JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any expert interested in building RDF for a Motorola DCP501?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshville

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Any expert interested in building RDF for a Motorola DCP501? Reply with quote

Hey, Anyone,
Let me begin by saying I'm brand new to JP1, but I _think_ I'm picking up on it pretty quickly. Unfortunately, I think what I'm trying to do is well over my head. I have a Motorola DCP501. It's a combination digital cable tuner, AM/FM surround sound A/V receiver/amp, and DVD/CD/MP3 player. It came with a remote that has a JP1 connector. I've programmed most of the functions of the 501 to an old Millennium 4 that I had, but I would _really_ like to program the 501's remote to control my other stuff, since it has a lot more buttons available. What I've done so far is here, and I believe (with my limited knowledge) that part of the problem may be an incomplete RDF. In this old thread Rob asks to borrow Hongso's DCP501 remote to complete the RDF, but there are no further posts. I asked Rob if he was still interested in completing the RDF, but he suggested I throw it to the other experts, as he is semi-retired from active JP1 support. I would be happy to include return postage if anyone is interested in this project. I would even be glad to throw in my Millennium 4 if I can replace it with the DCP501.

Any takers?

Thanks!

-Josh
joshville

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCP501 is URC-9030B02. Does that give more info? Macros?

Hope it's OK that I started a new thread. If not, mods, just delete, thanks. I've pretty much resolved the stuff that the other thread was about. That is, I can re-assign button device types, perform a 981 reset, etc. Now I would like to work on the RDF, as the one in the RDF distribution is just a starter. The RDF only has the number buttons, four device buttons, channel, volume, power, mute, and setup. There are 63 buttons on the remote. I read in another thread that the way to work on getting more buttons in the RDF is to record macros manually and then view them in IR. I find it hard to believe that this remote is not macro-capable, but I'm not sure how to find that out. It has the A, B, and C buttons just like a Millennium 4, but right now they don't do anything. A, B, and C are not in the current RDF. I tried to make up a macro in IR using the few buttons that are defined, but it doesn't seem to execute on the remote. The setup button on the remote is not like other remotes in that it enters the setup menu on the box rather than setting up the remote. Entering device codes on the remote is accomplished by holding down the desired device button until all the LED's under the device buttons flash and then entering the code. 981 works at this time (gives 2 sets of 2 blinks) as well to reset the EEPROM, and the 990 code for blink back works (gives 3 blinks immediately, then press buttons 1-4 for blink-back of digits). I tried other 99x codes, but the remote doesn't respond. 980 gives me 4 blinks. 983 gives me 1 blink, but I have no idea what it does. 977 gives me 4 blinks.

Anyone have any enlightenment? Would it help to post a picture of the remote?
joshville

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention in the last post that the user manual is not much help. It gives instructions for changing the device codes (but not the device type assigned to the button), code blink back, and code search. It doesn't even tell how to do the reset.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the user manual for the DCP501 in case anyone's interested. The remote control instructions start on PDF page 25. The TV & VCR setup codes are on pages 128 thru 135.

As for finding all the button codes, if the remote doesn't accept the keymover (994) or macro (995) commands, your next option is to check to see whether the codes are printed on the PCB itself. To do this, open up the remote and see if numbers like S01, S02, etc are printed on the PCB. If they are, these are the keycodes in OCTAL, offset down by 1 (ie, if you drop the 'S' and convert the remaining number from base-8 to decimal, then add 1 to it, you'll get the decimal keycode for the button.

Even though the remote doesn't appear to accept user-programmed macros, the fact that it has the A/B/C buttons and they are described as being for CATV programming, is a strong indication that these buttons support multi-macros, which in turn means that the remote will almost certainly support the playback of macros programmed thru IR.exe (once you have a working RDF).

Judging from the picture above, this remote looks very similar to the DRC-400 so it might be possible to try merging the DCP501 starter RDF with the DRC-400 RDF to see how close that gets us.

If no other expert voluneers to decode this remote, send it to me and I'll do it, but like I said in the PM, it might take me a while.

Last edited by The Robman on Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an experimental merged RDF:

MGRAMGR0 (Motorola DCP501R).rdf
joshville

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are Sxx codes printed on the PCB. I tried using the method you described, but I think maybe I misunderstood something. Or screwed up my translating. In the file linked, in the Octal column are the S codes (with S dropped). I tried to translate to hex for the RDF, but the values aren't even close to the ones in the old RDF. I tried replacing the values in the RDF with those in the "for RDF" column, but I don't know how to check if these are right or way off. All the buttons showed up in the Macro writing box, and I tried a few, assigning them to both the Power and "A" buttons. I didn't seem to get it to run, though. I tried the button in all the device modes of the remote.

DCP501Btns.txt

If this means that macros are truly not possible then we can just kill off this whole effort.

BTW, I Googled for the URC code printed on the PCB (URC-9030B02) with no results.

Thanks, everyone, for your great support!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your OCTAL decodes, and I also agree that these appear to be non-standard codes, hence the difference to the codes in the RDF.

As it appears that nobody else is too keen to decode this remote, send it to me and I'll do it.
joshville

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rob! I'll get it your way as soon as I can get by the post office or UPS. Do you have a preference as to which of those? Also, is there any information that would be helpful to include, such as how the box responds to the different commands in the different modes? I don't know if it complicates things that the box has DVD, tuner, etc.

Don't worry about taking a while as I have most of the functionality of the box available with the KM file combined with my Millennium 4.

Thank you so much!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind how you mail it, but in my experience, the USPS is quicker and cheaper than UPS or FedEx. If I have the remote in my hands, I won't need any additional info. My main goal here is to create an RDF for it so you can program it to work other devices, it's not really relevant how it controls it's OEM device (for this purpose).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Josh,
Just FYI, the remote arrived today, I'll let you know what I find.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the current "work in progress" RDF:
(Motorola DCP501R ver 1).rdf

Here's a "virgin" dump...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1893

And here's a picture (to be used for maps, etc)...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1894
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'e made a few minor adjustments to the RDF and apart from it needing a valid map image, I think it's ready for prime time.
joshville

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! I wish everyone's definition of taking a while was as quick as yours....

Have you determined if it's capable of macros and/or keymoves?

Thank you, Robfather!

-Josh
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to capable of playback of macros or keymoves. Therefore, the only way that would happen is if Hal ports his RTV5000 extender over to this remote, which I think he's willing to do, but it would be up to you to test it out, which might be a bit of work.

If this is something you're interested in, say so here and I'm sure Hal will jump in with more info.
joshville

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, that sounds like fun! I looked a little at the RTV5000 extender, and it looks like it would be understandable if I did some real digging around. I'm a mechanical guy by most of my training, but I did take one course in school that involved programming the Motorola HC11 microprocessor, so I've at least seen assembly code before. If you can tell me the best way to get started I'll get my shovel and start digging.

Thanks again so much for all the help!

-Josh
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: