JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Xantech upgrade, Keymaster/Remotemaster output doesn't match

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Xantech upgrade, Keymaster/Remotemaster output doesn't match Reply with quote

I'm trying to create an upgrade for a Xantech IR controlled relay box, the CC12. I don't have a remote to learn from for this device.

I've tried this both in Remotemaster 0.75 and Keymap master 8.0. Niether work, but strangly, each one has a different output.

I found two sources of information and they both agree that the device is using Protocol NEC1, and NEC1 device code 150. The OBC's I'm interested in mapping are 1, 20, 2, and 3.

I used RM and configured a CD device #0000 as NEC1 with the correct device number and OBC codes. RM produces Both Protocol code and Device upgrade code. KM just produces a device upgrade code.

Shouldn't they both produce the same result?

Also, any chance anyone out there has a Xantech 68+ remote they learn some codes from for me?

Thanks,

-rob
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What remote model did you have KM and RM set to?
usblipitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at Xantech RC68.txt. I am just a newbie, but perhaps this file may help you (I hope). If not, there are plenty of experts here who I am sure can help you!

Good Luck!
JP1Files
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
Take a look at Xantech RC68.txt.

Note that the Xantech file is NOT an upgrade. It's a simple text file showing the Xantech commands and other misc info to be used in creating an upgrade.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found eight RTI-TT cml files for a CC12, CC12/1 ... CC12/7 that I decoded with John Fine's cml2efc/decodeIR.dll and it looks like all use NEC1:6 (device=6).

For CC12:

OBC=001 is Pair Off, OBC=020 is Pair On, OBC=002 is Toggle and OBC=003 is MMT

So, my guess is that you really want NEC1, device =6.

The NEC1 protocol is undoubtedly in every OFA remote so ignore the protocol upgrade. The device upgrades SHOULD be the same.

Let me know if you want the other codes or a further explanation.
robw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a 2104 and both KM and RM are set for 2104.

I used the Xantech RC68.txt file as a guide to create the RM upgrade. The Xantech device is factor preset to "Xantech code group" number 50. According to the RC68.txt file, this corrisponds to NEC1 device 150.

Jon,
the OBC codes you found match what I found in a ccf file and what's in the rc68.txt file so that is a tripple confirmation on those. The NEC device of 6 is new to me. I just tried device 6, but still no joy.

I did notice that when I paste in my upgrade device the type seems to switch to VCR/DVD instead of what I selected CD/Audio. I switch it back before hitting OK. I don't know if that matters.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Xantech upgrade, Keymaster/Remotemaster output doesn't m Reply with quote

robw wrote:
RM produces Both Protocol code and Device upgrade code. KM just produces a device upgrade code.

Sounds like you are using an old version of the 2104 RDF file, which is missing the [Protocols] section. This is the section that tells RM what protocols are built into the remote. So RM thinks that NEC1 is not built in, and therefore tells you that a protocol upgrade is required.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
robw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Xantech upgrade, Keymaster/Remotemaster output doesn't m Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
robw wrote:
RM produces Both Protocol code and Device upgrade code. KM just produces a device upgrade code.

Sounds like you are using an old version of the 2104 RDF file, which is missing the [Protocols] section. This is the section that tells RM what protocols are built into the remote. So RM thinks that NEC1 is not built in, and therefore tells you that a protocol upgrade is required.

Thanks Greg. I've upgraded to the latest RM and used the correct RDF files. That's solved the protocol upgrade issue. It also fixed the problem where I would specify in RM a specific device type and then IR would default to a different one when I tried the device upgrade.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

I am pretty sure that "Xantech code group" number 50 is device=6.

The Xantech website is down, but when I looked early this morning the RC 68 remote has two selector dials that are each 0 to F. I haven't decoded the relationship exactly but it seems to exist. I think I remember reading that there were 55 possible group codes, but that doesn't make much sense to me at the moment.

Barry Gordon wrote a hex generator, GenIRDB, that has a protocol and device file for the Xantech (and I know Barry has a lot of Xantech equipment) that can generate commands very simialr to NEC1 and you input the group codes seperated by a forward slash. Entering 5/0 gives you Pronto hex that decodes to NEC1:6. I also found another file in one of the professional installer groups that was for 50 that decoded to NEC1:6. There were several other files there that were exactly the same device number as GenIRDB would generate.

Here is a cross reference that I believe is correct. I am not sure all of these are valid "Xantech code groups" but it may help someone else, like John Fine or Rob Crowe see the relationship.
Code NEC1, Device=
00 000
80 001
10 002
90 003
40 004
C0 005
50 006
D0 007
20 008
30 010
B0 011
60 012
E0 013
70 014
F0 015
08 016
88 017
18 018
98 019
48 020
C8 021
58 022
D8 023
28 024
A8 025
38 026
B8 027
68 028
E8 029
78 030
F8 031
81 065
F1 079
FB 127
FE 191
55 198
5F 246
FF 255
robw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

Jon and everybody,
Thanks for the help. I got it working. I think I had several problems. I bought the device off ebay, so it is possible that the IR code was changed from the default so that might have been the start of the problem. I also was stuck focused on that 150 device code from the RC68.txt doc file. How do we change that file, or at least add the info that Jon posted above?

What I eventually did was use the Xantech code FF (NEC1:255) to assign a new Xantech code group to the CC12. I assigned code group 0 by sending an OBC of 00. The device then started to respond to commands of type NEC1, device 0.

So my $30 steal from ebay ended up costing a bit more in time, but I learned enough about RM that I'll be able to move my learned IR codes out and start playing with the extenders.

I was doing all this to make an IR "switch" so that I could turn on and off IR emitters to control two RCA devices that share the same IR codes.

Thanks again,
-Rob
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon_armstrong wrote:

Here is a cross reference that I believe is correct. I am not sure all of these are valid "Xantech code groups" but it may help someone else, like John Fine or Rob Crowe see the relationship.

I remember some other thread in which it was established that Xantech code groups are just the 8-bit number with the bits in a strange sequence. Your list obscures that a little by puting the code group in decimal rather than hex, but I think it fits:

00 000
That shows none of the bits are inverted.

80 001
bit7 -> bit0

10 002
bit4 -> bit1

40 004
bit6 -> bit2

20 008
bit5 -> bit3

08 016
bit3 -> bit4

81 065
bit0 -> bit6 (since we already know bit7 -> bit0)

55 198
bit2 -> bit7 (since we already know bits0,4,6 -> bits6,1,2

FF 255
bit1 -> bit5 (because all the rest are accounted for)

I checked several of the others that you posted and didn't see any inconsistent. I hope I didn't miss anything.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I built a spreadsheet to verify and as expected you are correct. Your explanation was very clear and elegant in its simplicity. I learned a lot from your approach and I would hate to admit how much time I spent on this looking for something more complicated.

Rob, ironically only three of those NEC1 device codes were wrong from RC68.txt :

50 NEC1:6 not 150
C0 NEC1:5 not 144
D0 NEC1:7 not 151

Steve, I couldn't find where that link came from but we should probably contact them to correct it. I can also send a spreadsheat that can calculate any combination based on John's analysis.

Rob, the best thing from here would be to collect the pertinent information and zip it and post under JP1|Files|device Codes|Misc in the Yahoo group.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: