JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR Keymoves do not work with KeyMap Master device upgrade

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregcutshaw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: IR Keymoves do not work with KeyMap Master device upgrade Reply with quote

I have a kenwood Receiver and instead of learning all the keys to my RS 15-1994, I used the KeyMap Master upgrade text file created by DSBUTTS to upgrade the remote. The upgrade works fine for all keys under that device (AUX1, AUDIO, SETUP CODE 1206). So when I press the VOL+ key while the remote is in AUX1 mode, the volume on the receiver increases, etc.

The problem I am having is that when I use the IR Key Moves function to remap the AUX1 VOL+ key to the VCR VOL+ key, it does not work. There is currently nothing learned to the VCR VOL+ key and VPT is turned off. IR Key Moves does work for advanced setup codes for devices built into the remote. Does Key Moves in IR only work for moving keys within a device or can it map keys from one device to another? Should it also work with Device Upgrades? I had intended to use the Key Moves to set volume punch throughs so I would not have to learn the receiver volume to all the other devices.

I did paste all 3 sets of text into IR from Keymap Master. There were 3 blocks: Device Upgrade(including keymoves), Protocol and another key move set.

Again the upgrade works fine for the receiver but does not seem to function for Key Moves in IR from one device to another.

Greg
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, the easy answer: why don't you just turn VPT on and point it to AUX1?

Now, to do it the hard way with key moves, it sounds like you're probably using a 2-byte protocol, so to do key moves using IR.exe you would have to enter them in hex format. Given that, it would probably be easier to do the keymoves on the remote itself (ie, using the 994 command to copy the functions from one button to another). This way you are sure to get the right 2-byte hex codes. You can then clone these keymoves using IR.exe if you want to copy them to other device modes.
sfhub

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2-byte hex values can also be found on the Functions panel of
KeymapMaster, 2nd to last column.
gregcutshaw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Saga continues..... Reply with quote

I DID try the VPT. It does not work for CD or AUX2 punching through to AUX1 but it does work for TV, VCR and CBL/SAT punching through to AUX1. I have tried 997 erasing the remote and reloading from IR to no avail. Even tried different device types and setup codes for AUX2 and CD and was still unable to get punchthrough to work for those.

I DID try the IR Key Moves typing in the hex code and the remote transmits but nothing happens. Your suggestion to try the key remap 194 worked!!!! When I then uploaded to IR I see what the 994 operation was using, a completely different hex code than IR listed in the learned section was present in the remote. It was 2 bytes long instead of 1. Also the EFC was listed as "181 or 003" whereas it is listed as just "003" in KeyMap Master. 003 is one of the volume EFC commands but entering just that EFC in the Key Remap section of IR will not work. Neither will entering a single byte hex code as listed uner the IR learned keys section. I didn't think that "181" and "003" were repeat codes.

Net is I will use VPT for some devices and the 994 for others so my problem is solved. Well it was never really a problem but I wanted to figure out why the VPT and IR Key Remap was not working.

Greg
sfhub

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Saga continues..... Reply with quote

gregcutshaw wrote:
I DID try the IR Key Moves typing in the hex code and the remote transmits but nothing happens. Your suggestion to try the key remap 194 worked!!!! When I then uploaded to IR I see what the 994 operation was using, a completely different hex code than IR listed in the learned section was present in the remote. It was 2 bytes long instead of 1.

When you do a keymove for a 2-byte protocol you need to use the hex
value in the 2nd to last column of the KM/Functions panel. When I loaded
the kenwood device upgrade into KM it listed the following HEX values:

Vol Up - FF 26
Vol Dn - FF A6
Mute - FF C6

These would need to be entered as *hex* (not efc) values when you
create the KeyMove in IR. The alternate method Rob suggested should
have resulted in the same Hex values as above.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Saga continues..... Reply with quote

gregcutshaw wrote:
I DID try the VPT. It does not work for CD or AUX2 punching through to AUX1 but it does work for TV, VCR and CBL/SAT punching through to AUX1.

I know it doesn't work for those other modes, I suggested it because your original post gave me the impression that you were having problems in VCR mode.
gregcutshaw wrote:
I have tried 997 erasing the remote and reloading from IR to no avail. Even tried different device types and setup codes for AUX2 and CD and was still unable to get punchthrough to work for those.

There's no such function as 997, you probably mean 977 which is the function you use to delete learned functions one at a time. It's much easier to delete learned functions using IR.exe as you can delete all of them at once. To delete all of them at once using the remote, you would use the 981 reset, which deletes everything.
gregcutshaw wrote:
I DID try the IR Key Moves typing in the hex code and the remote transmits but nothing happens. Your suggestion to try the key remap 994 worked!!!! When I then uploaded to IR I see what the 994 operation was using, a completely different hex code than IR listed in the learned section was present in the remote. It was 2 bytes long instead of 1. Also the EFC was listed as "181 or 003" whereas it is listed as just "003" in KeyMap Master. 003 is one of the volume EFC commands but entering just that EFC in the Key Remap section of IR will not work. Neither will entering a single byte hex code as listed uner the IR learned keys section. I didn't think that "181" and "003" were repeat codes.

Net is I will use VPT for some devices and the 994 for others so my problem is solved. Well it was never really a problem but I wanted to figure out why the VPT and IR Key Remap was not working.

Greg

When IR looks at a learned signal, it looks at it in isolation, not as part of an upgrade. The problem with this particular upgrade is that it's a combo and therefore uses 2-byte hex codes. You can see the 2-byte hex codes in KM.
gregcutshaw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the calrifications! Reply with quote

I understand about the 2 byte code now. A few weeks ago I bought a HTM MX-500 and it's great. The OFA's are maybe more powerful even that the MX-500 if you use extenders, increase the memory and take advantage of IR and KeyMap Master. There's no question that the OFA's are much more fun to play with and this user group makes it a great hobby. Coupling a OFA with an Oscelot programmable controller would be a riot. Having IF-THEN-ELSE programming and IR,RF and computer I/O would be great. I am in the process of mapping a Mitsubihi CD-4030 remote to the 15-1994 for my Dad and will post the files on JP1 after I thoroughly verify them. With VPT, key mapping and device upgrades, I have taken his remotes 100% used learning memory down to just a few learned commands.

(wrong forum but:) I would love to see a compiler for the HTM MX-500 that would generate downloadable object code. With the LCD display and lots of memory, HTM makes very little use of this remotes potential. One thinks it must be a knee capped MX-700 inside waiting to have an interface connector added.

Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: