JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

interface problems with a URC8811

View previous topic :: View next topic  
acmeman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: interface problems with a URC8811 Reply with quote

I am trying to experiment with IR.exe using an URC8811 remote, and I am having a problem making IR and the remote communicate. Below is a summary of what I have done so far. I am running out of things to try to make the software and the remote communicate.

1) I installed the latest IR.exe and the latest RDF on my PC running a Windows xp. I have administrative privileges on the system. I checked the parallel port setting to make sure it is 378 and matches IR settings(also I tried other settings) . In addition I have no devices connected to the parallel port.

2) I constructed a simple jp1 interface myself. The interface passes the PC/interface test. When I "Check Interface", without any remote connected to it, I get the error message remote is not responding. So I am assuming the interface passed the basic interface test and it is OK. Right?

3) When I connect the remote to the simple interface and try "Check Interface" or down load from remote I get the error no response from remote and the light (including LED) turns on and remains on, until I disconnect pin 1 and 2 of jp1. Also, after the two pins are disconnected the LED flashes 2 times. I get the same result no matte what transmission speed I use ( I tried various setting between 0-10000) and whatever options in IR I use.

4) When I hook the remote to the interface, while pins 1 and 2 of jp1 are disconnected to start with, and when I try to check interface or down load from remote, I still get the error message no response from remote. However, this time I notice the LED flashes 2 times immediately after I see the error message, without any other light. Also I tried various transmission speeds and various option settings in IR.

5) When I tried the experiments described in 3) and 4) by removing a single battery or reversing a battery, I still get no response from remote error. However there are no sign of any light.

6) When I tried the experiments described in 3) and 4) by replacing one battery with a battery place holder made out of Aluminum foil I get the same results as described in 3) and 4) respectively.

7) I tried the same experiments except #6 using old batteries and I am getting the same results. When I tried #6 using the old batteries I got the same error, but without seeing any light.

The remote is functional and was reset several times with 981 and 980 codes.

Now I am stuck and I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any help
uwereinert
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have build and tested the interface for properly working (w/o PC or remote), I have no idea. Could it be, that you have connected the JP1-plug in the wrong way? Try turning for 180 degrees.

Uwe
acmeman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uwereinert wrote:
If you have build and tested the interface for properly working (w/o PC or remote), I have no idea. Could it be, that you have connected the JP1-plug in the wrong way? Try turning for 180 degrees.

Uwe

When I turn by 180 degrees, I get the error no response from interface.
acmeman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Followup question? Reply with quote

When checking the simple interface with IR.exe, what is the expected message for successful check? Is it "The remote interface check succeeded",
or is it " No response from Remote. Make sure your Interface is plugged into JP1 Properly".

My understanding is either message indicates that the basic interface test is OK.

If my understanding is OK, then what is the difference between the two messages. I consistently get the second message, except once I got the
first message. I am not sure what are the circumstances I should have to get the first message.
Jag_Man653

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Followup question? Reply with quote

acmeman wrote:
When checking the simple interface with IR.exe, what is the expected message for successful check? Is it "The remote interface check succeeded",
or is it " No response from Remote. Make sure your Interface is plugged into JP1 Properly".

My understanding is either message indicates that the basic interface test is OK.

If my understanding is OK, then what is the difference between the two messages. I consistently get the second message, except once I got the
first message. I am not sure what are the circumstances I should have to get the first message.

Just wanted to say I am having about the same problem with a simple interface (parallel) that I purchased fully assembled. I get only the "No response from the interface" no matter what I do on my machine that runs XP Pro. It works fine on an older machine ruining ME. I have come to the point where I believe the parallel interface hardware/software
are not robust enough to work reliably on a wide range of machines.
Maybe the USB interface is better? Who knows.
greenough1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run IR successfully on 2 different laptops. one runs xp pro, the other runs 2000. Aside for some initial configuration problems, it has worked as expected. I used a cable I bought from surfremote.com. Not sure who actually makes their cables.

jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: