JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need code Cyberhome DVR-1500
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried (obviously failed) to resist jumping into the "bad question" aspect of this thread: A few comments:

I don't see anything wrong with "I know how to do this, but first I'll ask if someone else did already that can save me the trouble". I've asked such questions in JP1 a couple times myself for my own home devices. Since it is hard to distinguish such questions from the totally lazy "please do it all for me" messages we also get, it helps to be a little clearer about what you want and why.

I've also failed a few time to post upgrades I've built and should have posted. I suspect the majority of useful upgrades don't get posted. (Sometimes it's hard to tell if your version is different enough from a previous one to be worth the confusion of an extra choice. Sometimes you think your device is so obscure no one else will ever want it. Usually *I* plan to make a few minor changes before uploading and never get around to it). So I really disagree with Jim's item 2. If I notice a post for an upgrade I should have uploaded but didn't, I'll probably respond.

I hope Mark's comment is wrong in implying (if I read it right) that people won't be silently finding and using your upgrade. We get virtually no feedback in the cases where someone simply finds what they want and uses it, so we don't really know. Clearly Mark is literally right that some fraction of those looking for your upgrade will just post a question rather than look. But I hope that's the exception rather than the rule. Given the search I did earlier, I'm pretty sure few if any people are ahead of you in using a universal remote for that particular code set. But maybe that's just because the device is fairly new and you've just saved a whole lot of later users from the effort you went through.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
I hope Mark's comment is wrong in implying (if I read it right) that people won't be silently finding and using your upgrade. We get virtually no feedback in the cases where someone simply finds what they want and uses it, so we don't really know.

That comment was simply my warped sense of humor. Wink

Obviously, people do find things on their own, and we never hear about it. My comment was aimed at those who don't bother to look first.

Quote:
Clearly Mark is literally right that some fraction of those looking for your upgrade will just post a question rather than look. But I hope that's the exception rather than the rule.

I believe (always the optimist) these are exceptions. John hit the nail on the head when he said "it helps to be a little clearer about what you want and why". If we're not told the details, we need to make several assumptions since this is a JP1 forum.

tradcli wrote:
Some of us idiots who ask the question do so out of ignorance, not laziness.

It might not even be ignorance in many cases. There's a wealth of information contained in all the posts here (and at the old Yahoo site), as well as numerous tidbits buried in the files sections. In a perfect world, everyone coming into JP1 would read all of these details and know the score ahead of time. Of course, we all know how the real world works! Wink

It all comes down to working from the information we see in the initial messages themselves. Ultimately, what we need is a nice online form for people to fill out when requesting codes. Many of the "assumptions" we make can be filtered out, pointing users to the answers themselves.

I can't speak for the other regulars around here, but having come here daily (and several times a day at that!) for the past 2 years (boy, I really need to get a life!), I can almost sense when someone hasn't done their homework. What's scarier is that I can usually tell when Rob will jump in on those messages (like happend here). Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: