JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Newbie/Idiot. Mind baby stepping me through JP1 for RS2116?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDetermination

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Newbie/Idiot. Mind baby stepping me through JP1 for RS2116? Reply with quote

I've got IR600 and it uploads fine. I downloaded a VPT update just fine. That works. So I know the software/cable/remote are talking.

I'm an average joe with a knack for woodworking, nutrition and gaming. I can handle hardware, Windows and driver updates just fine. When we get in to programming and hex and stuff I start to get confused though.

I've read through some of the intro stuff and it mostly makes my head esplode. Gonna need a kick start from you guys.

I've read that stuff and I still don't understand simple stuff like...
-What the heck does "Shift" do?
-When IR says "Bound" key is that what we're binding stuff to?
-If so then how do you tell the remote which function you want to bind stuff for that key under? Like, if I'm binding something to Power how do I tell it I want to bind something to Power under DVD?

Anyway, all I want to do for now is:

1) For my Xbox (which is mapped to DVD and working) now I can turn the IR modded Xbox on with "Select" and off with "0". It has a 5 second on/off delay. So I would like to have a little macro on the DVD's "Power" button that hit Select/0 one right after another. This way if it is on it should turn off and if it is off it should turn on.

2) I'd like to have an everything "on" macro that turns on the reciever, Xbox and TV. My Marantz amp will only come out of standby if you hit a source and only go in to standby if you hit standby (no remote power option). I figure this means I can't have just one on/off macro since the standby/source thing doesn't have a delay (if you hit standby then CD it comes right back on.

So, for on, I want it to say: TV, Power, Audio, Source = CD, DVD, Select (and to get fancy here I'd like a delay of 10 seconds for Xbox flubber and then to "select" again so it goes in to XBMC).

2b) I need an off macro to say: TV, Power, DVD, 0, Audio, Standby

3) Get it back to where any button turns the back light on! For some reason the VPT update mucking around I did killed my backlight and I *ALWAYS* need the backlight in the room where this remote will be used. So I want *EVERY* button press to turn the light on like the remote did from the factory. How do I get that back? How did I kill it?

4) Move some buttons around. The command is in there and I just want to reassign it to another key. How do I know what maps to what?

Questions:

1) Easiest way to learn to do that much?
2) Should I have those macros on a device I am not using like say macro 1 is actually VCR (unused) play and VCR stop turns everything off? Is there a better way? Like I read something about holding buttons down for 5 seconds to activate a macro?
3) If I want to move DVD # key "8" to DVD # key 2 how do I know this is where the "8" key is now and this is the "code" for whats under that key. Then how do I know where to move it to?
4) Cool stuff I'm missing only doing that much?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this, then come back with questions about whatever still isn't clear:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/

If you're so green that you need help understanding the non-JP1 basics too, try reading the following FAQ (but be aware that it's quite old and was written long before JP1 was invented). Your "shift" question is answered in item 1.16.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/faq.shtml
MrDetermination

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my remote programmed with all the buttons I want to use for now. Just some of them are in different places than I want them and I want to automate some sequences.

For now:

1) How do I get files to use with either KM or RM out of my remote so I can see what commands are associated with those keys so I can start remapping them?

2) How do I make the back light come up with any key press?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDetermination wrote:
1) How do I get files to use with either KM or RM out of my remote so I can see what commands are associated with those keys so I can start remapping them?

You don't, IR.exe would need to be able to read the ROM to do that, whereas all it's doing is reading the EEPROM. What you need to do is look in the file section to see if we already have upgrade files for your devices (as we probably do). If you have any devices for which we don't have upgrade files, here's your chance to contribute by making an upgrade file for us (read the help doc in my previous post to see how).

MrDetermination wrote:
2) How do I make the back light come up with any key press?

Doesn't it already?
MrDetermination

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, thats what I'm saying. I lost the backlight to any keypress the first time I uploaded anything (VPT) to the remote.
MrDetermination

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I'm losing it. I have all the keys I need already in the remote... the signals are there. All the signals come from the book, and they all work.

Marantz SR-52 = 1089
Xbox = 0522
Samsung TV = 60

http://www.mrdetermination.com/jp1/x.ir

I just want to

-move DVD Power to DVD PIP
-make macro that tells DVD Power to actually send current DVD Select DVD 0
-get any keypress to activate back light

Thats all.

So do I need to create an upgrade file for codes that are already in there?
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDetermination wrote:

First: you can do it in KM by assigning the Power function to the PIP button. You can do it in IR by filling in Bound device=DVD, Bound key=PIP, Device type=DVD, DVD's setup code, and the hex number of the power command.

Second: if you want two actions, this calls for a Device Specific macro. But I think you want just one. So, as above, assign the DVD 0 hex number and all the other stuff to the Power button. Unless I am misunderstanding your question.

Third: No idea. It should do it by itself, shouldn't it? I think it's a hardware issue.

I just looked at your file. I don't see any devices or protocols. You have several devices mapped on the general tab, but you need to bring in your data from KM or RM first. Or download from the remote into IR whatever upgrades are already there. You can't do anything I just wrote till there is something for IR to manipulate. Have you read the stikies up top the Beginners forum where learning materials such as How easy it is are?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDetermination wrote:

You don't need JP1 to do that, you can do it on the remote itself...
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-one4all/thread.cgi?2448,1#3

MrDetermination wrote:

What does "current" mean in this context? As you may already know, macros are global (ie, they run in all modes, not just DVD, etc), so to make a macro that only runs in DVD mode, you'll need to use the DSM (Device Specific Macro) special protocol.

MrDetermination wrote:

Forgive me if you already know this, but here's a quick refresher on how the backlight function works...

After a reset or an upload, the backlight "function" will be turned off. The turn it back on you press the LIGHT button. This will also turn the backlight on for a few seconds. While the backlight "function" is on (even if the backlight itself is off) pressing any button will turn the backlight on again.

If you press the LIGHT button while the backlight "function" is on (even though the backlight itself is off), this will turn the backlight "function" off.

I'm trying to illustrate the difference between the backlight itself and the backlight "function". Tell me if that makes sense.
MrDetermination

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, backlight issue fixed. Manual DOES NOT explain it the way you just did Robman. Thanks.

You guys are really killing me Smile ... maybe I'm just not being clear with my question so I'm going to be VERY clear about my goal first... then re-ask/reply to your posts.

Second, to clarify, device code 0522's "Power" button is actually Xbox remote's "Display" function... and I want to retain that, but remap it to PIP.

My after market Power mod for the Xbox (Xboxen do not have a need for Power via remote natively but if you mod them to use as an HTPC, it comes in handy) allows me to turn on the Xbox through use of the "Select" key and off by pressing the "0" key. I drilled a hole in the Xbox and put a new IR reciever there with a little chip behind it that tells the sensor to die for 5 seconds before accepting a new signal. So a macro that says "DVD:Select, DVD:0" will turn the Xbox on or off, whichever it is not at the time. I want to remap DVD:Power to make room for this new function and then, I think, assign a Device Specific Macro to the Power ky under DVD.

See, the commands are in there under existing device codes.

ElizabethD wrote:
MrDetermination wrote:

First: you can do it in KM by assigning the Power function to the PIP button. You can do it in IR by filling in Bound device=DVD, Bound key=PIP, Device type=DVD, DVD's setup code, and the hex number of the power command.

Same question remains...
How do I get the default code "0522"'s keys in to KM? And/OR how do I find the hex number for the Power command on device DVD?

The Robman wrote:
MrDetermination wrote:

You don't need JP1 to do that, you can do it on the remote itself...
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-one4all/thread.cgi?2448,1#3

Doesn't work! First thing I tried. After you see "From Key" and press "Power" it says "Invalid". Game Over

The Robman wrote:

What does "current" mean in this context? As you may already know, macros are global (ie, they run in all modes, not just DVD, etc), so to make a macro that only runs in DVD mode, you'll need to use the DSM (Device Specific Macro) special protocol.

Current = Existing

And, okay, I need to use a DSM... but first I need to be able to tell it what is assigned to DVD:Select and DVD:0, no?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDetermination wrote:
Same question remains...
How do I get the default code "0522"'s keys in to KM?

You don't, IR.exe would need to be able to read the ROM to do that, whereas all it's doing is reading the EEPROM. What you need to do is look in the file section to see if we already have upgrade files for your devices (as we probably do). If you have any devices for which we don't have upgrade files, here's your chance to contribute by making an upgrade file for us (read the help doc in my previous post to see how).

MrDetermination wrote:
Doesn't work! First thing I tried. After you see "From Key" and press "Power" it says "Invalid". Game Over

Most of us have been using JP1 for so long that we forget what works and what doesn't without JP1. The EFC assigned to the POWER button is 099, you can program a regular keymove using that EFC, either on the remote itself or thru IR.exe

MrDetermination wrote:
And, okay, I need to use a DSM... but first I need to be able to tell it what is assigned to DVD:Select and DVD:0, no?

Nope, a macro is just a series a key pushes, the macro itself doesn't care what each of the buttons actually does, nor what EFCs are assigned to them.
classicsat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do what I did, which is set up a macro to shift-power (which in my case is a macro which does TV>Power>RCVR>Power).

As for finding the hex codes for DVD-522. you need to either learn your originl remote, or look for an upgrade, just to get the code from.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classicsat wrote:
As for finding the hex codes for DVD-522. you need to either learn your originl remote, or look for an upgrade, just to get the code from.

Or read the post immediately before yours! Smile
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What the Heck is "Shift?"
http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/faq.shtml#1.16

Wow... at least six years with a Cinema 6 and I never knew that the "setup" button doubled as a <shift> button.

That's not in the manual.

Thanks,
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bevhoward wrote:
That's not in the manual.

If everything was in the manual, I would never have started this web site and JP1 might never have been born! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: