JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adding two button codes to existing setup code

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alxgdwn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Adding two button codes to existing setup code Reply with quote

I have a combo TV/VCR/DVD player: Toshiba MW27FP1 that responds to the following codes on my URC-6131 (TV-0156, VCR-0045, and DVD-1045). The original remote control, which I have has two buttons to switch between TV/VCR and DVD modes that are in none of the setup codes. OFA says there are no advanced codes for these buttons on my remote.

I have a learning remote and know the TV/VCR button is NEC Device 68 and OBC 17, and the DVD is NEC1 Device 68 OBC 32. I want to add these to the existing TV setup code 0156.

Rather than relearning all of those codes to create a new device with KeyMaster, I'm planning to create a two new devices (since they have different protocols), one with each control, and then do a key move within IR. Is this the right approach? Can I somehow load the original 0156 and modify it? And finally, why does NEC appear as a protocol within IR, but not as a selection within KeyMaster. Thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "NEC" decode is probably the result of a learning mistake, it's most likely also an "NEC1" signal.

If NEC1 device 68 (with no sub-device) is the right decode, you don't need to create a dummy upgrade, you can use either of the following built-in setup codes:

VCR/0045
CD/0437
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Adding two button codes to existing setup code Reply with quote

alxgdwn wrote:

I have a learning remote and know the TV/VCR button is NEC Device 68 and OBC 17, and the DVD is NEC1 Device 68 OBC 32. I want to add these to the existing TV setup code 0156.

It's easiest to do that with a couple KeyMoves, rather than make any sort of upgrade. As Rob indicated (and as you already knew from other functions of your device) VCR/0045 can be used for commands needing NEC1 device 68.

alxgdwn wrote:
Can I somehow load the original 0156 and modify it?

TV/0156 is in the 15-1994 so you can copy most of its internal details from the old devices4.xls file (in one of the JP1 file areas, I forget which).
Also all Toshiba TV's use about the same IR signals, so you could duplicate TV/0156 by downloading almost any Toshiba TV upgrade.

But you haven't indicated any reason why you should want a modified TV/0156 (vs. just using a few keymoves).

alxgdwn wrote:
And finally, why does NEC appear as a protocol within IR, but not as a selection within KeyMaster.

As described in the DecodeIr online documentation (which no one seems to read) NEC is not a protocol. NEC is a name output by the decoder when an NEC1 or NEC2 signal was learned with such a short original press that it can't tell whether it was NEC1 or NEC2.

While the decoder can't tell, you can. You know which other signals are for the same device and you see that some of those are NEC1 and none are NEC2. Few devices mix NEC1 with NEC2 and those do so with a clear pattern (If they're mixed at all, continuous repeat commands like VOL would be NEC2 and most signals NEC1). Since these aren't continuous repeat commands, and you saw no other NEC2 commands, you can deduce those NEC decodes were all really NEC1.
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Adding two button codes to existing setup code Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
As described in the DecodeIr online documentation (which no one seems to read)

This is a good point. I know what DecodeIR.dll does and why it's important, and I still had to do a search to find the URL. There should be a sticky post that links to the zip file and to the documentation at least in the Code Search section (and maybe here as well). John, if you don't mind, I'd be happy to write the post.
alxgdwn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you assistance Rob and John! I'm still having trouble moving the key, however. Here's what I've done:

1. Verified that VCR/0045 with EFC 121 and 213 work (set the VCR button on my remote to setup code 0045 and then hit "set" followed by 121 and got the desired response). They do! (Still not sure how Rob knew NEC1 Dev 68 used this code)
2. Programmed this button using the remote to buttons (PIP and Swap) under the VCR Device button.
3. Downloaded from the remote into IR and viewed
4. Cloned the key moves, and only changed the bound device key to TV since I want VCR/0045 EFC 121 to work when I have TV selected.
5. Uploaded to remote

Unfortunately this does not work. I did notice a few things I thought were strange:
a) the EFC/Key name from the key moves I saw in step three weren't 121 and 213 as I expected, they were "201*(Use Hex)" and "100*(Use Hex)" respectively which may be why I had trouble entering them directly from within IR.
b) Also, when I changed the Bound Device from VCR to TV in step 4, it changed the Hex and EFC names. I can't manually change these to make them the same as what worked under the VCR device.

I apologize if this is a silly mistake, but I could find little documentation about how to properly perform key moves.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why things are getting messed up in IR.exe but I do know that keymoves are stored differently in the URC-6131 than how they are stored in most other remotes.

So, here's what I suggest that you do.

1) Assign VCR/0045 to the TV device button (using IR.exe) and upload to the remote.
2) Program the 2 keymoves in TV mode.
3) Download using IR.exe and change the TV button back to TV/0156, but leave the keymoves in place.
alxgdwn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That did the trick! It's a good workaround for programming key moves for the URC-6131. Thank you very much for the support.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time someone needs help with a 6131 I forget that KeyMoves are trickier than with other JP1 remotes, and I tend to give the usual "just use a KeyMove" advice.

I'm sure I'll forget again next time. Sorry.

"Just use a KeyMove" was technically correct, but should have been immediately suplimented with a work around (as Rob gave above) for the problems inherent in defining such a KeyMove through IR.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, I thought we'd already fixed IR to handle the URC-6131 keymoves, so it should have worked.
alxgdwn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IR.exe I was shipped with the JP1 cable I ordered in June was ver. 5.05 which must be very old. I just downloaded the newest version (6.15 at the time of this post) and IR.exe worked perfectly assigning a few other buttons so the workaround should not be necessary.

(I could kick myself for not downloading directly from the site, and wish I had been sent the most recent copy by the JP1 cable assembler. Hope this info helps you sleep better.)

Thanks again.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we had fixed it, I shoulda asked what version you were using.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: