JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Scan/Fav list with 8811 extender 3.3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
friendlyfire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Scan/Fav list with 8811 extender 3.3 Reply with quote

Hi, my setup is nearly working perfectly, and I am very pleased.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to the awesome tools and reference material.

I'm a bit stuck. I can't get the fav key to function. I used the scan/fav tab of IR to set up a list like so:

03 enter
pause
07 enter
pause
27 enter
pause

but when I load this and press the "fav key" it doesn't work. Each press of the fav key pops a 0 on my screen, as if the fav key is mapped to the zero. I think my key configuration for the set top box is okay, but clearly the "fav" key does not launch the FAV function, how can I configure that?

I checked the doc for the extender (8811 v3.3) and also the docs for IR but can't find anything useful.

q.2 It would be nice if I can have another fav list for the kids, is there a way to set up multiple lists triggered by different fav keys?

thanks
Brian
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Scan/Fav list with 8811 extender 3.3 Reply with quote

friendlyfire wrote:
Each press of the fav key pops a 0 on my screen, as if the fav key is mapped to the zero.

Are you sure? Or do only the first two uses of fav do that and the third is a 2?

Maybe extender macros are too fast for your device.

It also maight help to post your .ir file in the diagnosis area and post URL here, so we don't need to guess or ask for losts of individual details that might affect the problem
friendlyfire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the IR file here.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2473

problem 1 is the FAV problem I describe above. I confirmed that each press is like the 0 key. three presses, three zeroes. I suspect this is a simple config problem.

problem 2 is tha tthe TV control commands in the macro are unreliable. They work about 90% of the time. I compared the protocol in the device upgrade versus the protocol of the stock code I used to use (with no problem) and they are the same. (I upgraded the device to get the discrete codes). Maybe the macro doesn't hold the command long enough for the TV? In the file I duped up the TV commands but I am not sure if it helped or not.

(if the batteries get low could this affect one device more than another? Should I try new batteries?)

Cable box is a DCT2224
TV is JVC AV32D201
Remote is the OFA8811B00

if somebody can take a peek and offer me some advice that would be great.

p.s. just noticed the backlight doesn't work. I think this is expected and I need to turn it on, will check out the docs tommorow.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TV macros unreliable:
Try adding this JVC protocol to IR. It permits you to tweek signal duration - edit the 4th byte from the end (#repeats)
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1364
An alternative is to extend the signal using Device combiner protocol.
I am assuming this TV upgrade really works for you and that you don't need a two-byte protocol. Because if you do, you might wish to see Capn Trips' solution in a file he posted here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4895

Search can help you - here are just some other related posts
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5213&highlight=jvc+dur%2A
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4573&highlight=jvc+dur%2A

Scan/Fav:
Only one list permitted. I wish we could do more Smile
Fav key is assigned to CBL, not TV. But I think that's OK because I think Fav key is global.
Signal duration might be playing a role here as well.

Uninvited comment: your discrete power commands for TV are on shift-vol buttons. When and if you will code VPT to the receiver, that might cause problems, so review your extender instructions about key sets.
friendlyfire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tips Liz.

I loaded this protocol and the TV doesn't respond at all now. I exteded the repeat to 6 but it didn't help. I looked at the postings you refered me to but I it looks like it will take some time to come up to speed on it all, this is my first JP 1 project and it takes a while to figure out the tools and semantics.

(by the way, there are some useful help files on the yahoo site that didn't nake it into the help file section here)

Isn't the FAV key supposed to be assigned to CBL? I want to remote to send a series of number plus enter commands to the cable box when the FAV key is pressed. Unfortunately it just acts like I am hitting the zero key. All other commands to the cable box are fine... Maybe I will just program the FAV key to use the build in favorites list that the cablebox stores rahter than the lR list.

VPT to the receiver works now, as you can see I just set the receiver as the volume device in every device select macro.. I think since I only access the shift vol keys from macros (preceded by a temporary device selection) this isn't an issue for me. I appreciate the observation!

thanks again for the help
Brian
friendlyfire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha, I figured out the problem. Had the wrong remote processor selected in Protocol Builder. I wasn't sure which one to use for my remote (OWA8811) but I tried the SC38+ (new) configuration and it seems to work. It will take a while before I know if it is rock solid or not.

UPDATE. It is still flakey
UPDATE2: NEW BATTERIES! Much better now. DUH!!!
Backlight works now too. Double DUH.

Brian

Last edited by friendlyfire on Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure which issue is still on the table. I think it might be CBL Fav, right? If so, your upgrade for CBL includes "Enter" key, but there is no such in the Fav mini-macros. Perhaps that's the problem? Or you need an EXPERT now.

I see your VPT. Sorry, I don't speak X-devices too well Wink , no 8811.
friendlyfire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liz,
the backlight and unreliable behavior problems are solved (BATTERIES!) , so I am still working on favorite list feature.

I thimk you want me to remove the enter key from the fav list, so I did changed it like so
pause
pause

and the behavior is still the same. Maybe I need an expert on the 3.3 extender for this remote to offer some advice?

thanks again for all the help
Brian
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friendlyfire wrote:
I thimk you want me to remove the enter key from the fav list, so I did changed it like so
pause
pause

No. I didn't see Enter in the fav list - here's what Summary says:
Code:
 SCAN ENTRY:
Device = CBL
#   Fav Keys
1   0;3;{Pause};0;5;{Pause}

I was suggesting to put'm in. BTW 3-digit numbers make sense, but I don't speak CBL either Very Happy
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While cooking for a hungry crowd, I just remembered something. On 8910, running Fav list on the Receiver I had to use temp device selection like this:
Code:
SCAN ENTRY:
Device = RCVR/AMP
#   Fav Keys
1   DEV_AUD;SHIFT-5;Dev_Cancel;{Pause};DEV_AUD;SHIFT-6;2;Dev_Cancel;{Pause};DEV_AUD;SHIFT-6;1;Dev_Cancel;{Pause};DEV_AUD;SHIFT-9;Dev_Cancel;{Pause}

It wouldn't work other ways. Maybe that's a clue. Your X_device is the same concept, I believe, as DEV command here.
friendlyfire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, not sure this explains why i get zeroes popping up after every press of the FAV key. I seem to be taling to the right unit...
at this point I decided just to remap the fav key to toggle the native favorite function of the cablle boc. I hope there are no gotchas!
friendlyfire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I have programmed a key to send the FAV command to the cable box, so now it uses it's internal fav list... works fine for the kids...

but it occurs to me that if I can get the FAV list created with IR working then I can have my own FAV list too!

but I can't get it to work, any more hints anyone? If the fav key is not remapped, the does it automatically trigger each line of the FAV list in sequence, sent to the device specified in the FAV list? (if it is supposed to do that then it doesn't work in my case)
whompus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think to get it to work the way you want you will need to set it like this.

SCAN ENTRY:
Device = CBL
# Fav Keys
DEV_CBL;0;0;3;Dev_Cancel;{Pause};DEV_CBL;0;0;5;Dev_Cancel;{Pause}

I am by no means an expert on extenders but worth a go.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whompus, that's what I was suggesting as well using a functioning receiver example, but we speak different lingo from 8811.
In 8811 it'll probably be something like this, and who knows if it would work .
Code:

SCAN ENTRY:
Device = CBL
#   Fav Keys
1   X_CBL;0;0;3;X_Cancel;{Pause};X_CBL;0;0;5;X_Cancel;{Pause}

but ,based on another thread, I don't think friendlyfire needs it anymore
whompus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh. So the 8811 uses X_ like the 6131.

I didn't know that. Good to know.

My 8811 is a learner only so never been extended.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: