JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Attempted my first upgrade. Utter failure. Extremely sad.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skillethome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Attempted my first upgrade. Utter failure. Extremely sad. Reply with quote

I have a URC 6131. I've read JP1 for Beginners.

I'm trying to install this upgrade: Pioneer VSX-1014TX Receiver

At the top in Keymap Master, it says: "Enter 4 Device Codes. Use '1', '2', '3' or '4' as 'byte2' to specify Device. OBC-style Button Codes preferred."

I have no idea at all what that means.

So I went ahead and transferred the upgrade code and protocol over to IR anyway and attempted to upload to my remote. As far as I can tell, it did nothing.

Am I missing something major here? I'm not even sure what I'm doing. Is there anybody who can walk me through this a bit better?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot of info in your post, but two things jump to mind:

(1) The Easy One to check: Did you assign the upgraded device code to a device key in IR? (On the General Tab, you need to assign the upgrade device/code (AUD/1014?) to your desired device (RCVR/AMP, presumably).

(2) The second possibility (but I'm not a 6131 guru, so I'm not sure how likely this is): Assuming you have precisely the same receiver, what you did SHOULD work IF YOU ARE USING THE 6131 EXTENDER!

It appears that as a beginner, you are not likely to be using the extender, hence the upgrade may not work. The 6131 - somewhat uniquely, from what I've been able to determine on these boards, not having one myself - "unextended" is very different from the "extended".

(If you don't know what an extender is, you need to read more read-me's and FAQs, but basically it is a piece of code the experts have developed that allows MUCH greater ability to tailor your remote to do what you need/want - and its use is highly recommended for the 6131 to simplify KeyMoves as I recall)

As far as the annotation about the byte 2 column - you picked a tough protocol/Device upgrade to start with, as this is a complex two-byte signal. This upgrade can generate signals of multiple devices within the Pioneer family, some of which which have two distinct parts. If you open th file in KM and look on the "SETUP" Tab you will see three devices listed (163, 165, and 164). You could list up to 4 devices there. To determine which device is used for a function, it is insufficient to just enter the OBC in its column on the functions tab, you must specify which device of the three on the setup page to use. You do this with a 1, 2, or 3 in the "byte 2" column. (in this case there is no "fourth" device). If you look further in the byte 2 column, you will see that some of the entries have not only a 1,2,or 3, but also a second number. This is an EFC for a second byte which that function requires.

Try reading the Pioneer protocol help on the Protocol Help tab. If you still can't make it work, you're probably better off posting your IR file in the diagnostics area and providing a link in your next reply here.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, as a newbie (1 week) I feel your pain

Will ask if you tried simply using the update file with no modification. My experience with KM was (with IR running containing the current remote download)

Load the file into KM

Confirm or select your remote type

Click the button at the upper left of the update hex code

Click YES which will take you to the "paste" spot in IR

PASTE should populate the new update completely

If there are entries on the other boxes, (as your file does) do the same with them.

hth,
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Attempted my first upgrade. Utter failure. Extremely sad Reply with quote

skillethome wrote:

At the top in Keymap Master, it says: "Enter 4 Device Codes. Use '1', '2', '3' or '4' as 'byte2' to specify Device. OBC-style Button Codes preferred."

When you take a upgrade someone else already made, most of the work has already been done. But the various prompts and hints in KM were designed assuming you are doing all that work yourself. So you need to know which things need your attention and which don't:

1) Most important is setting the "Remote" choice to match the remote you're using. For KM the difference between 6131 and 6131 Extender is pretty subtle, so failing to change that wasn't serious.

2) Next review the Buttons sheet to see that the functions are assigned to the buttons where you want them.

Beyond that, there is rarely anything else that needs to be touched when using an upgrade someone else built. Specifically, you don't need to touch those settings you asked about.

skillethome wrote:

So I went ahead and transferred the upgrade code and protocol over to IR anyway and attempted to upload to my remote. As far as I can tell, it did nothing.

It's hard to guess what you did wrong, but it is more likely sonething in IR or on the remote itself, not in KM.

You can save and post (to the diagnosis area) the file created by IR.EXE to make it easy for us to see if/what you did wrong there.

skillethome wrote:

Am I missing something major here?

I'm sure you're missing something minor and easy but necessary, such as item 1 in Capn Trips' response.
skillethome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice.

I changed KM to 6131 without extender - no I don't have extender - and assigned the device, which I had not done. It was 1023/AUD.

When I uploaded, it worked ... sort of. Many of the functions are now there, but most are NOT on the keys they say they will be in KM. And a few are totally missing. For example, it has not assigned any button to transfer my tuner to DVD.

What causes the wrong buttons to be assigned and a few to be missing? And if there is a specific function on the original Pioneer remote control that I want to get onto the 6131 -- in this case, ADV. SURR and AUTO SURR -- is there a way I can do that?

Thanks again.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll need to see your IR file to know what you did wrong. id you change the device mode (eg, TV, VCR, Cable, etc) after you copied the upgrade over to IR, by any chance?
skillethome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, maybe.
I pasted the device upgrade and the protocol to IR.
Then I assigned the upgrade to the device key with 1023/AUD.
Then I uploaded to my remote.

Was that the wrong order?

Whatever the case, I went ahead and redid it. This time, I assigned the upgrade to the device key first, then edited the upgrade and the protocols and re-uploaded to the remote. No change.

Huh. Maybe it's because I don't have the extender?

Here is my IR file for my sort-of upgraded remote:

http://www.youknowyourname.com/jeep/PioneerUpgrade.ir

Last edited by skillethome on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First glance at that .ir file, I see you have a bunch of KeyMoves using audio/0300 and audio/0013 defined for the AUD device mode.

I assume those are left over from some previous attempt at getting your device working. But until you remove them, they override the new setup code.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skillethome wrote:
Um, maybe.

What was the device mode and setup code of the upgrade when it was still in KM?

It sounds like what you did was copy over the upgrade, then once it was in IR, you changed it's mode and setup code to AUD/1023 because that is the default code assigned to the AUD device button. When you change the device mode in IR, you break all the button assignments.

What you were supposed to do is simply change the setup code assigned to the device button itself. For example, let's say that your upgrade was called "AUDIO/2000", you would go to the General tab in IR and change the code assigned to the AUD button there.
skillethome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
First glance at that .ir file, I see you have a bunch of KeyMoves using audio/0300 and audio/0013 defined for the AUD device mode.

I assume those are left over from some previous attempt at getting your device working. But until you remove them, they override the new setup code.

The other AUD codes in my remote were put there by OneForAll. I recently sent in my remote and asked them to make it compatible with the Pioneer VSX-1014. They didn't have that receiver listed in their system for some strange reason, so I believe that they keyed in the two or three codes that they thought might work with it. You're telling me that I should go in and delete those while I'm in IR?
skillethome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
skillethome wrote:
Um, maybe.

What was the device mode and setup code of the upgrade when it was still in KM?

It sounds like what you did was copy over the upgrade, then once it was in IR, you changed it's mode and setup code to AUD/1023 because that is the default code assigned to the AUD device button. When you change the device mode in IR, you break all the button assignments.

What you were supposed to do is simply change the setup code assigned to the device button itself. For example, let's say that your upgrade was called "AUDIO/2000", you would go to the General tab in IR and change the code assigned to the AUD button there.

OK ... your post confuses me. Once I'd pasted over the device upgrade and the protocol from KM to IR -- and before I uploaded to the remote -- I went into the General tab and changed AUD (which is
Device 6) to 1023. Why? Because 1023 is what was listed in the upper left corner of KM when I opened the upgrade. That's wrong?

When you say: "What you were supposed to do is simply change the setup code assigned to the device button itself," I don't understand what you mean. Isn't that what I did?

I'm obviously on the right track, because the remote has accepted some of the upgrade. But I'm simply not comprehending the language you two guys are using, I guess. Is there any way that you can tell me exactly what to do under what tab and in what field? And should I do what Johnsfine says, and go delete the other codes?

Last edited by skillethome on Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
skillethome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, thanks ...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be doing the right thing, all I have to go on is how you describe what steps you performed, so if you don't describe them clearly enough, I have to make assumptions to fill in the blanks.

The detailed "step by step" is described here...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/

As I wrote that document, it's unlikely that I can describe the process any better in a quick post that how I described it in that very detailed doc.

Bottom line, the correct place to change the device type of your upgrade (if you chose to do so) is here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/img/image004.jpg

My question (to which you replied "maybe") was whether you changed the device type in the IR.exe pop up window, as seen here...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/img/image007.jpg

If you change the device type here, you should expect the button assignments to be incorrect.

As for whether you should delete the UEI installed upgrades, it doesn't matter. If you run out of space, delete them, if you don't run out of space, leave them or delete them, it doesn't matter.

Last edited by The Robman on Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skillethome wrote:
And should I do what Johnsfine says, and go delete the other codes?

There are keymoves on 0, Subtitle, Play, Select, REC, Rewind and Up in the AUD mode. Those keys will send the signals whatever assigned on them instead of what's defined in the Pioneer device upgrade you added.

Quote:
And if there is a specific function on the original Pioneer remote control that I want to get onto the 6131 -- in this case, ADV. SURR and AUTO SURR -- is there a way I can do that?

The KM .txt file you used seems to have those functions but just not assigned. Go back to KM and assign them on the buttons of your choice on the Buttons sheet.

Hal
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skillethome wrote:

When you say: "What you were supposed to do is simply change the setup code assigned to the device button itself," I don't understand what you mean. Isn't that what I did?

I'm obviously on the right track, because the remote has accepted some of the upgrade. But I'm simply not comprehending the language you two guys are using,

The setup code has a device type in it (Audio). In assigning the setup code to the device button, you correctly specified that device type. (Now that we see the .ir file) no one is questioning that part.

Since we didn't see your KM file, we can't see how the "Audio" got into the upgrade. It is correct to get Audio into the upgrade by selecting Audio within KM. It is possible, but not correct, to get Audio into the upgrade by changing the device type of the upgrade in the IR.EXE dialog where you pasted the hex of the upgrade.

One of the symptoms you described was consistent with the theory that you made THAT mistake, so Rob was trying to explain that possible mistake to make sure you didn't make it. I think your description was equally consistent with just being confused by the left over KeyMoves, so I don't think you made the mistake Rob guessed. But maybe Rob spotted some detail I missed.

skillethome wrote:
And should I do what Johnsfine says, and go delete the other codes?

I said to remove those KeyMoves (from IR.EXE's KeyMoves tab). Saying "codes" as you just did it too abiguous. I'm sure the other experts here agree that you do need to remove those KeyMoves in order to be able to test those Keys in your upgrade.

I didn't yet say one way or the other whether you should remove the device upgrades that you just told us were installed by OFA. Probably you should, in order to reduce confusion and to make room for whatever else you may want to add.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: