JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sky and Sky+ remotes - Easy (or not) to JP1?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Sky and Sky+ remotes - Easy (or not) to JP1? Reply with quote

I'm a happy user of HTPros, 2117s and 1994, who has always recognized, but never followed up on, the fact that the JP1 tools have support for Sky remote controls.

Searching the forum here, I have concluded that although my Sky remote has 6 holes visible in the battery compartment, it would require soldering in an EEPROM and the 6-pin header to become JP1 compatible. Is that correct?

Is there anyone currently lurking on the forum who actually uses a JP1-ed Sky remote? I'm interested in whether or not you like it, and if I should give it a shot and try to modify mine.

Secondly, it has been determined that the Sky+ codes differ from the Sky codes only in the subdevice field (RC6-6-20 protocol. Setup code for Sky+ (subdevice 16) is SAT 1175 while Sky (subdevice 0) is SAT/0847).

I have not seen any mention here, however, of whether or not the Sky+ remote is a JP1 remote. Before I start dismantling my Sky+ remote (that I do not own, but lease), does anybody here know if the Sky+ remote is JP1-able?

Finally, again from THIS THREAD, it appears there have been TWO versions of the Sky remote that are JP1-able, but I see only one listed in the various tools. Are there, in fact, TWO different Sky remotes that can be JP1-ed? Was the work (RDF, map file, etc.) ever completed on that second one?

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are at least 2 versions of the Sky remote floating around out there. The first one is either JP1 ready out of the box or it needs a few parts soldered in, and I forget which. The second version requires more work to get it to a JP1 state of readiness.

Someone sent me the 2nd version from the UK once and I made it JP1-able. The only reason I was able to figure out what needed to be done was because a previous user had posted pictures of the first version (I think these pics are in the Photos folder of the old Yahoo group). The 2nd version required that I added a new mini circuit board which contained the 6-pin connector and the EEPROM.

If you can see holes inside the battery compartment, you probably have the 1st version, which will need the pins added and possibly an EEPROM. This sort of mod is easy, I've done this mod hundreds of times with the URC-6131. So I would definitely recommend that you go for it, especially now that you're in the Top Ten Poster club!!!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of pride myself on being one of the least knowledgeable, but most vocal, members on the forum. Never let it be said that I allow ignorance of a subject to affect how confident I am of my position on it. Razz

I have soldered something ONCE in my life, about 30 years ago, with a borrowed soldering iron, it was some cheesy speakers in a box getting jury-rigged in my old VW Rabbit (ahh, the halcyon days of college!).

So we're talking about a major investment in time and minor investment in money to get soldering gear, get reasonably good at it, and then modifying/destroying the OEM Sky remote.

Sounds like I want a slodering iron for Christmas!

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the prices are like back in the UK for soldering irons (probably high I bet) but you can get a reasonable iron over here for about $8. Plus you'd need some solder which would set you back another $2 or so.

Back when JP1 started, my last soldering project, in fact - my ONLY soldering project, was when I soldered together an electronic dice in a tobacco tin, as part of my electronics 'O' level class in high school. However, the cost of admission into the JP1 group was higher back then as the only JP1 interface available was the one we now call the "Dan Classic". This puppy used about $20 worth of parts and took me 4 hours to solder together over two evenings. Lots of people would ask if someone else would build it for them, but not surprisingly there were no takers.

So, if you want to call yourself a true JP1-er, you need to get yourself an iron and not let something like missing pins stand in your way. (John Fine is the only expert who gets a free pass on the soldering stuff Wink ). If they really are way more expensive back in Blighty, I could get you one from over here but you'd a way to plug it in (as it would run on 110v).
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If they really are way more expensive back in Blighty, I could get you one from over here but you'd a way to plug it in (as it would run on 110v).
No worries mate. I have access to several avenues of procurement from the good old US of A (but I still have the 110/220 v issue.) No worries. This is a get-around-to-it-when-I-get-around-to-it project. Very Happy

Amazon Firestick
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
No worries mate.

You sure you're a yank and not an Aussie!

Capn Trips wrote:
I have access to several avenues of procurement from the good old US of A (but I still have the 110/220 v issue.) No worries. This is a get-around-to-it-when-I-get-around-to-it project. Very Happy

Back when I bought the parts to make my first "Dan Classic" interface, I accidentally ordered all the parts twice, so I actually have a spare un-opened soldering iron. So, if you develope a need for it, let me know.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I don't know what the prices are like back in the UK for soldering irons (probably high I bet) but you can get a reasonable iron over here for about $8. Plus you'd need some solder which would set you back another $2 or so.

About the same price here, really
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, after dismantling my Sky and Sky+ remotes and looking at what can be done with the Sky remote in KM, RM adn IR, I have concluded there is insufficient upside (i.e. gain of knowledge and certainly virtually NO gain in functionality) to justify devoting too much energy to these remotes. Even if they are upgradeable, they remain 2-device remotes, and only a few buttons actually will ever send signals from the TV device, so I'm unlikely to ever use either of them (unless someone cares to develop an extender with device multiplexor capabilities for them).

I have, however, taken apart both, and the Sky looks slightly different inside than the ones posted in the link in an earlier post, whilst the Sky+ is similar, but has a few more buttons (for the PVR functions). If there is academic interest, I am happy to take a bunch of photos of the CBs and button layouts and post them, and am even willing to send them to Rob (or anybody else who wants to pursue remote knowledge for the sake of pursuing remote knowledge) for destructive testing to attempt to JP1-ize and to build/refine RDFs.

However, I still think that their usefulness is EXTREMELY limited since they're 2-device remotes (although I particularly like the button layout and feel of the Sky+ remote.)

Amazon Firestick
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see the photos. If all that's missing is the EEPROM and the 6-pin, I'd be happy to solder them in for you if you don't want to (it's about 5 minutes of work). If either of them needs a new circuit board I doubt that I'll have time to do it.

Regarding the Device Multiplexor, you don't need to have an extender in order to be able to use that, your remote just needs to support upgrades and keymoves.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I'd like to see the photos. If all that's missing is the EEPROM and the 6-pin, I'd be happy to solder them in for you if you don't want to (it's about 5 minutes of work). If either of them needs a new circuit board I doubt that I'll have time to do it.

Regarding the Device Multiplexor, you don't need to have an extender in order to be able to use that, your remote just needs to support upgrades and keymoves.
Roger that, Robman. Will upload photos sometime late tomorrow. I'm busy watching Navy kick Army's ass right now and the rest of Saturday will therefore be shot Razz

Amazon Firestick
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking or Army and Navy, have you ever noticed that the Radio Station call letters over here all start with 1 of 4 letters. East Coast stations all start with a "W", West Coast stations all start with a "K", then in addition there's the "A" Army and "N" Navy stations, so in total the four letters used are W.A.N.K.

Now, most people over here are probably saying "so what", but I'm guessing that you've learned enough English over there already to see why some people might find that amusing.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

I can't figure out to upload pictures into the body of a post here. Should I just put them in the dianosis folder? or what's the right way to get them posted?

The Img button at the top of the message composition window seems to require a url for the pics. They're on my hard drive, not on a web page somewhere.

Amazon Firestick
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only include pics into the body of a post if you first find a place to host them. If you don't have any means to load them up to the web, then just zip them together and load them into the Diag Area and I'll grab them from there.
Mike-C

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sky and Sky+ remotes - Easy (or not) to JP1? Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
I'm a happy user of HTPros, 2117s and 1994, who has always recognized, but never followed up on, the fact that the JP1 tools have support for Sky remote controls.

Searching the forum here, I have concluded that although my Sky remote has 6 holes visible in the battery compartment, it would require soldering in an EEPROM and the 6-pin header to become JP1 compatible. Is that correct?

Yes

Capn Trips wrote:
Is there anyone currently lurking on the forum who actually uses a JP1-ed Sky remote? I'm interested in whether or not you like it, and if I should give it a shot and try to modify mine.

Yes. I'm also in the UK and have JP1-ed three Sky remotes. One needed just the 6 pin header and EEPROM added, and the other two needed the small patch board added (www.skyeye.force9.co.uk/ee_skyjp1.htm is my website that gives the details of how I did it).

I used the 24AA16-I/SN EEPROM from Microchip as they work down to 1.8 volts and are available cheaply.

The first one I did, I programmed to control the Kenwood radio in my car - it always gets a laugh when people ask why I have a Sky remote control in the car Very Happy

I'm very pleased with upgrading mine. I've had hours of fun making the parallel and serial JP1 programming leads and then getting various cheap JP1-able remotes on eBay.

If you feel confident doing the upgrade, I'd say go for it.

Capn Trips wrote:
Secondly, it has been determined that the Sky+ codes differ from the Sky codes only in the subdevice field (RC6-6-20 protocol. Setup code for Sky+ (subdevice 16) is SAT 1175 while Sky (subdevice 0) is SAT/0847).

I have not seen any mention here, however, of whether or not the Sky+ remote is a JP1 remote. Before I start dismantling my Sky+ remote (that I do not own, but lease), does anybody here know if the Sky+ remote is JP1-able?

The Sky+ remotes that I've seen inside do not have a space for a connector or EEPROM. That's not to say that it can't be done, but I don't know of anyone who has tried it yet. I've only got the one Sky+ remote and haven't tried to modify it as I don't want to trash it.

The Open QWERTY keyboard that Sky also supply does have a space for an EEPROM but I think it also needs some extra resistors and capacitors (and possibly some transistors) added. I've added the EEPROM but not been able to work out which Rs/Cs are required.

Capn Trips wrote:
Finally, again from THIS THREAD, it appears there have been TWO versions of the Sky remote that are JP1-able, but I see only one listed in the various tools. Are there, in fact, TWO different Sky remotes that can be JP1-ed? Was the work (RDF, map file, etc.) ever completed on that second one?

I think the two .RDF files have different headers - one is BSKY and the other is SKYAO. My remote that had spaces on the PCB was a BSKY type and the two without spaces were SKYAO types, although yours may be different. I think I had a minor problem with the SKYAO .RDF file in that a couple of the button mapping definitions needed tweaking. I'm afraid I can't remember the exact details off the top of my head as it was a few months ago, but it wasn't anything major. If you need more information, just let me know.

Mike
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sky remote:

has the following sticker in the battery compartment:
RC 1600/00U
3128 147 16213
Made in Portugal
OP00 04 45 81

The top of the CB

is labelled :
A-side

and has all of the button pad contact surfaces, as well as traces and apparently a spot for the EEPROM and any additional resitors/jumpers required near the 6-hole penetration

The back side is pretty bare,

with the exception of 2 components, and the IC, which has:

SC516513PE
0L78P
CTDQ0430

on the chip and various silk-screened data on the CB itself, like:
3079 2
and
DM/6/94/HB
and
0434M8

Analogous data for the Sky+ remote
:

Batt Compt:

RC 1680/00U
3128 147 16122
Made in Portugal
OP00 0434 6A1

CB top:

A-side

IC:
SC516513PE
0L78P
CTBP0424

SilkScreenings on CB:
3080 1
DM/6/94/HB
0420M8

I note that the Sky+ remote has no 6-hole penetration, and the case appears to be a little more difficult to adapt to accomodate a 6-pin connector.

I'm happy to send you both for modification/experimentation - and an appropriate honorarium to the Robman retirement fund for any effort expended.

Amazon Firestick
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: