JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JP1 capable of doing non-standard sony device?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shorton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: JP1 capable of doing non-standard sony device? Reply with quote

Hi guys:

I have a device that uses the Sony SIRCS 12 bit protocol. It has assignable device ID's, I normally make them non-standard sony devices so as to prevent interference from other sony remotes.

Can I use JP1 to program a JP1 compatible remote for a particular device ID and then program specific buttons to the functions I want?

i.e. as SIRCS 12 bit device ID 5 and commands 1 through 50

I have the sony Hex code and have made the ccf and mxf files, I'm just looking for a less costly alternative to a Pronto or MX-700 to control my device.

Thanks,
Scott
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very easy.

Use the KM spreadsheet or RM Java program to create an "upgrade".

Select the Sony12/15 protocol.

Specify the device ID you want on the setup sheet.

Specify the commands (called "OBC" numbers) you want on the functions sheet.

The above instructions, plus all the extra info you may need that is less Sony specific, are all in any of the various online documents and tutorials for JP1.

So the only extra info I'm really providing here is that what you call "SIRCS 12 bit" is what we call "Sony12" and what you call "commands" are what we call "OBC numbers".
shorton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thank you. Just any 'ol JP1 compatible remote be OK? Looking for inexpensive as possible and still do 50 functions.

I'd have 2 choices as I see it:
1) A model that might have enough buttons to actually use it in some logical manner, even though the button labels wouldn't match the "real" functions.
2) A inexpensive, bare bones model that wouldn't be used as the "real" remote, but as a "teacher" for a better learning remote like the URC MX-500.

Can you/anyone suggest a couple models that might best fit these 2 possible needs (mainly #2)?
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a CCF file, you should be able to convert that to JP1 compatible information using DecodeCCF (which uses DecodeIR)
Once you've done that, it should be straight forward to create a device upgrade for your device. You do that in either RemoteMaster or Keymap-Master (an Excel-only spreadsheet application). You then transfer that to IR and then upload to your JP1 remote.

A JP1 remote (I suggest the URC-8810w available at many Walmarts for about $18) will certainly be significantly less costly than a Pronto or MX-700.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)

Last edited by gfb107 on Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not always sure what close-out or other bargain JP1 choices are available.

But most of the time, the 8810w is both the best JP1 remote and the least expensive.

IIRC the current price at Walmart is $17.86
It is the identical remote to the 8811, but since Rob stopped trying to compete with Walmart's price, the 8811 price is higher than the Walmart version.

If you want several and don't mind soldering and don't mind a model with several fewer buttons (thought probably still enough to to work well as the "real" remote). You can modify the 6011 (AKA 6012w) to be JP1 capable by adding the eeprom, header and a jumper. It may still be hard to save enough vs. the 8810w to get any return on the extra work required.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, JP1 remotes support "shifted" functions (a calculator style shift by pressing a prefix key, not a typewriter style hold the shift key) so you can have the less commonly used functions available without taking up their own keys.

Also, JP1 remotes have multiple device modes, so you could divide your 50 functions between device modes if you picked a model without 50 available keys. I assume with a Pronto, you wouldn't cram all 50 functions onto one sheet.

The 8810w could give you 50 without such indirections. But any JP1 remote should be able to get you the 50 functions.
shorton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greg, help much appreciated, I'll try to swing by Walmart today and see if I can get this going...

Best,
Scott
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
If you have a CCF file, you should be able to convert that to JP1

He started with "Sony12", a device number and a set of OBC numbers. Then got to the CCF from there. So there is no point using the CCF file just to get back to "Sony12", a device number and a set of OBC numbers.

Also you need to disable Smilies to make your price estimate readable.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shorton wrote:
I'll try to swing by Walmart today

That reminds me:

We say "8810w" because it is unambiguous and OFA naming tends to be ambiguous. But when you look for it, be aware that 8810w is in small print on the package. The large print says something like "One for All 8".
shorton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John:

Thanks, the 8810w sounds perfect. I'll round one of those up. I'm a skilled solderer and have a nice iron, but time is precious these days and my quantities will be low, so the Walmart plan is the one.

Thanks again for the help.

Scott
shorton

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance a 4021w is JP1'able? My Walmart is a little one and didn't have the 8810w, I'll try a different WM tomorrow..

Thaks,
Scott
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shorton wrote:
Any chance a 4021w is JP1'able? My Walmart is a little one and didn't have the 8810w, I'll try a different WM tomorrow..

No chance what-so-ever, sorry.
shorton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shorton wrote:
Thanks, the 8810w sounds perfect. I'll round one of those up. I'm a skilled solderer and have a nice iron, but time is precious these days and my quantities will be low, so the Walmart plan is the one.
Well, no Walmarts 'roud here have the 8810w (or any all in one 8 device). Tried their website, too, no luck. Looks like they cut to Sony. I'd like to get something I know I can get on a repeatable basis. Is there another I can look for that would fit the bill - inexpensive JP1. A Radio Shack model? There are some 8011's on ebay cheap enough but that source may dry up quickly I figure.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8011's need an eeprom chip added.

I don't know of any good alternative to the 8810w/8811. If you can't get it from Walmart, next best is getting it online, such as from:

http://www.bluedo.com/bluedocgi/products.cgi?action=hifi

There it is $18.95 plus shipping.
shorton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. Is there a guide here for adding the eeprom. I can solder, have an account with digikey and mouser, and I believe my Walmart did have the 6012w. Maybe that will work for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: