JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OT: Palm IR reader

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay Mc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: OT: Palm IR reader Reply with quote

Does anybody know of a Palm OS based IR reader? I have a Sony Clie that I'd like to use to grab and copy various codes to use it as a remote. The codes I need to grab are from a non retail remote that uses IR to program industrial equipment in potentially explosive environments. The remote sells from the manufacturer for $600. Any help appreciated.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you planning to use the result in potentially explosive environments? Or do you just need to use that set of IR codes in some other environment.

A typical remote or PDA will usually generate internal sparks if you drop it while it is running, sometimes even if it isn't running. The most common cause is contact bounce on the batteries, but there are other causes. It's not a good idea to use something that can create a spark in an environment where a spark can create an explosion.

Maybe you mean a remote is used through a glass wall to program equipment in an environment where the remote and/or its operator shouldn't go. In that case you need a strong IR emitter. I though I read in some related forum that a Sony Clie doesn't have a strong IR emitter.
Jay Mc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The equipment is for use in potentially explosive environments, the PDA would only be used with a hot work permit at this facility. It's life saftey equipment and I have all the necessary training and know the required protocols. Distance is not an issue...

Nobody wanna tackle this one?
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might also seal it in a zip-loc bag for extra insurance.

Jim
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the specifics, but I've heard that Sony has IR software for their PDA's (many come with it out of the box). You might want to check Sony support and/or one of the many Sony Clie forums. There's also OmniRemote, which supports the Clie.
Jay Mc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no go on the sony but that omni-remote might be an option, Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: