bytes 0C and 0D so, as you can see, I've got a fair way to go!

Schematics and Raw dumps to follow soon..... Very Happy
P cole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Source of 24AA16 Reply with quote

Mike-C or anyone else in the UK that could answer,

I'm following this thread with interest, and as I've ditched my SKY system, & I'm now into JP1'ing, I've dug out an old sky remote, which needs a 24AA16.

I've tried the likes of Farnell /CPC RS components, & Maplin, but found no source as of yet.

Where do you get yours from, or is there an equivalent.? (24C16??)

I've got some 24LC65's which we use at work, but looking at the two data sheets, I dont think they are compatible.

Thanks in advance,

Phil
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The letter in the middle of the part number (ie, the "C" in "24C16") can sometimes be different values and the part will still work. I have used 24LC16 on many occassions. I think that letter indicated the voltage requirements of the chip, so just make sure that the chip will work with the voltage supply in your remote (ie, 3v or 6v)
P cole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob.

You're right the L is low voltage 2.5V operation.
Mike-C

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are interested, the schematics for the Sky/Sky+ remote controls are available for download in the Miscellaneous/Schematics area.

RC 1600/00U is the latest Rev 6 Sky remote control
URC 1650-001 B00 is the latest Rev 6 Sky+ remote control
URC 1680/00U is the other Sky+ remote control.

Mike
Mike-C

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Source of 24AA16 Reply with quote

P cole wrote:
I've dug out an old sky remote, which needs a 24AA16.

I've tried the likes of Farnell /CPC RS components, & Maplin, but found no source as of yet.

Where do you get yours from, or is there an equivalent.? (24C16??)

The ones I used were some I had lying about from another project.

As Rob has already said, a 24LC16 will do the job although the 24AA16 has the advantage that it will work down to 1.8v (the 24LC16 needs 2.5v according to the datasheet).

RS do the SOIC8 versions of the 24LC16, order code 379-1816 or 380-1941.

P cole wrote:

I've got some 24LC65's which we use at work, but looking at the two data sheets, I dont think they are compatible.

Sadly, that's right. Anything bigger than the 24xx16 device uses a different addressing mode and won't work with most JP1 remotes.
P cole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

I've found those RS 24LC16's I might go for the DIP vers 831-810 (& not just because its cheaper Wink ) cos I also have a sky remote without the eeprom PCB section.

Using the LC type will rule out rechargeable batterys though.

The 24AA16 can be bought through Microchip http://www.microchipdirect.com/ProductDetails.aspx?Category=24AA16(BUYMICROCHIP)&Sort=PackageType&mid=1&FilterValue=SOIC
at a bargain price of 35p
But the shipping out of thailand is £12

Phil
Mike-C

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P cole wrote:

I've found those RS 24LC16's I might go for the DIP vers 831-810.

Before wiring it all up, don't forget to make sure there's room in the remote control casing to fit a DIP version Wink
P cole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Mike, I hadn't thought of that.

Looks like it might be a tight squeeze.

Ah well maybe I'll splash out on the SO package after all.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a surface mount chip when I modded one of these remotes once. I glued the chip to the perf board and then soldered wires to the pins. However, if I had had a DIP version available I probably would have used it.
P cole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've soldered in the EEPROM & Header, and got IR 6.15 communicating.
Thanks for assistance in this.

Here is where I stray off topic slightly, for which I apologise,

Added a new device, created in Remote master, SAT 2001, assigned this to the Sky button, and programmed functions work fine.

However, I dont get the single flash when I press SKY button or TV button, and I cant seem to assign anything to the TV button.

In IR.exe \general\other settings what are the VPT settings for?

Also, in remote master, it allows shifted commands, but which button would be shift?

Sorry I know I've strayed a long way off hardware Embarassed
Been playing for a few hours, and am stuck.

Phil
P cole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh VPT is volume punch through. (one question answered)
P cole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: All sorted Reply with quote

Its ok now, just couldn't get it to work with a particular TV.

Works with other TV's

Now dont remember whether it used to flash LED when pressing TV/SKY buttons, but it sure dont anymore.

Very pleased with results, now moving on to the other SKy remote requiring patch board.

One point worthy of note, I had to set VPT for SKY (programmed upgrade) on to allow these assigned vol & mute buttons to work, otherwise by default TV vol up/down & mute are used.

Also was something funny going on with the assignment of green, 2, & box office buttons? but I persevered & got there in the end. maybe the rdf needs tweaking?

Phil
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: All sorted Reply with quote

P cole wrote:

Also was something funny going on with the assignment of green, 2, & box office buttons? but I persevered & got there in the end. maybe the rdf needs tweaking?

Phil

Well, what rdf are you using? The last I saw about these "newer" Sky remotes was:
Mike-C wrote:

mr_d_p_gumby wrote:

The existing RDFs are set for use with the 6805RC CPUs and I expect this remote will be quite different. For example, back when UEI was using those CPUs, they stored the assigned setup code for each device button differently than they do now in the newer S3C8-based remotes. Keymaps, button numbers, etc., will all be different.

You might need to work without an RDF (putting IR in "raw" mode) until you can establish some basic info. Try assigning different setup codes to the TV device, saving a raw download each time. Then post the files in the diagnostic section, along with notes indicating which setup code was assigned in each file. Rob, myself, or some other expert can probably create a starter RDF of some sort from that info. It would be helpful if you could do the same with each device button, but I don't know if this remote will let you change the Sky box setup code.

Yes, I've been picking my way though in Raw mode to try and work out what is what. I know that the header is BS03BS30 and that the TV mode is stored in bytes 0C and 0D so, as you can see, I've got a fair way to go!

Schematics and Raw dumps to follow soon..... Very Happy

...and I haven't seen any Raw dumps yet, from which someone could start building an rdf.

Have I missed something?

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: