JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

urc-8910 / urc-9960 Help with Pioneer TV and Denon DVD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drosen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: urc-8910 / urc-9960 Help with Pioneer TV and Denon DVD Reply with quote

Hello to all, this is my first post here and I would appreciate any help that can be given. I have spent telephone time with OFA customer service, and I think I am at the end of the line with them.

I have an OFA urc8910 and an OFA urc9960 Kameleon. Both use the same codes, so any help with one will help with the other.

Pioneer SD-P5071 Projection TV - apparently code 0166 works (for the common functions) but I MUST be able to change inputs (cable, vcr, satv). No button on the OFA will do it, and neither the 8910 nor the 9960 will "learn" that selection function from the original remote (Error, Error, Error....)
Please Help!

Denon DVD-715 DVD Player - apparently the proper code is 0634. However, the power button turns the machine on but there is no way to turn it OFF. (And of course it would be nice, although not necessary, if I could control the tray open and close. I do not have the original remote for this equipment, so I cannot try any learning.

Thank you in advance for any help.
D.
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: urc-8910 / urc-9960 Help with Pioneer TV and Denon DVD Reply with quote

drosen wrote:

Pioneer SD-P5071 Projection TV - apparently code 0166 works (for the common functions) but I MUST be able to change inputs (cable, vcr, satv). No button on the OFA will do it, and neither the 8910 nor the 9960 will "learn" that selection function from the original remote (Error, Error, Error....)
Please Help!

One of the #1 causes for learning failure is low batteries in the "sending/source" remote. I don't think the signals from a Pioneer remote are that strange, so replacing the batteries will most likely let you learn these signals.

drosen wrote:

Denon DVD-715 DVD Player - apparently the proper code is 0634. However, the power button turns the machine on but there is no way to turn it OFF. (And of course it would be nice, although not necessary, if I could control the tray open and close. I do not have the original remote for this equipment, so I cannot try any learning.

Okay, here's something to try. All of the upgrade files here suggest that Denon DVD players all use similar codes. So try this:

In DVD mode,. press and release the Setup/Magic/Set/P key (the one you use to program in codes like 0632, etc.). Then press 0 then 2 then 6.
(that should turn your DVD player off). Setup-0-7-4 should open/close the DVD tray.

I think (but I'm not sure) that you can program these codes onto keys on your remote. If they work, someone else should be able to help you. If I'm wrong, then you'll need to buy a JP1 cable.
drosen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for helping me. Results are as follows:

1. Pioneer TV - installed new batteries in the original remote. OFA still produces "Error" message and will not learn the input selector function. I sure hope you can think of something else besides the JP1 cable. Not preferred, but maybe possible I need a routine like what you said for the Denon, involving the setup key?

2. Denon DVD: BONANZA! You saved me. Pressing the set button and then the three-digit codes you listed did exactly what we wanted. Tomorrow I'll have to figure out how to get that sequence on a button, but:
a. Why doesn't the one power button turn it on and off, like all other
equipment? I'm going to need 2 separate buttons, one for on and one
for off? Sounds crazy.
b. Can you please tell me the full list of those 3-digit codes for this
equipment, or how I can find the right upgrade file and decipher it?

Many thanks for sticking with me.
Don
drosen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again:
Please forgive me, I was so happy to receive your fast advice that I posted a reply too fast. I see that if I open an upgrade text file and stare at it long enough, I can see where the codes are coming from, and they do work. For example, I see that to change the inputs of the Pioneer tv, I use Set+1+2+3. I know you are experienced at all of this but I must say, to me, it's like magic!

Now, I need to see if I can put those strokes on a button, like a macro. If not, and if I understand your comment, this is where I get into the JP1 stuff and put it into the remote myself. I would really noy like to have to go through all of that - there is no way, knowing those strokes, to do it externally?
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To map a advanced code(efc) to key on the 8910:

1. press and hold SET
2. using the down cursor, scroll to KEYMOVER
3. press SELECT
4. press device key
5. tap SET once
6. enter 3 digit advanced code
7. press SELECT
8. press device key
9. pick a key

For the 9960:

1. press and hold SETUP
2. press OTHER
3. enter 9-9-4
4. press device key
5. press SETUP do not hold
6. enter advanced code
7. pick a key

Depending on what version of the 9960 you have, it may take 3 digit advanced codes or 5. if it takes 5, then you need to add two zeroes to FRONT of the 3 digit code.
drosen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edmund:
I can't thank you enough!! Now I'm all set.
I never, never would have figured that out from the manual's description of the keymover function.

So now, it looks like if I get the upgrade text files for various equipment, and decipher the 3 digit codes, I can enter them into the remote(s) and not have to go through the JP1 cable mess. What is the downside of doing this as compared with doing it through the software and cable?

Don
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drosen wrote:
So now, it looks like if I get the upgrade text files for various equipment, and decipher the 3 digit codes, I can enter them into the remote(s) and not have to go through the JP1 cable mess. What is the downside of doing this as compared with doing it through the software and cable?

Well, for one thing, you don't have a backup in case your remote fails. There are also many other things that you can do with JP1, but if you don't know about them, maybe you won't miss them Smile
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drosen wrote:
So now, it looks like if I get the upgrade text files for various equipment, and decipher the 3 digit codes, I can enter them into the remote(s) and not have to go through the JP1 cable mess.

Don't know if you still need lists of additional codes. If yes, you can find related upgrades here
Denon DVDs
Pioneer TVs

JP1 is not a mess. It's a miracle. It preserves what you built. And you'll never again have to manually enter keymoves Very Happy
drosen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help. I will get into the JP1 thing soon, but for now I just wanted to get everything working as fast as possible so wifey will stop complaining. Mission accomplished.

Only one loose end:
For the general instrument 4dtv satellite receiver DSR 922, the standard 1669 code seems to work fine but I am missing the most important satellite selection screen. From the upgrade file it looks like the advanced code of 021 should work, but it doesn't.

Does anyone know a code to get to the satellite selction screen?

Thank you all very much.
Don
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drosen wrote:
Thank you all for your help. I will get into the JP1 thing soon,

Maybe sooner than you think Smile

drosen wrote:

Only one loose end:
For the general instrument 4dtv satellite receiver DSR 922, the standard 1669 code seems to work fine but I am missing the most important satellite selection screen. From the upgrade file it looks like the advanced code of 021 should work, but it doesn't.

Fortunately or un-fortunately, now you need JP1. The 4DTV device code (1669) uses two byte key codes. With two byte key codes EFC's don't always work. In this case, I'm confident the EFC's won't ever work.
drosen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again.
I got the parts today, and I'm going to build the JP1 cable in a few minutes.
I've read a few of the posts for newbies about the software, but are there any tips you might suggest in advance? My first goal will be to find and enter the right code in the right place so I can get the satellite screen intrinsically without storing it as a "learned" signal.
Don
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drosen wrote:
Thank you again.
I got the parts today, and I'm going to build the JP1 cable in a few minutes.
I've read a few of the posts for newbies about the software, but are there any tips you might suggest in advance? My first goal will be to find and enter the right code in the right place so I can get the satellite screen intrinsically without storing it as a "learned" signal.
Don

You're quite welcome. The easiest way to do what you want is to create a keymove. You're going to reference the device (SAT?) and the code (1669). The for the EFC/Hex Cmd you need to enter: 54 E8. Make sure the radio box for Hex Cmd is selected. This will make much more sense when you're looking at the screen in IR.

Also, some times learned signals can override a keymove, so make sure you delete the learned signal for the Satellite select command when you test the keymove.

If you want to create your own upgrade, you should check out this KM file: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1066
drosen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I made the JP1cable from Tommy Tyler's Rev. 5 article - it was very simple and it is now working. I used IR and downloaded the current contents from the remote - tomorrow I'll have to hunt around on the forum to get a better idea of what to do next so I can enter what you told me.

Thanks for the link to the KM file - I don't know what a KM file is yet (only rdf's), and unfortunately the link is broken - it gets me to an error page.

Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: