JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

9910 Onkyo TXSR600 help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, I believe an extender can help you do this. There may be easier ways (that I don't know about) that the experts can shed some light on.
JP1Files
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you can't define a keymove for Theater mode, because Home theater mode isn't really a device. It's like taking five different devices and combining them (Menu buttons go to the menu device, the transport keys go to the transport device). But for keys like L1-L4 that don't fit into a predefined category, Home Theater mode should use the last device selected. So here's how you could do it.

Define L1 - L4 as keymoves under the Tuner device:
Upload to IR

Press Tuner
Press Home Theater

Then the L1-L4 keys should do what you want.

The 8811 extender takes Home Theater mode a step further allowing you to define a different set of theater modes (with different transport, pip, menu, vol+, channel devices) for each physical device button. It also allows macros on the device keys, and removes lots of other restrictions.
PhantomOG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but then everytime i want to use those buttons in theater mode i have to select the tuner first? there must be a better way.

before i got the JP1 cable, i actually learned those keys from my original remote to the L1-L4 keys with home theater as the "device" and it worked. it didn't mater what device i had selected before, the L1-L4 keys worked the way i wanted in theater mode.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Rob can provide some better insight on this. Edmund, in the RC-OFA forum posted that he could learn to keys while in HT mode, but I think I recall the remote being a 2116/7. The 8910/9910 was released in about the same time frame. Maybe the 8910/9910 is more similar to the 2116/7 than we thought?

One difference between the 8910/9910and the 2116/7 is that the former has the 4 dedicated "L" keys, whereas the latter doesn't have any "dedicated "L" or "S" keys.

Didn't Rob change the 2116/7 RDF to reflect that the "My system" is more akin to a "device key" Than the older P-8's and the 2104? According to phantom's post, the 8910/9910 may be more similar to the 2116/7 and "HT" "mode" than the earlier "HT" remotes.

Rob-- Comments?

Jim
PhantomOG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no news on this?? guess i'll just have to learn to HT mode and be happy for now.
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomOG wrote:
but then everytime i want to use those buttons in theater mode i have to select the tuner first? there must be a better way.

No, as long as you press Tuner before you first enter theater mode, L1 through L4 should will be in Tuner mode. It's sticky -- Home Theater mode remembers the device you had selected prior to entering Theater mode and uses that for all commands not already handled by one of the five command groups. If you wanted to you could create a macro that contained the commands:

Tuner, Home Theater

You'd press that to go into Theater mode and that way the L1- L4 buttons would always point to the Tuner.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
Didn't Rob change the 2116/7 RDF to reflect that the "My system" is more akin to a "device key" Than the older P-8's and the 2104?

No, there was no change like that to the 2116 RDF. We were just discussing naming conventions used in the RDF's so that the display in IR and RM match what the user sees on the actual remote. Since RS chose to call it My System, that's what the RDF's now use.

AFAIK, the functionality of Home Theater or My System can't be changed by JP1, except when using an extender.

Last edited by Mark Pierson on Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

That's NOT what I was bringing up. At remote central Edmund brought up about being able to LEARN to keys while in "My system" on the 2116, or maybe it was HT on the 8910. Prior to that, it was believed that HT/MS wasn't a device mode like audio, TV, etc., and therefore you couldn't learn to any keys (even the L) while in HT/MS, only assign key groupings from various devices. In light of Edmund's "discovery" I thought Rob modified the original 2116(8910?) rdf to reflect that.
I'm not 100% sure if it was the 2116 or the 8910 that Edmund posted this about, except that it was one of them. That's where I was calling on Rob to clarify. If it WAS the 2116, apparantly according to phantom's post the 8910 is similar in this regard.

IF it was the 2116 that Edmund brought this up with, it doesn't have any dedicated "L" keys, so that would mean that he would have had to have been able to learn to at least SOME OTHER keys while in MS "mode", and apparantly those learned signals only work while in MS "mode" specifically, and apparantly NOT on the based devices for the groupings (ie. if transport keys are from "VCR", when changed to VCR mode by pressing the "VCR" device key, those learned signals no longer work (?). The problem was, exactly how this works wasn't explained, and I assumed that since Rob has a 2116, he verified what Edmund posted, although further insight wasn't expounded upon.

On the 8910, like the 1994, etc. the dedicated "L" or "S" keys are just extra function undefined keys we can learn to (or keymove to with IR) adding 4 buttons/functions for each device mode, untill the 1K memory is full.

Phantom Says he can learn the 4 "L" keys that are "HT" specific on his 8910. That goes contrary to what we thought/assumed about HT not being a "real" device mode.

What HASN'T also be clear is if this "feature" is true with ALL 8910's, or is more specific to the newer 8910's, since I'm not sure just which version Phantom has. If JUST the newer, then the newer 8910's are more similar to the 2116 than the old version of the 8910.

Apparantly Rob hasn't been following this thread, or I'd have hoped that he would have clarified whether I'm totally hallucinating edmund's post at RC, or just have the remote models mixed up. Rob did make a mention about Edmund's discovery either here or at the Yahoo group before we moved here. Am I the only one that remembers this?

"Postaholic Jim" Smile
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim,
Do we need to organize a PA meeting for you (Posters Anon)? Welcome to the 200+ club.

Just for the record, I've never used the HT button on any remote in my life, and personally, I don't see what good it is, but that's another story. So I'm certainly not an expert on HT button related matters.

However, you are correct that Edmund discovered that the HT mode is considered a real device mode as far as learned buttons are concerned and I did update the 15-2116 RDF to reflect this.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I did update the 15-2116 RDF to reflect this.

My apologies. I must've missed all that over at RC. Embarassed
PhantomOG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was done on a new 9910 (new meaning it has the new individual buttons for the arrow keys instead of the donut ring).[/quote]
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phantom,

If you don't mind, I know you said you could learn to the "L" keys while in HT mode. Have you, or could you, do a little test and see if you can learn to any of the "normal" function keys as well? And thanks for verifying just which 9910 you have.

Jim
PhantomOG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to test other keys tonight when I get home from work.
PhantomOG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I successfully learned to other keys while in Home Theater mode.

So now what? Does the .rdf file for the 9910/8910 need to be changed?
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomOG wrote:
I successfully learned to other keys while in Home Theater mode.

So now what? Does the .rdf file for the 9910/8910 need to be changed?

The simple answer is yes. You can just try to use db-08 as a device since that is the device that should act as the Home Theater button. You can verify that db-08 is the device by looking at the device the buttons learned to in IR. You can edit the RDF and change it if you want. If it works OK (it should) I can change it in the distribution just like we did with the 2116/2117
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: