JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Special EFCs/device codes for JVC TV service menu?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex750

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Special EFCs/device codes for JVC TV service menu? Reply with quote

This question has come up before at RemoteCentral's forum, where I never did get a useful answer, so I'll ask again...

I have an older JVC TV (AV-2080S, circa 1990), which uses the "MasterCommand" system. As with most modern sets, all user adjustments are accessed via on-screen menus; I have also posted the relevant RM and KM setups to the old Yahoo file area.

I would like to be able to access the service menus (assuming they exist, which I'm pretty sure they do), so as to be able to "tweak" the color temperature, convergence, overscan, geometry, etc. However, within the standard setup code (TV_0053), no EFCs have been found which do so, and the macros specified by Remote Central do not work, either with the OEM remote or my customized 8910.

I have been told that JVC shops use a special "service remote" to access these menus. Do these remotes use the same setup code (and thus use some sort of macros to get to, and perhaps navigate, the service menus), or a different one (and thus use different EFCs altogether, perhaps as a "mixed code" device a la Pioneer)?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compliments of Google...

http://artofhacking.com/files/TVMODES.HTM

Quote:
JVC:

Newer ones with the full colour menus...

Go into the menu, select CLOCK SET, and you will get the clock set menu. Set the clock to 3:21 AM. As soon as you select "Start Clock", you see a flashing "THANK YOU". WHILE THIS IS STILL FLASHING hit MUTE then UP/DOWN. You will then be in a service menu which will let you change all kinds of neat things.

The service menu on new JVC televisions is quite self explanatory, so I will not include a walkthrough here.

Plus, you might be able to get some assistance here...
http://www.pechorin.com

Last edited by The Robman on Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
alex750

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: 'Full colour menus'...? Reply with quote

This is the same as I was told on RemoteCentral. It doesn't work.

My set doesn't have "full color menus" (a colored background, like my VCR? a full GUI, like my HD tuner?). It has colored text (typically cyan, magenta or yellow), either on a black background or directly on the picture. To select a menu item, hit MENU. There are three pages:

Page-1
1. Choice Programming (a list of five favorite channels)
2. Channel Scan
3. Set-Up AV Status (presets for color, tint, etc.)

Page-2
4. Sleep Timer
5. Set On Timer (an "alarm clock")
6. Set Clock

Page-3
7. Home Sitter (a "security timer," like a lamp timer)
8. Channel Guard (channel lock-out--a maximum of three)
9. Initial Set-Up

To access a menu item on page 2 or 3, hit MENU again. Or, hit MENU followed by the item number (e.g., hit MENU 6 to set the clock). When the clock is set, it starts immediately when AM or PM is selected. There is no "Start Clock?" query, and no "Thank You" acknowledgement.

Also, the Oregon State link took me to a Zenith service manual...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case it escapes you, Rob's reply is pure sarcasm, as he went out of his way to conduct a Google search that you could have just as easily conducted. As your request is outside the realm of JP1, you might want to show some appreciation for his effort rather than complaining that it was insufficient.

Having said that, have you looked all of the JVC upgrades in the file section? Some of them purport to have Service Menu codes - which may or may not work with your set, but it's unclear whether or not you have tried them (another frustration with your initial post).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A link to the R/C post would have been helpful, along with a mention of what things had already been tried.
alex750

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: apology... Reply with quote

The "no 'thank you' acknowlegement" referred to the TV, not to you. I was simply trying to provide more information; I'm sorry if it came across as a complaint. 'Embarassed'

The original R/C post has probably been lost (I couldn't find it) as it was over six months ago. However, the instructions I mentioned appear to be common knowledge, as I've seen them repeated multiple times...they always refer to newer sets than my own, or non-US sets, as do:
--JP1's own setup file area
--RemoteCentral's file areas, including "Discrete Codes"
--the Pechorin's forum
--other electronics fora, some JVC related, some not
As for the "service remotes" I mentioned earlier, I've never been able to find setup codes for them; short of an all-out brute force effort (trying every possible EFC from every known JVC setup code, even those not dealing with TVs at all), I don't know what else to do.

It is, of course, possible the reason I can't find such information is because:
(a) It doesn't exist--there are no service menus for this set;
(b) It's covered by strict NDAs, and anyone divulging it would be subject to steep liabilities (and possibly prosecution). However, I believe this is highly unlikely: why would information on newer sets not be covered as well?
(c) Nobody else is interested: I am the first to ask, and such information as there was on the subject has been discarded. This TV is 15 years old, after all.

Even obtaining a JVC service manual is apparently not an option; I've tried contacting JVC, and they have an "authorized providers only" policy for such sales (they don't want to be sued because someone grabbed a hot circuit and got themselves barbecued). Similar inquiries to Sams Photofacts et al., have gone nowhere. And I would need such a manual, if indeed the adjustments are manual; the circuit boards, presumably robot-assembled, are unlabeled--not even so much as a part number, except on some of the obvious pieces (e.g., the CRT, flyback, large ICs, etc.)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the Service Manual for about $25 from either of these sites:

http://www.craigcamera.com/lit_jvc.htm
http://www.servicemanuals.net/
alex750

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to servicemanuals.net, and got it in about 30 seconds, $23.50 plus shipping.

My information (and bad experience) was old; when in doubt, go third party Very Happy

Now we'll get the "service menu" question answered, once and for all...if they do exist, I'll report back with the how-to (and update the RM and KM files, if applicable).

Many thanks for the info...and sorry about the misunderstanding(s).
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you hold off on the manual purchase another day? I have a call into another local servicer (who is authorized JVC - I am Sony and Hitachi but don't have any old manuals on JVC) He was going to check later today (Thursday) on his manuals and get back to me. I doubt that there are many adjustments on that size and age TV set. The picture tubes were all "self converging" types from pretty much all manufacturers with no electronic convergence controls (that didn't come until there were flat screens).

Sorry, I didn't post anything earlier but I wanted to have some definite info first.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other servicer only had manuals back to 1996 but they may use similar service menus. The method involves pressing two buttons on the original remote simultaneously. (display and video status) Most remotes give no output when two buttons are pressed simultaneously so the original remote is definetely odd - but not a special remote. If you've got the original remote then you can try it.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the original remote is available, and pressing the two buttons together does indeed bring up the service menu, you should try to capture the signal using a JP1 learning remote so we can re-create it.

If the original remote is no longer available, you could try all possible EFCs with the setup code or upgrade that you're using. Of course, there's always the risk that you'll accidentally stumble across a master reset code, which would not be a good thing, but hopefully you'll just stumble across the service menu code.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, following this thread with interest, although I had previously found in other upgrade files several OBCs that claimed to be JVC TV Service Menu codes (Dev 3 OBCs 96 and 102) neither of which worked, and not being brave enough to do an OBC/EFC search for fear of doing irreparable harm to my TV, I decided it wouldn't hurt to try the simultaneous press trick, and lo and behold, for my recent model JVC TV, simultaneous press of "Display" and "Video Status" brought up a Service Menu! (out of which I immediately exited, but the thrill of victory is mine, BWAAA-HA-HA-HA).
Twisted Evil

So I learned the code, and it's JVC Device 3, OBC 106 Very Happy .

I've upgraded my master list to include this function. Maybe it'll work for you, too Wink .
alex750

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Epilogue Reply with quote

Got the service manual today, and...there's no mention of service menus, or a service remote. The OEM remote (which I still have, and which still works) is listed as model RM-C424, part number RM-C424-KD. There is no VIDEO STATUS button, but there is an AV STATUS/RESET button. Pressing this and DISPLAY together have no effect.

I'll try adding Zaphod's code to my custom setup, but I don't have much hope it'll work.

For reference purposes, this set is described as "Basic Chassis Type FX-III".

Inside the manual are safety instructions, a copy of the (user) instruction manual, disassembly instructions, location of the service controls (what few there are), adjustment procedures, and schematics and parts lists. Oh, and there's a handy guide to soldering SMDs with an ordinary iron.

Under adjustments, there's just the basics: some RF and IF stuff (noise AGC, color killer, etc.), screen, focus, vertical size, and sub picture/bright. That's it. On the CRT board, there's also RGB cutoff and R & G drive. As Zaphod observed, there are no convergence controls, nor (apart from vertical size) any geometry or overscan adjustments, nor sub color or tint.

Tweaking the CRT controls might change the color temperature and/or gray linearity, but they might also end up ruining the CRT. I'm already noticing a bit of smearing on intense reds and oranges when the color's cranked up to THX spec.

The only additional feature is a "service mode switch," which is used solely for purity adjustment; since (a) this involves messing with the magnets on the CRT, which (b) are securely Loctited in place (still, after 15 years!), and at any rate (c) don't need adjustment at present, this switch is of little use.

Oh well. At least I'll have an answer to the local "we don't service 'vintage' JVC" shops, should the need arise...most likely I'll have myself a "real" HDTV before then.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Epilogue Reply with quote

alex750 wrote:

I'll try adding Zaphod's code to my custom setup, but I don't have much hope it'll work.

Have you tried OBC 106 (that I listed above)? I had not seen it in any of my research prior to learning it from a double-press a few days ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Discrete Codes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: