JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

TELETEXT and FASTEXT functions in KM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StanleyB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: TELETEXT and FASTEXT functions in KM Reply with quote

I noticed that KM does not have the (European) teletext and fastext keys listed in the LAYOUT and KEYMAP sheets. Are there any ways of getting these added to those sheets if I could submit that information to our Sensei?
Or is there a modded EU sheet out there somewhere?

StanleyB
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those sheets are not generic. They are remote-specific. You probably need to list what remotes you are having trouble with, and then identify which "US-style" keys on those remotes are re-labeled with those "European" functions.

For example, if you select the European Kameleon, or Sky remotes, their unique functions appear, including "interactive" and "teletext" as appropriate.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the Capn said, those sheets are a reflection of the remote being programmed, so if for example you are programming a URC-8910 which doesn't have any teletext buttons, you won't see them listed in the Layout sheet.

Now, there's nothing stopping you from adding the teletext functions to the Functions sheet and then assigning them to the buttons of your choice.

Many of the European remotes that do support teletext functions do so by re-using other buttons, such as the transport buttons. So the REWIND button might double as the TEXT-ON button in TV mode. In situations like this, the button in question might just be listed as REWIND in KM and RM.
StanleyB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The teletext keys are indeed mapped against some other keys. That is the case with my URC-7562 for instance. However, it is a bit confusing for me to "remember" which VCR keys is the equivalent of which teletext function, so I'll have to have a butcher of this. Just didn't want to have to do it all over again when a next KM revision comes out. Ah well....
Now, about those protected fields in KM: if I do get past them, will any of my teletext additions cause any problems to any other part of KM in terms of operations? I don't want to loose the baby with the bath water you see...
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StanleyB wrote:
Now, about those protected fields in KM: if I do get past them, will any of my teletext additions cause any problems to any other part of KM in terms of operations? I don't want to loose the baby with the bath water you see...
You're on your own if you start messing with protected fields!!! Surprised

KM is a very intricate spreadsheet and the protected cells are protected for a reason... usually they contain a formula and/or something else is dependent on them.

The specific remote models KM supports are, to the best of my knowledge, reflective of the actual button names.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do that sort of messing around, you'd be better off working with RM because then all you would have to do is edit the RDF and your changes would survive the next RM revision.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StanleyB wrote:
The teletext keys are indeed mapped against some other keys. That is the case with my URC-7562 for instance. However, it is a bit confusing for me to "remember" which VCR keys is the equivalent of which teletext function, so I'll have to have a butcher of this.
I'm a little confused about what your problem is, then.

Your remote control (the 7562) DOES NOT have any buttons labelled "teletext" or "fastext" - correct? How will changing the name of a BUTTON in KM help you remember what button on the ACTUAL REMOTE you have mapped it to?

(IMHO) YOU DON'T WANT the button layout in any of the programs (KM, RM or IR) to reflect incorrect button names - you want what is ACTUALLY PRINTED on the remote. Otherwise, you will have a button (say "fast rewind") assigned the "teletext" function and have it mapped to a button labelled "teletext" in all of your software, but when you upload it to your remote, and next time you look at these files, how will you know what REAL PHYSICAL button it's on?

The tools are designed to permit precisely what you want, but seem to not want. The sheet you want to modify names on is the "Functions" sheet, NOT the "Buttons" or "Layout" sheets. Then the ACTUAL FUNCTION is displayed as mapped to the PHYSICAL BUTTON on the remote. And when you come back to look at it six months from now, it's all right there.

I hope this makes sense, as I feel I'm not explaining this very clearly.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
StanleyB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that tip Robman. I shall give RM a try as well. I am not worried about altring the formulas in excel, since I know how to avoid that from a previous life 8) .
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: