JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adding a Code to a RS 2116
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jef

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Adding a Code to a RS 2116 Reply with quote

Ok, I've had this remote for a while, fiddled a little bit with the JP1 and have found it to be very exciting. The main reason, however, I got this remote was to control the receiver to my c-band satellite receiver, a Uniden UST4600. I picked it up for $1 off of Ebay without a remote, who was I to know it was one of those electronic devices that you couldn't use without a remote? After searching extensively for a reasonably priced remote I finally gave up, that is when I learned about JP1. Long story short I talked to One For All and they said that they do have a code for my receiver (according to them it is 0657) BUT they don't program it into their remotes as it isn't very widely used. They did say that they had upgradeable remotes. Anyway, I read up a bit more and decided to make the JP1 plunge. I opted for a Radio Shack 2116 as my sister is a RS manager and I figured I could save a couple bucks. I also thought that I could just 'add' the 0657 code to it and I'd be off and running. Well, obviously, I was wrong.

I guess that brings me to my question, is there anyway to add the OFA 0657 code to my RS remote?

If you need any other info please let me know!

Thanks a lot for any help.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a newbie also, so I am certain that jon and rob and nils and maybe even james will have a better solution than this, but here is my two cents worth. OK, once cents worth. OK, actually I will pay you to read this drivel Smile

1. go to wal-mart, buy a OFA 8810w for less than $20. save the receipt Smile
2. if the 8810w does not have code 0657 as you suggest, call OFA and see if they can upgrade it. if you like the 8810w just return the RS one at this point Smile
3. once the OFA is upgraded, use the learn feature on the RS remote and upload the learned codes into IR.exe so we can find out what protocol, device, sub-device, and OBCs the uniden device is using. In fact, learn all the buttons on the OFA this way and build yourself an upgrade for the RS remote. Meanwhile with the protocol information there may be an existing upgrade out there we can look for.
4. if you like the layout of the RS better than the OFA, now is a good time to return the OFA to wal-mart.
JP1Files
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Uniden UST777 in this CCF file
http://remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/files/dl.cgi?file=ccf_templates/complete_system/nicks_ccf.zip&area=pronto

It seems to use pid-000D.
I forget how device and OBC numbers work in that protocol, but I'm sure I can rediscover that. It shouldn't be too hard to duplicate as an upgrade and see if it's the same as the UST4600.
jef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could work, but it looks like the UST777 is only a positioner, but not a receiver.

While searching semi-related threads I did find something. The Uniden SQ560 is supposed to be the exact same unit, except with a different box. I found this site

http://ir.premisesystems.com/search.aspx?m=UNIDEN&l=SQ560

and was trying to decode the individual IR code using IR Tool and then taking that information into the Keymap Master spreadsheet hoping that I could make a new device. I think I was doing things right, but, as I've never creaded a new device, I am not sure. Anyway, I uploaded but it didn't do a thing. But, and this is entirely possible, I might have done everything wrong.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post the .txt file for that upgrade you made. Someone can compare that with the link you posted, and see if, and where an error may have been made. You might also post a IR save text file with that upgrade added in "diagnosis" (at yahoo JP-1).

Anyone with a modem upgradeable remote could get the "0657" code uploaded to their remote, then examine the upgrade and post the KM or RM upgrade. It probably isn't in ANY remote as part of it's library of native codes.

Jim
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim's suggestions are good.

I decoded a few signals from that Premise link you gave. They were Denon protocol, device 1. Is that what you got (I'm not sure how old your IrTool is)?

I checked some of the frequency and timing details as well. It really looks like Denon protocol (rather than just something with similar structure that fools the decoder), so I don't know why an upgrade wouldn't work.

How good is your info that the SQ560 is the same device?
The UST4500 from that site also uses Denon 1.
The UST4800 from that site is 40Khz NEC2 device 135.88
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
I decoded a few signals from that Premise link you gave. They were Denon protocol, device 1.

I also decoded the signals. Here's the EFC/OBC's:
Code:
EFC  OBC  Function
001  102  num 0
157   79  num 1
161   78  num 2
159   77  num 3
061  119  num 4
065  118  num 5
063  117  num 6
125  111  num 7
129  110  num 8
127  109  num 9
225   94  channel up
097   86  channel down
094   81  Audio
253  103  Call
064  114  Cancel

jef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for all of your help! I really appreciate it.

As far as the SQ560 and the UST4600 being the same unit, I have read it on many Usenet and message boards and when I talked to Uniden support they forwarded me to information about the SQ560. I WAS pretty sure that they had the same remote, but, I could be mistaken about that as well.

Now here is where Uniden gets really crazy, in my opinion. You can't follow the model numbers AT ALL. For instance the UST4500 (which I have a remote for, it doesn't work either) predates the UST4600 but is a much better receiver. The 4800 also predates the 4600, but isn't a better receiver. It seems their numbering system has nothing to do with the quality or the relationships between models. And ALSO from what I understand the remotes don't usually, if ever, work with a different receiver.

I'd be more than happy to upload my KM .txt file, but I'm not sure where exactly to upload it to. And, risking sounding like a complet idiot, what is an IR save text file?

I did notice one thing when decoding the IR code from the Premise website, on several of the commands in addition to the Denon protocol it would have another protocol, Async12:205-224:FF.EF..FF.FF

I have no idea what that means, but, oh well. Maybe what I'll just do is run up to Wal-Mart and see what they have for One For All remotes. When I spoke with OFA they said that only the 8910, 8911, 9910, 9911, and the 9960 are phone upgrade able, all of the other ones need to be sent in. Is that truly the case?

Thanks again for all of your help!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jef,
Try this code and see if it works...

Upgrade Code 0 = 72 91 (SAT/0657)
1C 00 FE FE D6 F1 78 66 F2 72 B2 EE 6E AE F6 76
B6 3A 2A 32 7A 6A 16 D2 1E 4E A6 DA 5A 06 9A 2E
4A 8A 92 1A 52 CA 8E E6 0A 26
End

I'e programmed all the obvious buttons to their 15-2116 counterpart and I've programmed everything else to whatever buttons were left, so almost every button does something.

If it works I'll give you the KM file so you can re-arrange the buttons to suit your taste.
jef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I added the device, but it doesn't seem to work either. I'm actually not even certain if the information that the Premise site has is correct. It seems like there are some buttons that aren't there and some, seemingly, not related buttons are there.

I did go buy a One For All 8910 today, so hopefully I'll be able to get the code added, then get all of the information to make a KM file.

Thanks a lot for your help!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can wait until next week, I bet I can get the 0657 upgrade for you, compliments of UEI
jef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can wait, if you could do that, it'd be fantastic!
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jef wrote:
I'd be more than happy to upload my KM .txt file, but I'm not sure where exactly to upload it to. And, risking sounding like a complet idiot, what is an IR save text file?

It looks like no one ever answered that. This forum doesn't (yet) have an associated file area, so we still use the file area in the Yahoo JP1 group, that used to be the forum for this topic. Upload to its diagnosis folder
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Diagnosis%20Area/
If you aren't a member there already, it will ask you to join the first time you try that link. Then try the link again after you join.

In IR.EXE there is a Save command on the File menu, which produces a hexidecimal text image of the eeprom contents. Do that right before an upload to the remote (of the configuration you are testing on the remote), then upload that saved file to diagnosis (and post a message here with the file name you used there). Then we can examine the file for any obvious explanation of why the remote didn't behave as intended (see if there is an explanation OTHER than the one we can't check, that the data at Premise doesn't fit your device).

jef wrote:
I did notice one thing when decoding the IR code from the Premise website, on several of the commands in addition to the Denon protocol it would have another protocol, Async12:205-224:FF.EF..FF.FF

That's just a flaw in my decoder. It sometimes produces extra decodes that are total garbage. It's too hard for it to be sure whether certain posible decodes are valid or not, so it displays any that might be right. The user must apply extra information to distinguish which are right. The most common "extra information" is the fact that all the commands for a device almost always use a single protocol, so if every command has a Denon decode and some of them also have an Async decode, you can deduce the Denon decodes are right and the Async decodes are wrong.

Getting 0657 from UEI is probably your best bet. Having Rob get it will be easier, but you could get it over the phone yourself, since you bought that 8910.

Meanwhile you might want to upload that file to diagnosis anyway, since there's a chance you made a simple error in installing the upgrade and the Data at Premise is correct (so you could have it working sooner). It's even possible that data is correct and 0657 is wrong (UEI customer support's private model to setup code database isn't 100% perfect, though it's clearly better than anything we or anyone else have).
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jef wrote:
Well, I added the device, but it doesn't seem to work either.

Try this upgrade to see if it works. It's compiled from a download for the URC-8060 Kameleon and formatted for the 15-2116

Protocol: Denon, Device Code: 1

Upgrade Code 0 = 72 91 (SAT/0657)
1C 00 FC 9D 78 65 F1 71 B1 ED 6D AD F5 75 B5 39
29 31 79 69 15 1D 2D A5 E9 A9 E5
End

The settings for this upgrade are:
Code:
EFC  Function       Button
233  num 0          0
133  num 1          1
137  num 2          2
135  num 3          3
037  num 4          4
041  num 5          5
039  num 6          6
101  num 7          7
105  num 8          8
103  num 9          9
203  vol up         vol up
075  vol down       vol down
139  mute           mute
201  channel up     channel up
073  channel down   channel down
106  power          power
170  last (prev ch) last
231  menu           menu
069  left arrow     left arrow
071  right arrow    right arrow
043  select         select
229  info           info

jef

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Try this upgrade to see if it works. It's compiled from a download for the URC-8060 Kameleon and formatted for the 15-2116

IT WORKS!!!

You guys are totally amazing! That one works perfectly! It's great, I can FINALLY use my receiver to it's full potential!

Thank all of you so much for all of your help
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: