JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Saving URC Update Files

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bevhoward

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Saving URC Update Files Reply with quote

I received a phone update to my 8910 from URC that contains several "updates" all of which I really want to save for future use;

XM Roadie (1414)
Samsung dvd/vcr combo dvd-v4600 (1075)
coby dvd-224 (1351)
coby dvd-515 (1107)

Question; can these be individually saved from the download as separate update (??) files for future use in the 8910 and for import into other remote types?

Question; does URC have these updates available for download for JP1 users?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Saving URC Update Files Reply with quote

bevhoward wrote:

Question; can these be individually saved from the download as separate update (??) files for future use in the 8910 and for import into other remote types?

No. IR.EXE can display the contents of each upgrade, and it isn't hard to manually copy that information into KM or RM. But we don't have any automatic process.

I assume you have the actual devices, so if you copy the upgrades manually, you can make an important change while doing so (that an automatic process couldn't). Name each function in the upgrade based on what it does to the actual device (and/or what it is named on the original remote) not based on which 8910 button it was assigned to by UEI.

bevhoward wrote:

Question; does URC have these updates available for download for JP1 users?

So far as I know, they don't have any upgrades available for download in JP1 format and they only have upgrades for European OFA remotes available for download in .wav format.

There probably are at least some of your four devices already available as upgrades at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=4
bevhoward

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> it isn't hard to manually copy that information into KM or RM <<

Sorry to be dense, but I might be on the edge of an understanding... please correct me if I am wrong

In IR.EXE
<Devices Tab> shows only the "Upgrades" that have been loaded?

When a device in this tab is highlighted, the <Edit> button shows the sequence of ir command hex codes related to the keys they will be assigned to?

the "Key Name" sequence number controls the relationship of the function to button and this sequence order is controlled by the device type selection?

Copying the hex codes out of the <edit> box to KM/RM is the "manual transfer" process? (device type is required as well?)

Thanks in advance,
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bevhoward wrote:

In IR.EXE
<Devices Tab> shows only the "Upgrades" that have been loaded?

I don't know what you're trying to ask. Anyway, I assume you can see what the devices tab shows after downloading (or reloading from a saved .ir file) your eeprom image.

bevhoward wrote:

When a device in this tab is highlighted, the <Edit> button shows

Forget the Edit button. It gets you to a less useful form of the information than you have before pressing it.

Just select an upgrade from the list on the left and read the data from the main part of the window.

The Protocol ID together with the Fixed Data normally tell an expert the name of the protocol and the device number(s). But you should also check IR's protocols tab to see if the protocol ID of the device upgrade is redefined by a Protocol upgrade. In most cases, you can just post the protocol ID and fixed data and someone will tell you what they mean. For harder cases (redefined protocols, etc.) upload the whole .ir file to the diagnosis folder and post its URL back here.

Most of the window shows you the 8910 buttons and what Hex command is assigned to which button. For most protocols the EFC column also has accurate information.

You can use either Hex command or EFC to transfer the individual functions to RM or KM (KM is a little trickier using hex command, but possible). For some protocols either Hex command or EFC might be incompatible with the JP1 version of the protocol, in which case whoever translates the fixed data for you would warn you to use the other. In rare cases, both are incompatible and you'd need extra help to translate.

Another way to find protocol name and device number(s) is to learn and decode a command from the original remote and assume/test that the protocol and device number(s) are consistent across all the functions. You would also use learn/decode for any functions UEI left out of both the upgrade and any advanced codes lists they might have given you.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the lesson... will attempt to digest back in the IR interface this AM as it is still over my head.

Very valuable insights this morning.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As John pointed out, there isn't an automated way to convert your downloaded upgrades into KM or RM upgrade files, but the process is pretty easy for an of the experts here. The only tricky part is converting the protocol id and fixed data into a protocol and device codes. If you post a copy of your IR.exe dump in the Diagnosis Area (and provide a link to it here in this thread), one of us will look at it and will decode the id and fixed data for you. You could then use this info to start new upgrades in either KM or RM. You would then copy the EFCs that are displayed for the upgrades in IR.exe over to KM or RM manually. If UEI also sent you a document listing all the possible EFCs for each of these upgrades, you could use that info to complete your upgrades.

However, assuming that you still have the original remotes for each of these devices, you can also get all the required info quite easily by learning the signals from the original remotes using your URC-8910. Plus, doing it this way, you know exactly what each function really is, whereas using the UEI downloads as your starting point can be quite confusing as you don't know which functions they assigned to which buttons, and if you use their EFC lists, you'll be even more confused as they seem to deliberatly make those as confusing as possible.

The process for creating upgrades based on learned signals is spelled out here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/
bevhoward

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> and if you use their EFC lists, you'll be even more confused as they seem to deliberatly make those as confusing as possible. <<

Oh... so it's not my failing brain ;-)

>> http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/ <<

I have spent a lot of time in that document over the last week ;-)

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: