JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

USB driver install failure not solved (Long)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robjective

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: USB driver install failure not solved (Long) Reply with quote

I'm on my 3rd JP1 cable and I still can't connect. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Background -- the first one was a USB kit from one of the vendors here. I assembled it, it didn't work. He tried to help me troubleshoot it, but we couldn't figure it out. He generously offered to send me another cable at 1/2 off, suggesting the parallel cable because of the USB problems. That's good service considering it very well could have been my amateur soldering. I couldn't get the parallel to work either.

So I tried getting an already assembled USB cable from another vendor, and it also doesn't work.

Problem -- this is not a problem with a single computer. It has manifest itself on a home Dell desktop XP/SP2, an HP laptop XPMCE/SP2, a work Dell desktop XP/SP2, and a work laptop XP/SP2. With the USB cables, I plug it in and the hardware wizard starts. It is recognized as a USB IO Controller. I give it the location for the drivers. It thinks for a minute, then the install fails because "the wizard cannot find the necessary software." I've tried other USB ports, and even tried plugging into a aftermarket USB PCI card in my tower. All computers always the same error.

To eliminate the possibility of driver download corruption, I have downloaded the files from at least 3 independent locations, and they all MD5 the same, so it's not a problem with corruption.

I won't go into the parallel cable because I'd much rather use the USB anyway, but I tried changing the address, even though device manager said I was using the default 378 address.

I've done google search, forum search, FAQ searches, read install docs, read Delcomm docs...nowhere have I found a problem that sounds like mine. And maybe by this point, you are saying "Hmmm, sounds like it's two bad cables"....except.........I plugged both USB cables into my girlfriends computer (Dell XPHome/SP1) and both cables made it through the driver install process!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's getting SP2 next weekend, so I guess I'll know then if it's SP2 that's screwing things up.

Does anyone have any suggestions or troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks
TiBireus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: USB driver installation failure Reply with quote

I'm having the same problems with my USB. Using IR.exe I first noticed that the USB interface was not available. After downloading from multiple locations, installation seemingly going well would cause computer shut down shortly before driver installation completed. I am on Dell Dektop XP SP1. Any suggestions. ensured admin rights and even removed check for non tested software.
TiBireus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Solved - USB Installation Failure Dell XP Reply with quote

Made some small changes. Tried install and work.
First go to Control Panel/System
In System Properties click Hardware tab
Click Driver Signing and choose ignore - may not be real issue but saves a step during install

Next and most important, be sure to use a USB main port rather than keyboard extended USB port or any other extended port.

Make sure remote is connected first and then plug into puter.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Solved - USB Installation Failure Dell XP Reply with quote

TiBireus wrote:
Next and most important, be sure to use a USB main port rather than keyboard extended USB port or any other extended port. .

Why?
TiBireus wrote:

Why?

I've seen this sort of advice for something else and perhaps someone can explain here better, thanks in advance.
Jag_Man653

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robjective,

I was unable to get the parallel cable to work on one of my computers,
although it worked fine on another one. I then ordered a fully assembled USB cable from www.diygadget.com. After downloading and installing the driver from

http://www.diygadget.com/jp1/download/JP1.zip

it worked fine. To install the driver I unzipped it in the directory where I keep IR.exe. The unzipping process installed the 3 files:

USBIODS.inf
USBIODS.sys
USBIODSR.TXT

in a subdirectory of my IR directory. After doing this, when Windows recognized the new USB device connected I was able to Browse to the above subdirectory and the installation completed normally. Then IR recognized the USB interforce and everything went OK.

BTW, none of this was clear to me when the USB cable arrived. There was nothing in the package except the cable. Ditto when I got theparallel cable from a different vendor. I think the vendors of these things should package some kind of instruction sheet with the product.

Ed
prelude
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jag_Man653 wrote:
Robjective,

BTW, none of this was clear to me when the USB cable arrived. There was nothing in the package except the cable. Ditto when I got theparallel cable from a different vendor. I think the vendors of these things should package some kind of instruction sheet with the product.

Ed

Hi, I run diygadget.com Wink

Regarding the instructions, I think I have to make it bold and probably an image moving around it Smile There is a link to the instructions In the description of the USB cable. Not sure why you have missed it Smile

Anyways, for people who do not know, my website has lots of instructions with images:

Instructions on how to build a simple interface with our simple interface kit (JP1-P01)

Instructions on how to connect the simple JP1 cable to your computer (JP1-P02)

Instructions on how to build a USB interface with our USB interface kit (JP1-U01)

Instructions on how to connect the USB cable to your computer (JP1-U02)

Thanks
prelude
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: USB driver install failure not solved (Long) Reply with quote

robjective wrote:
I'm on my 3rd JP1 cable and I still can't connect. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Background -- the first one was a USB kit from one of the vendors here. I assembled it, it didn't work. He tried to help me troubleshoot it, but we couldn't figure it out. He generously offered to send me another cable at 1/2 off, suggesting the parallel cable because of the USB problems. That's good service considering it very well could have been my amateur soldering. I couldn't get the parallel to work either.

So I tried getting an already assembled USB cable from another vendor, and it also doesn't work.

Problem -- this is not a problem with a single computer. It has manifest itself on a home Dell desktop XP/SP2, an HP laptop XPMCE/SP2, a work Dell desktop XP/SP2, and a work laptop XP/SP2. With the USB cables, I plug it in and the hardware wizard starts. It is recognized as a USB IO Controller. I give it the location for the drivers. It thinks for a minute, then the install fails because "the wizard cannot find the necessary software." I've tried other USB ports, and even tried plugging into a aftermarket USB PCI card in my tower. All computers always the same error.

To eliminate the possibility of driver download corruption, I have downloaded the files from at least 3 independent locations, and they all MD5 the same, so it's not a problem with corruption.

I won't go into the parallel cable because I'd much rather use the USB anyway, but I tried changing the address, even though device manager said I was using the default 378 address.

I've done google search, forum search, FAQ searches, read install docs, read Delcomm docs...nowhere have I found a problem that sounds like mine. And maybe by this point, you are saying "Hmmm, sounds like it's two bad cables"....except.........I plugged both USB cables into my girlfriends computer (Dell XPHome/SP1) and both cables made it through the driver install process!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's getting SP2 next weekend, so I guess I'll know then if it's SP2 that's screwing things up.

Does anyone have any suggestions or troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks

It might be caused by SP2. I have heard that some drivers/apps will not run in SP2, that is why my company has asked us to not update to SP2.
Jag_Man653

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prelude wrote:

Hi, I run diygadget.com Wink

Regarding the instructions, I think I have to make it bold and probably an image moving around it Smile There is a link to the instructions In the description of the USB cable. Not sure why you have missed it Smile

I guess I was hoping of a some paper along with the hardware. Nothing elaborate. In fact, it could be just about what you have just written here! I have no problem with getting the stuff off the Web, but would like to do so as quickly as possible and vendor home pages can be a jungle these days.

Ed
TiBireus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Solved - USB Installation Failure Dell XP Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
TiBireus wrote:
Next and most important, be sure to use a USB main port rather than keyboard extended USB port or any other extended port. .

Why?

I have had issues in the past which seemed to root from the difference between low-speed and high speed cables. The answer I recieved from Dell when having this problem with a joystick was "Plugging a high-speed device into a low-speed cable can cause signal distortion over long distances". My interpretation was use a direct port rather than a port that is part of a tree like the keyboard.

ElizabethD wrote:
TiBireus wrote:

Why?

Not sure. Wanted to give exact details and procedures of how installed differently than many attempts that did not work.
I've seen this sort of advice for something else and perhaps someone can explain here better, thanks in advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: