JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can anyone explain this overlap?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Can anyone explain this overlap? Reply with quote

OK, I've got a wierd overlap that I'm guessing I can't fix, but I'd like to understand.

It seems that the command I send to my Pioneer Receiver to set to "VCR" input somehow also looks like the command my DirecTV Tivo thinks is the "TiVo/DirecTV" button.

Basically, switching to the VCR input on the reciever sends the TiVo back to TiVo central (or Now Playing if it was already at TiVo Central).

Here's what I don't get, the EFCs and OBCs don't look to be the same, so maybe its just an artifact of how different protocols line up?

I'm using an upgrade code for the Receiver that uses the Pioneer 2CMD protocol, the function in question is OBC 015, EFC 141, Hex Command $F0 $F0 (2 byte command)

I'm using the VCR/0618 code built into my 6131, but I've keymoved EFC 150 (Hex command $93) to the Menu function because it seems to work better than the builtin code. I think the other EFCs for similar functions with subtle variations in behavior are 058 or 166

I'll upload my IR and upgrade files shortly.

I guess it doesn't REALLY matter, I can get around the few problems this causes by being careful about the order I do things, (saving to VCR from TiVo requires some creative covering of the remote while switching modes, etc.)
Herbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zip file with .IR and KM Upgrade files here
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When 2 signals collide like this, there's really not much that can be done about it. The best that I can think of as a work-around would be to first determine what order the inputs are presented on the Pioneer when you use the INPUT button (assuming that there is such a button), then program a macro that selects the input previous to the VCR input, then include a press of INPUT, this should put the receiver into VCR mode without affecting your Tivo.
Herbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob, that's what I figured.

Its not a huge problem, just about the only thing the VCR gets used for anymore is to save TiVo stuff to tape for our non-DVR friends who missed a show or something.

I just have to be careful about the order of operations when I do this, (since it takes coordinated effort on both the TiVo and VCR to start the operation), and just cover the emitter when I've got the TiVo on a screen I don't want it to leave...

Its a rare day indeed that I actually WATCH a video now, but my wife does occasionally...

Anyhow, just wanted to make sure it wasn't something stupid I was doing wrong.
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about changing the remote address of your TiVo?

Hal
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, changing the address won't help. I have 4 dtivos, set to addresses 1-4, when you press VCR1 on the pioneer receiver remote, all 4 go into the menu.
whompus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 420h pioneer dvd recorder does this same kind of thing with dtivo. The remote that comes with the 420h controls a lot of functions on the dtivo.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whompus wrote:
The 420h pioneer dvd recorder does this same kind of thing with dtivo. The remote that comes with the 420h controls a lot of functions on the dtivo.

The is a cure for that, you can change the addresses on the DVDR & Dtivo.
Herbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only remaining question is:

Is there any value in trying a different version of the Pioneer Protocol?

I remember there are several variants, and I had some trouble getting one of the newer ones to work with my system a while back, but I'd dig into it again if it meant avoiding this problem...

Or is it one of those cases where "the signal that needs to be sent is what it is, and it looks enough like the other signal that this is always going to happen?"

Thanks.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't the case that signals are similar, it was done on purpose for some reason. The tivo responds to two different signals for the same command.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herbie wrote:
I just have to be careful about the order of operations when I do this, (since it takes coordinated effort on both the TiVo and VCR to start the operation), and just cover the emitter when I've got the TiVo on a screen I don't want it to leave...

Does the Pioneer INPUT button do anything to the Tivo? If it doesn't and the discrete code for the input prior to VCR doesn't do anything either, you can use the solution I proposed earlier to avoid having to be so "careful". If you find just the right sequence of remote buttons, you can program a macro that will take care of this situation so you'll never need to worry about covering the emitter again.

Herbie wrote:
Is there any value in trying a different version of the Pioneer Protocol?

The other Pioneer "protocols" are really just different "executors". They offer different ways of combining the various Pioneer signals into one executor, so even if you're able to use a different executor to re-create the VCR button, the actual infrared signal emitted by the remote will be exactly the same and will therefore still cause your Tivo to re-act.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pioneer DVD recorder DVR520, multiple address discussion has been split off to the following seperate thread...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4770
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: