JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC8780 Dead
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pro_tron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: URC8780 Dead Reply with quote

Hey I am a newbie to this forum. I just found out about JP1 and am looking forward to getting into it. I have three OFA remotes Cinema 7 URC9800 and URC8780. The 8780 is not working at this time. When I put batteries in it the LED blinks twice then all is dead no lcd or anything. I got this remote from someone who never used it. They put batteries in it then did not like it, or could not figure it out. Anyway by the time they gave it to me the batteries had leaked. I cleaned it up real good and all looks normal except for a little corrosion on the + contact. I have connected it to a 6VDC power supply directly to the board and it does the same thing, LED blinks then nothing. I have an IR repeater system in my home that blinks when it picks up ANY IR, I tried some of the buttons on that so I know it is not putting anything out. Can this remote be saved or should it be replaced.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a 981 type reset on it?

Jim
pro_tron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To perform this reset do you just hold the setup key and enter 981. When I hold the setup key the led does not blink but I did try to enter 981 with no results.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to your first post, when you first put fresh batteries in the led blinked twice, that indicates it reset. Pressing and holding down the setup key for a while (few seconds) should have gotten you two blinks(make sure batteries are in). If you get the two blinks, release setup and press "9,8,1" and should get 4 more total blinks (2 sets of doubles).

If you're not getting any blinks for holding setup, I'd guess that the keys aren't working at all. There are several things that could cause this, so let's first see if the pcb's traces are ok. Take the remote apart, leave everything in the bottom shell half, including batteries. You should see what'll look like intertwined "S" traces, these will be the button contacts. Take something metallic and bridge just the contacts for ONE button and see if the led flashes. I'd suggest picking the one that corresponds to the setup button. IF that passes(led blinks) come back and report.

Jim
pro_tron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I push and hold the setup button nothing happens. I have had it apart and the board and all the traces look fine. I took your advice and shorted the contacts on the setup with the keypad off with no luck.
thanks for the help!
usblipitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure you are doing the reset right, but just in case:

FULL RESET (aka 981 reset)
1) Hold the SETUP key until the LED blinks twice
2) let go of the SETUP key
3) Enter 9-8-1
JP1Files
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not boding well. If shorting the traces for a button HAD lit the led, then it would have narrowed the problem down to something connected with the membrane, perhaps the cunductive material under the buttons, etc.

apply some voltage across the terminals (legs) for the led itself. If it lights then the led isn't faulty. It's hard to imagine that it blinked twice then burned out.

Jim
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, come on now. The dead remote in question is a URC-8780, which is an LCD remote, so you don't use 9xx type functions on it. Plus, he said that after the two flashes of the red LED it doesn't respond to any butons.

The first thing I would look for is a button trapped behind the casing, this happens sometimes. If you press a button down too hard, or maybe don't poke it back through the hole proerly after opening up the remote, what you get is a button permanently held down, which would cause the remote not to respond to any other buttons.
pro_tron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LED blinks every time I put the batteries back in. It does not light at all when I hold the setup button. I have held it for awhile and release then entered 981 and I have entered 981 while holding the setup button. I am thinking it may be FUBAR.
pro_tron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob
I have thought of that as well. I powered it up with out the keypad and it did the same thing. Is there a different reset procedure for this remote.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pro_tron wrote:
Is there a different reset procedure for this remote?
Sorry I missed the boat thinking your remote is non-LCD, and Kudos to Rob for setting james and me straight. In answer to your question, here is how you do a 981 style reset on a remote with an LCD screen:

1) Hold SETUP till screen reads "CODE SET"
2) Press RECORD
3) Select MFR RESET from the LCD menu.

Credits: This is from a response by Rob over at remote central. It is about 7 responses down from the top.
Debits: Before anyone starts beating me up, I realize the remote in question's setup key does not work, so the above procedure is what the Borg claim resistance is to them Crying or Very sad
JP1Files
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Steve, wrong again, that RESET procedure is for remotes like the RCU810. The RESET procedure for the URC-8780 is spelled out in the manual on my site:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/manuals/p8/ofa.shtml?URC-8780#service-rs

But if the remote is acting dead, you won't be able to enter that procedure.

Another possibility is that the LCD screen has come loose, you could try opening it up and tightening the screws.

You mentioned that you have a Cinema 7 also, which I assume is the learning version, so here's an idea. Try learning from the URC-8780, that will tell you whether it's sending a signal at least.
pro_tron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robman
I have tried it with my Xantech IR repeater system in my home that flashes when it picks up any IR and it is not transmitting. I think it may be dead. I think it is good for parts however. This remote was never used.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you think you've exhausted all the "fix it" options, can I have the dead remote?
pro_tron

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update:
I got the interface cable built and hooked it up to the laptop. With thte magic of IR and the Interface cable when I plug the cable in I get a breif message on the lcd that says :MEM FAULT" but while it is connected to the computer it WORKS!!, transmits ir, lcd comes on when buttons are pushed etc. If I unhook it, it is dead again. Unfortunately the URC8780 is not a device that IR covers but it did give me the RAW DATA which is all Greek to me. My cable and IR software works great with my URC9800 but I haven't had a chance to play with it much. Is the URC8780 an uncommon remote? Anybody have any suggestions to restore the mem??
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: