JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Apple iPod Remote
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Protocol Decodes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
remoteneeded

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Apple Universal Dock Reply with quote

Having trouble getting a protocol / upgrade together for my 8550 and an Apple Universal Dock

1. Device: Apple iPod Remote for Universal Dock
2. Type of device: Audio
3. Year: 2005
4. JP1 Remote model: 8550
5. JP1 user? Yep
6. Still have original remote? No
7. Checked the file section? Yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? Yes
9. Partially working setup code? No
10. Learning remote question? no

I decoded a CCF file from R/C and it came up with the following data:

Gap-552-1696-32? Device=238, Sub-Device=135, OBC=17, EFC=<blank> and Misc=EE.87.#.11

which is slightly different from the data in this thread:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5317

Gap-550-1687-32? Device=238, Sub-Device=135, OBC=67, EFC=<blank> and Misc=EE.87.#.43

Notice that the OBC value has changed. Does this mean there's two, incompatible Apple remotes out there? I've tried using both of these values but with no luck.

I'm using the protocol from the thread above, but changed to P8/740 generic with 'Use Assembled Protocol Code' unchecked, (this does the rewind / fast-forward function?). I've noticed that the red LED on the 8550 only does a quick flash, where as every with other device it stays on whilst a button is pressed. A clue?!

Thanks
Andy C / Remoteneeded
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That GAP info is just there to provide some small clues to the program's author as to the nature of the signal, it's not meant to be reliable enough to build upgrades from. When you come across an un-documented signal, you really do need to decode the signal manually (as I did earlier in this thread).

I used that info to create a new protocol for the iPod. I wrote it in the Samsung S3C8 assembler language which is what's used by most JP1 remotes. Your URC-8550 on the other hand, uses the Mitsubishi 740 processor and I've forgotten how to write in that assembler language. So, what you need here is for someone to come along and re-write the protocol, based on my S3C8 code, in the 740 language.

Last edited by The Robman on Wed May 25, 2011 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Apple Universal Dock Reply with quote

remoteneeded wrote:
I'm using the protocol from the thread above, but changed to P8/740 generic with 'Use Assembled Protocol Code' unchecked, (this does the rewind / fast-forward function?). I've noticed that the red LED on the 8550 only does a quick flash, where as every with other device it stays on whilst a button is pressed. A clue?!
Unchecking the 'Use Assembled Protocol Code' is the problem here. The PB file has custom code written for the S3C8-based remotes (look on the Assembler tab). As Rob just mentioned, in order to make this work, you'll need someone to write some P8/740 code. There are only a few of us around, and I'm at work at the moment, so I can't do it right now. I'll try to get to it later.
remoteneeded

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I had made the wrong assumption that I only needed to use the 'setup' page of Protocol Builder, and that the assembled code was just for getting the fast-forward & reverse to work. Am I right in saying that the setup page essentially writes the first few lines of code for you?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most cases, the main page of PB is all you need to create a working protocol, for all processor types, but on occassion you need to write some assembler to handle situations that the engine doesn't cover.

While it's true that assembler was used to handle the REWIND vs. SKIP BACK functions in the modified iPod protocol, it was also used to handle the basic signal too.
remoteneeded

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob.

I now understand why I wasn't getting very far Very Happy

Andy C / remoteneeded
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Andy, I have put together a first attempt at a protocol upgrade for the P8/740 remotes. Give this a try and let me know if it works or not. I'll post an updated PB file after we see if it works.

Code:
Upgrade protocol 0 = 01 FF (P8/740) Apple iPod Remote (PB v3.12)
 0D 18 31 80 14 E1 7E 15 08 08 03 21 01 AB 35 46
 55 06 C0 02 00 7E 9B 03 D0 A5 60 3C 01 83 13 03
 3C 11 83 1B A6 5F 86 60 85 5F 4C 00 FF
End

remoteneeded

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, you are a star!

I've just tried the protocol and I'm happy to say it works. The only thing that doesn't work is the simulated power off function. You can see the LED on the remote come on for a suitable amount of time, but it doesn't seem to be sending the play/pause command. I'll have a better look later and see if I can spot what's going on.

It's also worth noting that the device codes I got from R/C don't work, (238/135/17), but the one's from the previous JP1 thread work fine, (238/135/67).

Many, many thanks

Andy C / Remoteneeded
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remoteneeded wrote:
The only thing that doesn't work is the simulated power off function. You can see the LED on the remote come on for a suitable amount of time, but it doesn't seem to be sending the play/pause command. I'll have a better look later and see if I can spot what's going on.
I tested some of Mike's changes to the protocol for SC38 remotes this past weekend and discovered a timing problem that prevented the Power Off function from working. I tweaked the protocol code per Mike's instructions and got it to work. I think he was going to review the protocol code for the other processor types and make similar changes. Hopefully he'll post here when he's done that.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
    Upgrade protocol 0 = 01 FF (P8/740) Apple iPod Remote (PB v3.12)
    0D 18 31 80 14 E1 7E 15 08 08 03 21 01 AB 35 46
    55 06 C0 02 00 7E 9B 03 D0 A5 60 3C 01 83 13 03
    3C 11 83 1B A6 5F 86 60 85 5F 4C 00 FF
    End
I haven't had a chance to finish my changes yet (working today getting ready for CES Crying or Very sad ), but try changing the byte highlighted in red above to 12 or 13 and see if it helps. I'll post the updated PB & KM files as soon as I get a few moments free.
remoteneeded

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
try changing the byte highlighted in red above to 12 or 13 and see if it helps.

I tried changing the byte to both 12 and 13 and both work perfectly. Great stuff!

Andy C / Remoteneeded
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted new KM & PB files that support all the JP1 processor types.

Here's the KM file...
And here's the PB file...

The S3C8 protocol upgrade is now quite a bit smaller.
patters

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for this - works like a charm. I was surprised that the Menu button doesn't seem to do anything, then I read that it's for controlling iTunes on Apple computers.
todd_i

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use the "hold" functions, like hold down play/pause for power off, I just get the play/pause effect. It doesn't seem to be recognized as a held button.

Is there any way to control the duration, so it might be recognized?

I'm using this with a Mac Mini (same standard Apple Remote comes with the Mini). The application I'm using it with is the MythTV PVR frontend, and it mostly works.. just not the held keypresses.

Also, a question on the 'hold' functions. Is it just sending the same IR code for a longer duration, or is a different IR code sent for a hold command? I'm curious as to whether the other commands can be sent without the associated delay, or if that's the only way they function.
yesok

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Manual Settings protocol not working Reply with quote

Hello Binky,

Device upgrades work fine, but upgrade for iPod whose protocol is Manual Settings(01 FF) is not working. How to make this work?

Yesok
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Protocol Decodes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: