JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JP1 Remotes in the UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RussellS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: JP1 Remotes in the UK Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am in the UK and have four OFA JP1 remotes that I have either picked up while on business in the states or that Robman has kindly shipped out to me. However, since I don't when (or if) my next trip to the states will be and the fact that Robman is winding down his remote sales I am trying to source a JP1 capable remote closer to home. I have read in these forums that the URC-7562 (OneForAll 6) is JP1 capable but I would like to know if it has already got the 6 pin connector fitted or if it will need modding.

Many thanks

Russell
uwereinert
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The URC-7562 is JP1-ready out of the box and it's well supported.

Uwe
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But be sure to take a look at a picture of the 7560/7562 before you buy it because, personally speaking, I think it's a pretty ugly remote.
RussellS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uwe: Thanks for the reply, it is good to know that there is no modding required.

The Robman: I know it's not the best looking remote available. However, our choices in europe are very limited (just look at the OFA uk website). I think the remotes you have available in the states are much better than over here. I even emailed OFA to complain about it but I didn't get any joy. This one may just tide me over until I get another trip to the states and I can pick up a URC-6131 PVR remote.

Thanks for the feedback

Russell
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya. I am well aware of the poor choice of vastly over-priced remotes that the European branch of OFA makes available. The new European Kameleons look nice, as far as Kameleons go, but they're not JP1 compatible yet.
RussellS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've just bought a URC-7562 and you were right, it's hideous. It's physically too wide to fit comfortably in the palm of your hand, there is no next/previous track buttons (only FFWD/REW) and the little flap at the bottom that hides the eight little buttons will not survive if my 2 year old son gets hold of it for 5 seconds. On top of that it cost £25 which is about $45 (US) compared to the others I have bought in the states that were around $20.

I am just trying to decide whether to keep it or return it to the shop and get a refund.

You live and learn

Russell
uwereinert
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellS wrote:
On top of that it cost £25 which is about $45 (US).

You lucky guy. In Germany, this remote is about 60 EUR, which is $77 (US) or £41.

Uwe
RussellS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You lucky guy. In Germany, this remote is about 60 EUR, which is $77 (US) or £41.

I guess the moral here is that "No matter how bad you feel, there is always someone worse off than yourself"

Russell
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's big, it's ugly but then so are my hands. Nubbly rubber bits on the back stop it sliding off your lap when you're in a laid-back mood and have a beer in the other hand. It's still a good starter device to get JP1-ing as it has a proper connector and can learn functions. Fitted with 2 rechargeable 2500 mAh batteries it lasts longer than the Kameleons between fuel stops. Got mine off eBay(UK) for £5 ($8) or thereabouts.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, I've just bought a URC-7562 and you were right, it's hideous.

Well I just bought a second-hand URC8550 (Topline 8) and it makes the 7562 look positively svelte by comparison. The 8550 has the useful feature of being able to operate even when the batteries are dead - it is physically so long that you can reach out with it and poke the TV buttons from the comfort of your armchair. It's like seeing a picture of a girl and then meeting her and discovering that she has size 10 feet. You may know the bit in the movie Terminator where the android gets lowered into the fire (or whatever, movie buffs) - well it's chunkier than the control used to lower the hoist in the movie.

Actual dimensions in cm, mm or inches are not easy to visualize; we need to define a unit of remote size (perhaps based upon the size of a standard DVD box - the Kameleon 8040 comes in at almost exactly 0.5 of a DVD box and the Topline 8 at about one DVD rental outlet). We also need some sort of measure of aesthetic beauty; Helen of Troy was beautiful so, perhaps, milliTroys or milliHelens might be acceptable? This, however, has been mooted before for feminine pulchritude so I open it to the forum community to decide upon some sort of way of classifying a remote in terms of physical size, aesthetic appeal and functionality.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smiley with shades 8) in the recent posting was not intentional; I tried to type:

[open bracket]Topline 8[close bracket]
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

underquark wrote:
The smiley with shades 8) in the recent posting was not intentional; I tried to type:

[open bracket]Topline 8[close bracket]

I fixed it for you. The way you can prevent that from happening is to check the "Disable Smilies in this post" box.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Unitentional Smileys Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I fixed it for you. The way you can prevent that from happening is to check the "Disable Smilies in this post" box.

Thanks, Robman - you're the greatest.
:!::D:eek::eek::squawk::gurgle:8)(*
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: