JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

8810w, MX-500, JP1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tase2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: 8810w, MX-500, JP1 Reply with quote

On 10/28/03 19:46, cpurick said...
The MX-500 is a good remote "as is." You can use it to replace all your other remotes.

If you want to set up one button that turns everything "on," and another that turns everything "off," you will need to teach some special codes to your MX-500. That is one of the benefits of a good universal remote, and something most users here have done with theirs. When you use it like this, the MX-500 no longer just "replaces" your original remotes; instead it can do things above and beyond those individual remotes.

If your original remotes only have a single "power" button, then they will not be able to teach the necessary codes to your new remote. That is usually the case with most OEM remotes, even though the latest devices are capable of more precise control.

Cheap JP1 remotes have the ability to generate custom IR codes. That's a separate feature from their JP1 interface, but very useful if you're programming an MX-500. You can use the JP1 remote to teach custom "advanced" codes to your MX-500 that your devices will respond to -- codes that even the original brand remote can't transmit. Unless you're trying program the button layout on the JP1 remote (not necessary unless you're planning to use it as your everyday remote) you won't need the cable.

cpurick,

I ended up buying the 8810w.

I believe the only function I want from it at this time is discete codes for seperate "power on & "power off" for all my devices except the cable box-which I will leave on all the time.

So without a JP1 cable, but with the 8810w remote-what is the procedure to eventually have the power on & off ability on my MX-500.

Please be a specific as possible, like press x and then press y and then hold down x and point remote a at reomte b or type in xyz to remote a or b... You get the picture.

I am really starting to understand this stuff-I feel I am very close.

Thanks
Mark
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the JP-1 forum. It would be more appropriate to ask this non JP-1 question at a forum like RemoteCentral, OFA furum. Likely you'll get the answers from the same people anyway, but that's beside the point. if you finally decide to get a cable, and use JP-1, then this would be the appropriate place to ask questions about JP-1 issues.

Jim
tase2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I can appreciate that. I just thought that in a roundabout way this did have a little to do with JP1.

It is a JP1 type remote and I am asking how do learn some discrete codes without using the cable. If someone could just help with the
Quote:
Cheap JP1 remotes have the ability to generate custom IR codes. That's a separate feature from their JP1 interface, but very useful if you're programming an MX-500. You can use the JP1 remote to teach custom "advanced" codes to your MX-500 that your devices will respond to -- codes that even the original brand remote can't transmit. Unless you're trying program the button layout on the JP1 remote (not necessary unless you're planning to use it as your everyday remote) you won't need the cable
part.

Here again is my setup

A/V receiver: Pioneer VSX-D711

TV: Panasonic PT-40LC12

DVD: Panasonic RP62

HD Digital Cable Box: Motorola DCT5100 with an AT&T 200C Remote

Thanks
Mark
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Jim said, what you are asking is not a JP1 question, even though your remote is a JP1 compatible remote. You are asking a very basic question on how to use the remote and a question of this nature can be answered by reading my web site or by posting questions over at Remote Central.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP-1=reading and writing to the eeprom with the cable. No cable, no eeprom=no JP-1.

You won't "learn" the discretes codes to the remote, you'll program them to the remote (manually without a cable). The MX-500 will then LEARN them from the 8810W.

You are free to search the files at the yahoo JP-1 group and see if you can find a match for your equipment, then see if they even have the discretes listed. It will require "signing up".

If you have any further questions, or need additional help, please post them at the appropriate forum, remotecentral, OFA forum.

Be prepared to indicate the 8810W's setup codes for each device that at least partially works each unit.

I gave you some friendly advice before and you didn't want to take it. Non-JP-1 questions here are typically ignored, and you were at least pointed to the right place to ask your questions. www.RemoteCentral.com is the proper place for your posts. If and when you get a cable, and want to actually use JP-1, we'll be glad to give all the help we can, but expect to do at least some of the search/work.
Jim
usblipitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jim and Rob! But then again, I always agree with them!

The "how" is that you should follow the instructions that came with the 8810w to find the setup codes (4 digit codes listed by brand in the instruction book) and then set up your devices on the 8810w, just as though you were going to actually use the 8810w. Having done this, you can now press (for example) the DVD button, then press the SET button, then press the three digit code for discrete on or discrete off to generate the signal you can then use to teach your MX-500. Using the SET button followed by a three digit code (from 000 to 255), in theory you can generate every possible code that the DVD player takes (under most cirmumstances), even if these buttons do not exist on the original remote.

The "what" is the tricky part. Those three digits are elusive little bastards. One approach is to try all 256 codes to see which one discretely turns it on, and then try all 256 again to see which one discretely turns it off.

A less time consuming approach might be to go to those above mentioned forums where probably someone can tell you what you need to know.

If you buy a JP1 cable and use the learn feature of the 8810w to learn afew buttons from the original remotes, and then upload the information into IR.exe, and then tell us here what "protocol", "device" "subdevice" and "button codes" or "EFCs" are being used, someone here might be able to help you.
JP1Files
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: