JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Head Phone Jack on Sony STR-D990 Receiver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jag_Man653

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Head Phone Jack on Sony STR-D990 Receiver Reply with quote

For some time now the front panel head phone jack on this unit
has been a bit flaky. Any giggling of the cable will cause cutting
out on one or both channels. My guess is I could replace it if
(a) I can get the box open to get at it, and (b) the part is available at the local electronics store. Any surprising in store for my if I dip into this?

TIA

Ed
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personnaly have not seen a jack on one of these fail but it could happen. What is more likely is that it has come unsoldered from the little circuit board it is attached to. The Sony part number is 1-568-151-11 which subs to 1-568-151-31. It may or may not be available if someone still has one in stock (it has been discontinued). A standard jack could be wired in fairly easily since it is a simple jack with no internal switches needed.

EDIT: Sometimes I forget that some things I consider trivial can be a challenge to others.

To remove the cabinet: 2 screws on each side , one on the back. Lift the case straight up, do not tilt.

You might be able to examine the soldering at this point.

To remove the front panel (the bracket holding the jack cannot be reached until the front panel is moved out of the way):
Pull the speaker switch knob straight off then 3 screws from top, 3 from bottom. You should be able to remove the panel at this point. There are 2 flex harnesses that push into connectors, one the main board and one on the volume board. You can pull these straight out to allow the panel to move forward. The volume board can be tricky to get past the framework so you need to be carefull there. Note that the front panel includes the front feet so put a support under the unit or it will drop unexpectedly as you remove the panel.

The clip that holds the jack in place can be removed to release the jack now. If you replace the jack you will probably get one with a nut to hold it in place. Hopefully there will be clearance for it, otherwise you may have to bend the bracket a little or space the new jack with washers. You might be ble to do this without removing the flex cables and just pulling one side of the front panel forward, since it is a clip holding the jack assembly if you are carefull.

As long as you don't take the bottom cover plate off (and you unplug it) there is very little danger of a shock. Take the bottom off and the filters can weld a scredriver to the frame.
Jag_Man653

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod7501 wrote:
I personnaly have not seen a jack on one of these fail but it could happen. What is more likely is that it has come unsoldered from the little circuit board it is attached to. The Sony part number is 1-568-151-11 which subs to 1-568-151-31. It may or may not be available if someone still has one in stock (it has been discontinued). A standard jack could be wired in fairly easily since it is a simple jack with no internal switches needed.

Thanks for the the very helpful reply. I took the cover off to get some idea what the jack looked like, but couldn't see it well enough. I decided to try getting the correct part from Sony before removing the face plate.
Called Sony but they didn't have either of the numbers mentioned. They gave me the phone number of an LA distributor, who looked it up based on the set model number. They arrived at part number 1-568-515-21, which I have ordered. Since this is similar to the numbers you mentioned I am wondering if you perhaps made a typo?

Thanks again.

Ed
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I looked up the service bulletins and didn't use the incorrect number listed in the original manual. You should contact the distributor and have him check HFP308 (Hi Fi Service Bulletin #308) otherwise you will get a 27 pin circuit board connector. I have access to ESI (the distributor will know what that means) from my 25 years as an authorized Sony servicer.

I learned many years ago that before ordering parts to check all resources first. The ESI database is very usefull for things like this. If the distributor enters the 156851521 he should see that it is not the right part.
Jag_Man653

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod7501 wrote:
No, I looked up the service bulletins and didn't use the incorrect number listed in the original manual. You should contact the distributor and have him check HFP308 (Hi Fi Service Bulletin #308) otherwise you will get a 27 pin circuit board connector. I have access to ESI (the distributor will know what that means) from my 25 years as an authorized Sony servicer.

I learned many years ago that before ordering parts to check all resources first. The ESI database is very usefull for things like this. If the distributor enters the 156851521 he should see that it is not the right part.

Thanks again. I'll call and see if I can stop the order before it ships.
He did say it was 27 pin, and admitted that that sound strange.
Could it be that the part he sold me is the jack mounted of the little circuit board?

Ed
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only a few wires going to the jack board. Just enough for L, R, and Ground, nowhere near 27. Plus the full description is for a 27 pin push-in connector for a flat, mylar wiring harness. The original service manual probaby had the digits transposed (515 vs 151). Sometimes when they do that the number is nonsense, sometimes random. It just depends on which digits are swapped. 1-568-xxx-xx are probably all jacks of some sort. If they had swapped the 1-568 part around then you would have some completely different type of part (a bare circuit board or high voltage transformer).
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: