JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Remotemaster Java error ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Rockwell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Remotemaster Java error ? Reply with quote

I had a lot of trouble getting Java in this Windows XP box. So I can't say it is working correctly, of course.

But, when I open Remotemaster .rdf files I get a window "Java Virtual Machine Launcher". "Fatal exception occured. Program will exit."
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I installed Java, I had some trouble because I forgot to set the path. This link under option 5a tells you how to set your environment to add the appropriate directory to the path variable.

Once I did that, when I double clicked on setup.jar it created setup.reg. Once I clicked on setup.reg, it added the needed associations to the registry. To run RM I can either run rmaster.bat or just double click on any upgrade that remote master has created.
JP1Files
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Remotemaster Java error ? Reply with quote

Robert Rockwell wrote:
when I open Remotemaster .rdf files

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying here, but why are you trying to open RDF files? They should be transparent to the user (RM uses them internally when you select a given remote).
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDF's are just text files usually just written with "notepad". The "RDF" extension is just a JP-1 specific extension to differentiate them from other .txt files like KM or IR saves. RM saves use an RM specific extension, .rmdu So RM won't try to load any other .txt type file. The RM rdf's should be, or soon will be, all identical with those used by IR. If you want to look at an rdf, windows may ask the first time what program or application to use to open it, since windows doesn't have a clue what the ".rdf" extension means or is used for. When asked, just select from the menu windows displays a typical .txt application, like notepad. Once it has done that the first time, it won't ask again; double-clicking on the .rdf file will just then open in notepad like most other .txt files. RDF's aren't coded in Java, so I wouldn't know why you got that java error message, and crash.

Jim
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of thoughts here:

1) If you are starting RM then trying to open an RDF file with the FILE/OPEN command you should just get a "this is not an upgrade" type of message and no java error.

2) If you are starting RM and opening a new remote you should not get a java error.

So that leads to my questions:

1) Are you actually able to run RM by double clicking the RemoteMaster.jar executable?

2) When is the Java error occuring?

What is sounds like to me is that java is not properly installed so I would suggest you uninstall the java instance you have and try to install the one you can get from the http://java.sun.com/downloads/ link directly from Sun.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils_Ekberg wrote:
1) Are you actually able to run RM by double clicking the RemoteMaster.jar executable?
Nils,
I just recently installed and reinstalled the java SDK and the only way I can run the remotemaster.jar executable is by using the rmaster.bat file (which says java -jar remotemaster.jar). When I just doubleclick on remotemaster.jar it does not run - i get the error message:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: C:\JP1\RemoteMaster/jar
Initially I thought this was due to environment variable problems. I did not have a CLASSPATH set up, so I added one that points to
CLASSPATH=C:\j2sdk1.4.2_02\lib\tools.jar
but I still get the same error.

When I installed java it never modified my PATH variable either, I had to do this manually. Was this the same for you? (I added the c:\j2sdk1.4.2_02\bin to my path)
JP1Files
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I had the same problem but I had actually installed it long before Greg set up the "setup job". I thought that fixed it.

What I had to do was set up a file association in Explorer TOOLS/Folder options/File Types for .jar to execute javaw.exe in the Java/BIN folder. The nice part is you can also associate an icon you like with Java also.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils_Ekberg wrote:
What I had to do was set up a file association in Explorer TOOLS/Folder options/File Types for .jar to execute javaw.exe in the Java/BIN folder.
Nils,
Thank you very much, I am getting closer. Now when I double click on remotemaster.jar, a pop up box with the title "Java Virtual Machine Launcher" says "Could not find the main class. Program will exit". Any thoughts?

Nils_Ekberg wrote:
The nice part is you can also associate an icon you like with Java also.
This would be nice, but I did not see any options for this in the "Explorer TOOLS/Folder options/File Types" area. How do you do this?
JP1Files
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On part one that sounds wierd since RM would not run at all if class files were missing. It could be the same thing you mentioned earlier with the calsspath but I don't have a classpath variable set at all. I will have to dig a little.

On the icon part, once you select the jar extension you click on advanced then you get to change the icon. Remember, whatever icon you make it for .jar all java apps use the same icon
Robert Rockwell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. When I open the executable file I get a list of remote loader errors starting with "Java.lang.Array IndexOut ofBounds:0" . That is as far as I went. But, today I went further. I notice RM does open and another larger window of Remote loader errors pops up again starting with the above "out of bounds". But behind this window RM is there opened and I was able to change the remote from default AIWA to my 8910. Now I will see if I can use it.

By the way , the 8910 is actually up and running thanks to an IR txt file that Greg graciously made for me for direct IR upload for my two Directivo's codes. Thanks again all...
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils_Ekberg wrote:
..select the jar extension you click on advanced then you get to ...
Nils,
Everything works now, thank you! I have a suggestion for an improvement to the setup.jar executable. When I clicked the advanced button (in explorer folder options) for the .rmdu extension I noticed that under the "open" action the "-jar" command line switch was present, but under the .jar extension the file is opened without the -jar extention. The setup.jar creates the setup.reg file which creates the helpful associations with the .rmdu extension. However, the setup.reg does not modify the .jar extension to include the -jar command line switch, which is why remotemaster.jar could not be doubleclicked to start it.

Once I added the -jar extension to the "open" action under folder options, I can now start remotemaster.jar by double clicking on it. My first clue should have been that throughout all of this, rmaster.bat (which has the -jar switch) has always worked.
JP1Files
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rockwell wrote:
Thanks for the replies. When I open the executable file I get .. problems ..
Robert,
If you run "regedit" (from the windows start button click run) do you have an entry called RMDeviceUpgrade under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT?

If you do NOT have this entry, then try this:
1) Add the java folder to your path here under option 5A
2) open a dos box (start button, click run, type c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe)
3) type "cd c:\JP1" (or "cd c:\<wherever you installed RM>")
4) type "java -jar setup.jar" . if you get any error messages let us know.
5) if everything is working so far, type "setup.reg" and click "Yes" when it asks if it is ok to modify your registry.
6) at this point you can double click any file ending with .rmdu and it should open RM and load that file. If you also want to be able to run remotemaster.jar, do what I suggested in my note above by starting windows explorer, clicking on Tools, then click on File associations and follow what I suggested.

Why this is needed: after installing java and RM, you could just run remote master by clicking on rmaster.bat .. but if you want your system to associate .rmdu files with RM you have to run setup.jar. However, there is no .bat file to run setup.jar with the -jar command line switch, making it very hard to run this file for newbies (like me) who did not realize this switch was needed

The intuitive (but wrong) approach is to just double click setup.jar. This will quickly flash a black dos box on your screen in which there is an error message (because the -jar command line switch was not included), but you will not be able to read it as windows then closes the dos box so quickly you do not realize there even was an error. However, the file setup.reg is not created, so you know double-clicking setup.jar did not work.
JP1Files
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rockwell wrote:
Thanks for the replies. When I open the executable file I get a list of remote loader errors starting with "Java.lang.Array IndexOut ofBounds:0" . ..

Those error are typically generated if the RDF associated with the remote you are opening is bad. My guess is the first time you opened RM the RDF for the default remote was bad from an RM perspective. As long as you are on the current version 1.09 (as of today) of the RDF's you will not see that again unless you choose one of the two remotes I labeled as NG. These are incomplete RDF's that I don't have enough information on to create good RDF's and I suspect no one uses them anyway. Hey, maybe I should just remove them from the distribution and see if any one asks for them. Twisted Evil
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my feeling that any rdf that's incomplete, a starter, etc should stay in the "rdf" folder at yahoo untill such time as they are completed. Once "whole" you should be notified of that fact, and then do your thing with it, and include it in the appropriate distribution. Otherwise it'll be assumed that they are complete and IR/RM compliant becuse they are included in the distribution. Remaining in the rdf folder should raise a flag that they may be incomplete and use is "at your own risk".

Other opinions?

Jim
Robert Rockwell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[If you run "regedit" (from the windows start button click run) do you have an entry called RMDeviceUpgrade under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT)]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I have that and I also erased my RM and installed 1.77 and the java errors windows do not appear. Progress, thanks.[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: