JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cheapest off the shelf remote with macros??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Cheapest off the shelf remote with macros?? Reply with quote

By my own frugal nature Embarassed I am looking for ever more bang for my buck. So far the most powerful little remote I have found is the OFA URC6011/6017. I was surprised that right in the manual (thanks to my exposure to the knowlege base at these glorious JP1 sites and with a little imagination) it explains how to do keymoves and also manually add EFCs as well as macros to almost any key including shifted keys. Unfortunately it will not allow macros on the usual suspects. Even when shifted, the device keys seem to be inaccessible. I want to put the input/output setting on the device keys and am just about to experiment with the extender and a CRCU810 ($80 cdn).

Out of curiosity I attempted macro programming on the Big easy and one of the OFA 4 device remotes without any luck. ( I dont have the model #s with me) I now think that macro ability is a must before I can get my hopes up.

My long shot question is, does anyone know what else is out there off the shelf for this kind of money ($30 CDN, less than $80 Very Happy ) that has macros and might be able be persuaded to allow device key access?

Matthew
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheapest off the shelf remote with macros?? Reply with quote

MJ wrote:
My long shot question is, does anyone know what else is out there off the shelf for this kind of money ($30 CDN, less than $80 Very Happy ) that has macros and might be able be persuaded to allow device key access?

Most every current JP1-capable remote has macro capabilities, including macros on device buttons. Most of them, however, require JP1 to do it (macros can't be setup on device buttons from the remote itself).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are NO One For All or Radio Shack remotes that will let you program macros to the device buttons, without JP1.

The cheapest OFA remote that supports macros at all is the $15 URC-6012
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OFA-8810w has lots of buttons, is JP1-ready (has the 6-pin connector and the 2k eeprom) and has learning/macros. It also has several extenders already written for it. And the best part is that it is under $20 at wal-mart.

If price is no object, certainly there may be heated discussions about which remote is the best. Some like the 15-1994, others like the RCU810 or the Cinema-7's - everyone has a favorite. But as for value, I think everyone pretty much agrees that at less than $20, and with all its features, the 8810w is the winner of the best value contest.

The big question is do they have wal-marts in canada? (thats the only place to buy the 8810w)
JP1Files
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarification: 8810w is less than $20 US at wal-mart. I assume that you are from Canada because you mention $80 CDN and I am guessing CDN means Canadian I hope, otherwise I am looking very foolish right about now Embarassed
JP1Files
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, he did say 1. macros on device keys, AND 2. "off the shelf". #1 requires JP-1, and #2 leaves out the 6011 and 6012 (since they need pins and eeproms added to be Jp-1able). That narrows down the possibles. The cheapest then that meets BOTH qualifiers would be the 8810w or 8811(20-25.00US). Next would be the 2116/7 at 30.00 US, available at US Radio shacks. I don't think Canadian RS's carry any 15-xxxx remotes. I don't think Canada has Wal-marts, and if they do, they don't carry the 8810W. For a Canadian, he *might* be able to find the 8811. The 9960 or 9962 may be available in Canada, but it's way over his price criteria, and I'd suspect that the US 8910 may be also. His best bet may be an ebay seller who will ship to canada, or check the marketplace area in this forum who may ship to Canada. I understand the 8910's with the dumb donut ring are selling for around 20.00US now, and a vendor may ship to Canada.

I assume that 30CDN was a typo, and what you meant was 30.00US or approx. 80.00CDN.

Jim
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have the 6017 you might want to get an eeprom and pins from Rob and make it JP-1 able. With the extender loaded you could put macros on the device keys. That would be the cheapest route to go, if you already have a 6017. I'd guess Rob could send them for 6-7.00 Canadian, but that's just a guess, check with him for an actual quote.

Jim
MJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the thoughts Reply with quote

... and for the record, all prices I quoted were in CDN (loonies/dollars)

Wal Mart is alive and eating market share just up the street from me but they do not have the same models as "y'all" are accustomed to. Next time I cross over I'll take a look at one up close.

It may be of value to other Canucks out there to know that I found the comparable URC8910 for $55 cdn at the Hudsons Bay Company. It may make sense to visit our neighbours in the south sooner rather than later.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Matthew
keverets

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Walmart, Canada, and the 8811 Reply with quote

I was just in a Walmart in Ancaster, Ontario, and saw that they finally have the One For All 8811 (not the 8810w) for $29.95 Canadian. I kept checking at regular intervals, and previously all they had was an 8011. So, good news for people in Canada who want to get into JP1 on the cheap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: